Downtown Concord, NC

Neo

We ventured out to downtown Concord this past Sunday since it was a warm and sunny day! There is a nice little ice cream store in downtown that serves a large amount of ice cream for just $3 so we decided to join in with the other 25 or so people with the same idea. I'm not aware of much else to do in downtown Concord on Sunday but this place does bring in some business. Quite a few people had roller skates and bikes that had stopped by. I snapped a few pictures on the way there:

112557890_22269d079e.jpg

112557635_1c385a89f3.jpg

112557461_8fe1761932.jpg

112557000_430ffeb999.jpg

112556547_9b5e928b77.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice pics. Has Concord been drawn into any of the regional rail plans for Charlotte?

Not that I'm aware of but there could be something on the table that I'm not aware of. The closest thing would be a spur to Concord Mills/LMS but that is so many years out and I doubt it will become a reality for rail at least. I'm moving from Monroe to Concord and the change is a little better. At least Concord somewhat realizes the growth they are receiving but not to the extent that they really need.

Nice pictures - what is that building going up in the first picture?

Eh, it was just a quick walkthrough. I wouldn't mind going and spending more time and taking a better set.

The building going up is the new Concord Police Department HQ. Who knew there was so much crime in Concord! :ph34r:

Not that I'm aware of but there could be something on the table that I'm not aware of. The closest thing would be a spur to Concord Mills/LMS but that is so many years out and I doubt it will become a reality for rail at least. I'm moving from Monroe to Concord and the change is a little better. At least Concord somewhat realizes the growth they are receiving but not to the extent that they really need.

Well at least it's got a real town center. and a healthy one too. I've been surprised at how many towns I've seen in NC which have no town center or a TC that's so badly neglected it's like 24/7 ghost town.

I love downtown Concord. It always surprises me every time I see it, even though I know it is so nice.

As for rail, it is a part of the North Carolina passenger rail system, going between Charlotte, Greensboro and Raleigh. The whole corridor is being upgraded, eventually to provide high speed rail service. Concord isn't a stop on the High Speed Rail system being built on that corridor, but the local passenger trains between Raleigh and Charlotte will stop there, and also take advantage of the higher speed limits.

Drove down Union Street in DT Concord the other night and noticed a ton of homes for sale along that street. These aren't cookie cutter homes, they seem to be nice, large, historic homes that have some character. Apparently a new jail is going up in DT on Union Street though, so that is the reason for all of the homes being for sale. It's a great way to ruin the character of a neighborhood for sure.

This is why I love UP. I didn't even know Concord had a downtown. Isn't that sad? I feel so ashamed... How does one find DT Concord anyway? Thanks for the pics.

Well, there is more than one way to get to DT Concord, it all depends on what direction you're coming from. I'll tell you the best way I know (I'm not originally from Concord) though. Take Hwy 29 (North Tryon) until you get to the merger of 29/601. Right before the merge of 601 into 29 you keep right onto Cabarrus Avenue and you'll run right into DT Concord. There is some construction going on so you'll need to stay in the left most lane on Cabarrus Avenue to cross 601.

Well, there is more than one way to get to DT Concord, it all depends on what direction you're coming from. I'll tell you the best way I know (I'm not originally from Concord) though. Take Hwy 29 (North Tryon) until you get to the merger of 29/601. Right before the merge of 601 into 29 you keep right onto Cabarrus Avenue and you'll run right into DT Concord. There is some construction going on so you'll need to stay in the left most lane on Cabarrus Avenue to cross 601.

Thanks, Neo. I'll check it out this weekend.

Archived