Market & Fulton

GRDadof3

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's pretty well known that Alticor owns that land. And it's probably THE best prime lot in downtown, bar none. Connected via skywalk to the Arena, hotels, multiple convention sites (present and future).

Activa is a Devos/VanAndel or whoever company. Their sign is on olds manor too.

It's pretty well known that Alticor owns that land. And it's probably THE best prime lot in downtown, bar none. Connected via skywalk to the Arena, hotels, multiple convention sites (present and future).

Yeah, this is a better spot for the retail mega center IMO.

One of the other GR threads mentioned that Nordstroms was coming to town. I think this would be a better location than at US131 & Ann St in my opinion. Maybe they will would build a retail project with Nordstroms and then have office/condos on the upper floors? Just my two cents. I am just happy to see all the projects in and around the Grand Rapids area!

Yeah, this is a better spot for the retail mega center IMO.

Well if Amway decided to move their HQ to that site, they could build a huge tower there that would command attention from anyone riding through the S-curve. As you head into the Market Ave overpass on northbound 131 the freeway curves slightly to the east there. Just before you hit that slight curve I think you'd be looking straight in the direction of that piece of property. I think the view on southbound 131 would be the same as you pass under the 196 overpass.

If the DeVos/VanAndel consortium wants to dominate the GR skyline a big corporate HQ building on that site could do it.

Depends on how high they want to go ;-) Im selling and moving to the burbs, just hope the new owner doesnt care. It will be across the street and shouldnt matter to much to the other owners.

tsk tsk tsk...

such a shame.

just means more condos for me :D

I hope you weren't too attached to the view :D

Remember how mad Sullivan was after the J.W. was announced....

"I can see 8 bridges, and after the new hotel is built, I will only be able to see 1.5 bridges, I want to be paid back for the depreciation in real estate value the new hotel is costing me."

Can't imagine he'd be happy about something going in on the other side.

:thumbsup:

Remember how mad Sullivan was after the J.W. was announced....

"I can see 8 bridges, and after the new hotel is built, I will only be able to see 1.5 bridges, I want to be paid back for the depreciation in real estate value the new hotel is costing me."

Can't imagine he'd be happy about something going in on the other side.

:thumbsup:

:lol: It doesn't matter who builds what; Sullivan will sue them. He's an equal-opportunist in that respect.

I also agree that it is way to expensive for a traditional meijer, and I think Meijer has their hands full right now trying to survive, not wedge themselves into metro areas. :)

Fred's already gotten a presence on most of the raw land highway exit sites that weren't used up by Sam. Now they are going where the customers are.

As someone who grew up 1-1/2 miles from the Tel-Twelve Mall, I was *very* happy when the abandoned K-Mart became a Meijer. It's a smaller store than they would like, and they can't have a gas station (already one on each of those busy corners), but they are doing gangbusters.

IIRC the Freep mentions new Shifty Takers (my nickname**, not theirs) elsewhere in the metro, and not just in the third-tier outer rings.

Now if they'd just pick up the similar site in Dearborn (on Ford Road across from the eponymous automaker HQ)...

**Because I hate the place! Every time I go in, stuff leaps into my cart! One container of kitty litter ends up costing me $50.

the "highlighted" letter to the editor in sunday's press was an opinion that he wanted a smaller version of meijer to locate dt -

i agree that dt doesn't need a supercenter, but a scaled back supermarket a the base of bldg would be a good addition to downtown in my opinion

Why Meijer? Why not a Spartan Stores store (Family Fare or D&W) downtown at Market & Fulton?

Spartan Stores is a local company, their stores are probably more suited for that location (size), and Spartan Stores already has five corporate-owned stores within the confines of the city limits of Grand Rapids (they haven't ignored the city of Grand Rapids). Meijer has just one store within in the city of Grand Rapids, and that is the Knapps Corner location (just barely within the city limits).

Why Meijer? Why not a Spartan Stores store (Family Fare or D&W) downtown at Market & Fulton?

Spartan Stores is a local company, their stores are probably more suited for that location (size), and Spartan Stores already has five corporate-owned stores within the confines of the city limits of Grand Rapids (they haven't ignored the city of Grand Rapids). Meijer has just one store within in the city of Grand Rapids, and that is the Knapps Corner location (just barely within the city limits).

Hate to nitpick - but: 28th/Kzoo and Plainfield are w/in the city limits.

Archived