Cigarette tax hike introduced in House

krazeeboi

This week, Democrats in the House are introducing a plan to increase the state's cigarette tax to 39 cents per pack. Proceeds from the increase would pay for health insurance for small businesses and low-income residents.

Our current 7 cents per pack tax is the lowest in the nation. The 32-cent increase would place South Carolina's tax slightly higher than Georgia's 37-cent tax and North Carolina's tax, which in July will move to a 35 cents a pack.

I kinda wish they wouldn't hike it THAT high; increasing it to 30 cents would be good, keeping our rate under GA's and NC's.

Oh yeah, and Rep. Altman from Charleston is retiring. I think we've had enough of his shenanagans in the Statehouse. :thumbsup:

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im all for it. This would at least get us into the double digits. Right now we have the lowest cigarette tax in the nation- ranked 54th behind DC and the territorie. The national average is 91.7 cents.

I think we should move it up to $1.

http://www.tobaccofreekids.org/research/fa...ts/pdf/0097.pdf

I really wish we weren't actually last in everything.

This week, Democrats in the House are introducing a plan to increase the state's cigarette tax to 39 cents per pack. Proceeds from the increase would pay for health insurance for small businesses and low-income residents.

Our current 7 cents per pack tax is the lowest in the nation. The 32-cent increase would place South Carolina's tax slightly higher than Georgia's 37-cent tax and North Carolina's tax, which in July will move to a 35 cents a pack.

I kinda wish they wouldn't hike it THAT high; increasing it to 30 cents would be good, keeping our rate under GA's and NC's.

Oh yeah, and Rep. Altman from Charleston is retiring. I think we've had enough of his shenanagans in the Statehouse. :thumbsup:

Yes, Altman is retiring but him and Arthur Ravenel are planning to make moves in the charleston county school board..... They don't like the superintendent.

Actually, according to WYFF, both Republicans and democrats introduced this plan, not just democrats like me.

Yea, if you don't like smoking just tax it thru the stratosphere so the "poor and uneducated", as smokers are often referred, will have to decide on either feeding their children or lighting up. Funny that many of the same people that want to increase the tax by a dollar also supported the finding that nicotine is more addicting than crack.

While I have no problem with smokers paying higher health insurance premiums, or with smoke free restaurants (not bars), over taxing a vice is a dangerous precedent. What's to stop government from slapping a $2.00 tax on every 6-pack, or a $5 tax on that bottle of Crown Royal.

My brother lives in NJ, and he tells me that there is a huge black market in cigarettes, which could happen here.

A tax hike is inevitable; it just needs to be kept at a modest level..25-30 cents MAX.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, the bill has actually gotten out of a subcommittee, for the first time. There are actually two proposals here: One bill raises the tax to 39 cents a pack, up from the nation's lowest at 7 cents, and uses the money to expand Medicaid programs for children and make health insurance available to low-income workers. The second raises the tax by 30 cents and allows the Legislature to later decide how to spend the money. That proposal comes with a corresponding reduction in state income taxes, similar to what Gov. Mark Sanford pushed in 2003.

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...

^^^ Your point is well taken Krazeeboi, however second hand smoke really offends me for some reason. lol :ph34r:

Spartan, I'll tell you this, as much as I love Atlanta I am amazed by the amount of smog the city can produce. You can see it from many miles off as you approach the city. I think the largest share of SC's air pollution problems come from the many coal power plants located in the Tennessee River Valley. Just look at how it affects the Smoky Mountains and the mountains of NC,SC and the cities in our Upstate. Especially when you look at the damage being done by the acid rain and ozone pollution.

I dont think automobile emissions are really comparable to second hand smoke. With smoking people can quit if they really wanted to. With a car we have to drive to get to work unless we live right in the city. Maybe we could drive cars with cleaner burning fuel systems though! Ive just always been against smoking. I hate to see what it does to some people.

Spartan, I'll tell you this, as much as I love Atlanta I am amazed by the amount of smog the city can produce. You can see it from many miles off as you approach the city. I think the largest share of SC's air pollution problems come from the many coal power plants located in the Tennessee River Valley. Just look at how it affects the Smoky Mountains and the mountains of NC,SC and the cities in our Upstate. Especially when you look at the damage being done by the acid rain and ozone pollution.

I dont think automobile emissions are really comparable to second hand smoke. With smoking people can quit if they really wanted to. With a car we have to drive to get to work unless we live right in the city. Maybe we could drive cars with cleaner burning fuel systems though! Ive just always been against smoking. I hate to see what it does to some people.

Archived