Restaurant Suggestion

mhelm

So I'm looking for a restaurant downtown on Wed. night - here's the requirements:

Close to VanAndel

Casual

Fairly cheap - under 20per person

Good selection & food (drinks don't matter thanks to Lent)

Quick in/out (hourish?)

Good for conversation

Suggestions? :dontknow:

Thanks in advance - I know you guys will wow me!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I'm looking for a restaurant downtown on Wed. night - here's the requirements:

Close to VanAndel

Casual

Quick in/out (hourish?)

Good for conversation

I would say that Z's fits all of those criteria.

For under $20/person? I guess without drinks. The Cottage Bar too.

I thought One Trick Pony was about 10-15 for an entree. Its been awhile since Ive been there, are prices higher than that?

And there's always the dog pit :lol:

I thought One Trick Pony was about 10-15 for an entree. Its been awhile since Ive been there, are prices higher than that?

And there's always the dog pit :lol:

I don't know, I've never gone there without having a few drinks, so my memory may be a little fuzzy :blush:

J. Gardella's fits the description:

Close to VanAndel - Right next to it on Ionia

Casual - Business people in suits and residents of heartside hang out here

Fairly cheap - under 20per person - A lot of food is in the $5 - $7 range

Good selection & food (drinks don't matter thanks to Lent) - A little more extended than the usual bar food

Quick in/out (hourish?) - Tell them you're in a hurry, they will accomodate

Good for conversation - The main floor is usually pretty subdued, the basement and 2nd floor are louder

Good selection & food (drinks don't matter thanks to Lent) - A little more extended than the usual bar food

Good for conversation - The main floor is usually pretty subdued, the basement and 2nd floor are louder

And you can throw peanut shells at each other...

Big O's new location at 80 Ottawa - yummy casual pizza/italian.

The Black Rose is pretty good - but I usually just go for the beer!

San Chez is always wonderful, but might not be what you had in mind. Lots of "little" plates of food and a bit more pricey. I take all my out of town guests there though.

Trixie

Close to VanAndel

Casual

Quick in/out (hourish?)

Good for conversation

Olive Express. Sam has launched extended hours, open until 8 pm. Did you want HUGE portions? Veggie options? Healthy? Great view of whatever's going on at Rosa Parks? Those are included.

(dang I sure do not like working at 28th St and I-96. Might have mentioned that previously.)

Olive Express. Sam has launched extended hours, open until 8 pm. Did you want HUGE portions? Veggie options? Healthy? Great view of whatever's going on at Rosa Parks? Those are included.

(dang I sure do not like working at 28th St and I-96. Might have mentioned that previously.)

Bulls head tavern.

To add to the list...

Monkey Bar downstairs at the BOB. Good atmosphere, I have always had good service. It is small plates as well, but you should be able to get 2-3 each for your $20 so you shouldn't be hungry. Bar/hightops, a few booths, nice round tables, or big comfy armchairs if you like.

The two main floor resturants are higher priced, and stay away from upstairs..IMHO..I have always had terrible service up there.

Without cocktails....most of the bars/restaurants in that area you could get through under $20 each.

Taps

Black Rose Irish Pub

McFaddens

Grand Woods Lounge

and all the ones mentioned above. :thumbsup:

Haven't eaten at Tapps, but of the other three Black Rose wins best food hands down.

I second Bull's Head. No question.. it's great food, good atmosphere, great location and if you stick to the sammich menu you could get two people out for under $20.00

i guess i have to third that suggestion. bull's head offers the best moderately priced menu downtown. absolutely delicious. i reccommend either the caribbean pork chops or theres a cajun steak that is phenomenal too. and as far as being close to the VanAndel, i think that everywhere downtown GR is fairly close to the arena. GR isnt that big....YET! :P

i guess i have to third that suggestion. bull's head offers the best moderately priced menu downtown. absolutely delicious. i reccommend either the caribbean pork chops or theres a cajun steak that is phenomenal too. and as far as being close to the VanAndel, i think that everywhere downtown GR is fairly close to the arena. GR isnt that big....YET! :P

Bulls Head is great. The only issue I have with it is that the tables on the first floor are a little too close together and it can sometimes be a little loud for conversations. I recommend trying to get a table on the upper floor.

Hey guys. Just thought I'd let you know that I approve of your collective recommendation. Good food & prices at Bull's Head. And great to see it fairly crowded on a Wed. night! :thumbsup:

FYI, although I'm partial to certain places in the area :whistling: .. I have to go with Gardellas on a wednesday. $4 decent food menu and 1/2 off drinks, can't beat it for a wednesday.. but now it's Thursday, so I guess my opinion isn't all that helpful.

FYI, although I'm partial to certain places in the area :whistling: .. I have to go with Gardellas on a wednesday. $4 decent food menu and 1/2 off drinks, can't beat it for a wednesday.. but now it's Thursday, so I guess my opinion isn't all that helpful.

Wow.. how did I forget Gardella's? :huh:

Wow.. how did I forget Gardella's? :huh:

I had them covered - :thumbsup:

Post #8 in this thread.

Archived