Market & Fulton

GRDadof3

They "found out" about Amway in the mid-70's. The Federal Trade Commission finally lost the legal battle in 1979, legitimizing the multi-level marketing business model that DeVos and Van Andel defined.

Thanks Greedo :) I knew that, I was trying to be sarcastic. We need an "I'm being sarcastic" smiley. ;)

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really don't see any reason why Alticor would build anything like a "showroom" or even a facility to impress distributors like has been mentioned.

The distributors really have almost nothing to do with the company itself. Alticor's company, Access Business Group, makes products then puts them on the Quixtar Website along with 100's of other Partner stores. (Office Depot, Barnes and Noble, IBM, Bass Pro, etc.) That's really about it.

The distributors in the field are responsible for all the training, teaching, motivations, product education, etc. Honestly, most distributors would never have a reason to come to GR until they've achieved certain points of success and are awarded a trip to the corporation.

The conventions and seminars are rarely done in Grand Rapids.

They are currently completing an incredible project in California, Center for Optimal Health. but I don't see any reason to build anything geared towards distributors here.

Access Business Group - manufacturing and wharehousing for both Quixtar and contract work for other companies.

Quixtar - website, customer service, etc. I can't really see the reason for them to move with their huge building on Spaulding.

Pyxis Innovations - product development, etc. Again, I don't see them as being big enough to justify a whole development.

Nutrilite - huge health/nutrition company. Not based in GR though. Farms all over the world and headquarters in CA. (See previous link.)

Amway Hotel Corp - Grand Plaza, JW, Peter Island, etc. No need for a development here.

Alticor Aviation - no large jet hangers going in at Fulton/Market.

Better Life Institute - health/wellness educational institute. (Corporate wellness programs, etc.) They're currently moving from the Grand Plaza to a building they purchased downtown. I think it's actually the Z's building.

I think that's all the major companies that fly under the Alticor banner.

The Family's obviously have many "little" companies that handle their investments, security, etc. The VanAndel's have quite a bit of office space in Cascade in that "Charleviox" office park.

Of course there's the whole Orlando Magic and Magic Carpet Aviation, DPFox, Activa Funds, Activa Holdings, and other companies.

Dick DeVos has a manufacturing company in Holland.

Somebody earlier mentioned Pam's clothing line

I believe Dave VanAndel has his own nutritional company. Not sure anymore though.

Hope that helps. I don't see any of these as really needing a new development downtown.

eagle:

Quixtar's building on Spaulding is mainly warehousing though, with office space on the front side, if I'm not mistaken. If they needed to expand due to explosive growth, do you think Quixtar might pull the trigger on Market/Fulton just to be downtown? Their facility on Spaulding is now walled in by housing developments on 3 sides, and a railroad track on the other. I don't know, I'm just curious.

Dad, your attention to Quixtar leads me to think this is your guess.

Interesting:

• Quixtar was ranked No. 1 in online Health & Beauty sales by Internet Retailer in June 2004 and 2005.

• Quixtar was ranked No. 14 overall for online sales by Internet Retailer.

• IBOs powered by Quixtar generated approximately $5.3 billion in sales for Quixtar in its first six years, and nearly $400 million for Quixtar’s Partner Stores.

• IBOs have earned more than $1.7 billion in bonuses and incentives from Quixtar since it launched in 1999.

• Quixtar provides a low-cost, low-risk opportunity to operate a business of your own.

• Quixtar provides safeguards to ensure a positive experience for consumers and IBOs, including money-back guarantees.

-- http://www.quixtarfacts.com/

^^That's pretty good for a pyramid scheme! (Again, sarcasm ;) )

Dad, I guess it would make sense just to get in on the game before they necessarily need it. I'm just picturing a large development on that land and don't see the need, yet, for a huge new office space.

I suppose they could use the space that they need now and lease the rest?

As far as their Spaulding property it seems to be surrounded by a bunch of land, at least to the north and, I believe, west. I think there is a railroad track but I wonder if they could just build on the other side. I'm pretty sure there's a small building just north of Quixtar that's not being used.

