Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rizzo

Grand Rapids Fireworks

In jeopardy unless that someone with $100,000 can foot the rest of the bill. http://wzzm.com/clix/videoclixdefault.asp?...&articleid=8497

I know someone around town that just almost has 100 grand that can drop this in a great "family attraction," just its being tied up with other things... Anyone with huge sums is asked to donate.

In jeopardy unless that someone with $100,000 can foot the rest of the bill. http://wzzm.com/clix/videoclixdefault.asp?...&articleid=8497

I know someone around town that just almost has 100 grand that can drop this in a great "family attraction," just its being tied up with other things... Anyone with huge sums is asked to donate.

Wouldn't it be really ironic if Mark London decided to donate $100,000 for this?

:w00t:

Really, yah, and it would be a game of "who can top this" between him and that group with loads of cash.

What a shame! Is there going to be a donation drive? Could there be enough small donations from the not-so-rich crowd to get this thing back on its feet? :(

They said the same thing about the fireworks last year. Now does the city pay for half, and require the rest be donated? How does this work?

I would think that it would be really cool to organize the event in a way that allowed for different companies to sponser the event. The city could facilitate this by giving the companies free advertizing like on the backs of buses or something. And the vendors could use cups that had sponsorships printed on them.

Anyone else care to comment?

There's got to be a way to get funding for this. How can GR be a "cool city" without fireworks? All this new development downtown can't come fast enough. GR's budget certainly could use some extra tax revenue.

There's got to be a way to get funding for this. How can GR be a "cool city" without fireworks? All this new development downtown can't come fast enough. GR's budget certainly could use some extra tax revenue.

There is still fireworks at Celebration, right? Just not the 4th?

I dunno. First the bathroom fiasco, now this . . .

Trixie

Wait a minute didn't some neighborhood group just donate 100 grand to fight londons strip club in the middle of no where? :rolleyes:

Wait a minute didn't some neighborhood group just donate 100 grand to fight londons strip club in the middle of no where? :rolleyes:

That was truley a waste of time and money since London and the Showgirl Galleria are going to stop the production of it anyways. I personally didn't have any problem with a strip club coming to GR... we're a growing city and growing cities will eventually have things that we all might not want anyways.

It would of been nice if that money is used for the fireworks, but oh well.

They said the same thing about the fireworks last year. Now does the city pay for half, and require the rest be donated? How does this work?

I would think that it would be really cool to organize the event in a way that allowed for different companies to sponser the event. The city could facilitate this by giving the companies free advertizing like on the backs of buses or something. And the vendors could use cups that had sponsorships printed on them.

Anyone else care to comment?

Last year I worked at the beer tent, which was added to provide revenue to cover costs. Pretty sure they didn't make thousand$. The set-up seemed to be very well thought out and, while not lavish, was certainly complete.

There was a lot of other stuff besides the boom-booms. Huge stage with a line-up of entertainers (including an Elvis with about a 20-pc band and back-up singers). I was talking to some men in uniform who said that every cop who wasn't on vacation was called in to suit up and help.

At the East Lansing Folk Festival they have volunteers who wander the grounds with donation buckets. They visit every venue and performance and make it easy to put a button on the drum.

This is just the beginning. In all likelihood there won't be a Polish, German, Hispanic or African-American Festival this year as well. We lost the Italian Festival years ago. Hell, the city doesn't even put up the wooden stairs on Richmond Hill for the sledders anymore.