Cigarette tax hike introduced in House

krazeeboi

There ya go! :thumbsup:

Yesterday, the House voted to raise the cigarette tax by 30 cents. However, they voted not to spend the estimated $107 million a year a higher tax would raise on health care or smoking prevention. Instead, money would go to cut the sales tax on groceries to 1.4% from 3%.

The bill faces an uncertain fate in the Senate, where some members are reluctant to raise taxes in a year when the state has a budget surplus. The Senate

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It shouldn't be an issue of how to spend extra money for this lot of people. Its sure as hell never been a problem in the past, even when there isn't extra money to spend. I'm sure there's another bean museum that needs funding.

I'm not fond of the cigarette tax because, in my opinion, it is a tax to try and punish smokers. That's OK if they use the tax for the greater good, like reducing tax on something else. If the money goes into a general fund and can be used for useless stuff like, say, a bean museum, I'm dead set against it and don't want it to pass.

Just for the record, I don't smoke.

The last I heard was that they were proposing to lower the tax on groceries to offset the increase in cigarette tax, but I think they are still unsure of exactly what to do. I think at least some of it should go to health care and smoking prevention.

When it comes to a common tax, then I will generally agree with the notion of lowering taxes somewhere else to compensate. I have to agree with Krazee though, cigarettes are a luxury, so tax the hell out of them. I also agree with putting 100% of the income from this tax towards healthcare initiatives.

Oh, jeez, don't let the legislators hear you say that!

I disagree with taxing the hell out of luxury items. Perfume is a luxury item that some object to the smell of. Should that be taxed out the wazoo just because it is a luxury?

Almost everything we buy is a luxury, when you get right down to it. I don't want these items taxed just because of that.

When it comes to a common tax, then I will generally agree with the notion of lowering taxes somewhere else to compensate. I have to agree with Krazee though, cigarettes are a luxury, so tax the hell out of them. I also agree with putting 100% of the income from this tax towards healthcare initiatives.

You can make that argument with any law. Change cigarette for the word "gun control." I personally don't know of anyone who is against raising cigarette taxes- thought I guess some people who smoke are probably not in favor of it, which is understandable.

• 1 month later...

^Because surpluses don't last forever, and you don't establish ongoing programs based on a one-time surplus. And I doubt the surplus is due to overtaxation, as we've been having surpluses for the past few years now. Surely someone would have made a major fuss if that was the reason.

Archived