Here's the google image I don't know how to add the picture here but it looks like plenty of land?

So I can't tell if you're playing devil's advocate or if you're hinting that it is Quixtar??!!

I know nothing about all the costs/risks/benefits/etc of relocating an office but if you were Alticor, wouldn't it make sense to keep your offices near the warehousing, and near the other inter-dependent companies that you own? (Provided you still have the space.)

Dad, your attention to Quixtar leads me to think this is your guess.

Interesting:

[*] Quixtar was ranked No. 1 in online Health & Beauty sales by Internet Retailer in June 2004 and 2005.

[*] Quixtar was ranked No. 14 overall for online sales by Internet Retailer.

[*] IBOs powered by Quixtar generated approximately $5.3 billion in sales for Quixtar in its first six years, and nearly $400 million for Quixtar

^^That's pretty good for a pyramid scheme! (Again, sarcasm ;) )

Dad, I guess it would make sense just to get in on the game before they necessarily need it. I'm just picturing a large development on that land and don't see the need, yet, for a huge new office space.

I suppose they could use the space that they need now and lease the rest?

As far as their Spaulding property it seems to be surrounded by a bunch of land, at least to the north and, I believe, west. I think there is a railroad track but I wonder if they could just build on the other side. I'm pretty sure there's a small building just north of Quixtar that's not being used.

Here's the google image I don't know how to add the picture here but it looks like plenty of land?

So I can't tell if you're playing devil's advocate or if you're hinting that it is Quixtar??!!

I know nothing about all the costs/risks/benefits/etc of relocating an office but if you were Alticor, wouldn't it make sense to keep your offices near the warehousing, and near the other inter-dependent companies that you own? (Provided you still have the space.)

Maybe not, it was just a thought. I'm not hinting anything. I'm trying to figure out what and who it is just like you guys are. I just don't have the time to do any investigative reporting :(

Maybe not, it was just a thought. I'm not hinting anything. I'm trying to figure out what and who it is just like you guys are. I just don't have the time to do any investigative reporting :(

It has to be tied to Alticor, unless the announcement is that alticor sold the land to project X

Quick its taking over the city! the red blob is everywhere, ohhh the humanity!

This link quotes Internet Retailor magazine...I tried their website but you have to purchase the report! I'm assuming that's what you mean by a trade magazine?

I'd say that qualifies :P Did I hear they have a new program for IBO's that allows them to set up a "virtual storefront" portal that links to the Quixtar website that is going gang-busters?

BTW: All these development rumors are giving me whiplash :silly:

I really don't see any reason why Alticor would build anything like a "showroom" or even a facility to impress distributors like has been mentioned.

The distributors really have almost nothing to do with the company itself. Alticor's company, Access Business Group, makes products then puts them on the Quixtar Website along with 100's of other Partner stores. (Office Depot, Barnes and Noble, IBM, Bass Pro, etc.) That's really about it.

The distributors in the field are responsible for all the training, teaching, motivations, product education, etc. Honestly, most distributors would never have a reason to come to GR until they've achieved certain points of success and are awarded a trip to the corporation.

The conventions and seminars are rarely done in Grand Rapids.

They are currently completing an incredible project in California, Center for Optimal Health. but I don't see any reason to build anything geared towards distributors here.

Alticor already has a showroom downtown for their beauty products, it is on the floor below my office in the Aldrich Place building.

Artistry Beauty Institute

Amway Grand/ABI

No reason to count out Amway. Maybe cheaper to have conventions, seminars and training in GR than going to Orlando. Maybe they've wanted to do this for sometime and were just waiting for continued growth in DT GR. As long as that company group is still building and investing in DT GR, there is no reason why they wouldn't add ANOTHER hotel with meeting facilities. In for a penny, in for a pound.

ok, color me stupid but what does that mean.....

In for a penny in for a pound is referring to the British unit of currency, the pound. If you think something is good enough to invest a smaller amount, then why not a larger amount.

Funny. Especially since you informed me of what "jacked up" is. You must be younger than me 'cause Jacked up used to mean "psyched", excited, etc.

Archived