Grand Rapids' Best Restaurants

dbrok

The restaurant threads have been popular on UP, but no one's listed their favorites overall so far.

So here we go (in no particular order):

1. Honey Creek Inn

2. Big Bob's Pizza

3. Yesterdog

4. Pita House (the one in Eastown)

5. Bulls Head

Honorable mention: Wealthy Street Station

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like fun, I'll play :D

1. Marie Catrib's

2. Bombay Cuisine (Rojan Josh (spicy lamb over rice) is my favorite, so yummy!)

3. Noodles (sorry not local, but I love Japanese Pan noodles)

4. Honeycreek Inn (also one of my favorites!)

5. Cherry Deli (I love that the menu items are named after GR Streets)

Now I'm hungry...

While I would normally list these by whether each one served a good bottle of wine or suds, I tried to be very honest. It would have been easier to list all of the one's I hate. :sick:

Here are my favorite joints in GR:

1. Tokyo Grill (best, dead, raw fish around)

2. Seven Mares (Seven Seas)

3. Marie Catribs (fresh always rocks!)

4. XO (new Thai place d-town)

5. The Heritage (ode to Chef Angus)

1. The 1913 room (one of the best kept secrets anywhere! even with thier well deserved 5 diamond rating they are constantly overlooked in Grand Rapids)

2. San Chez

3. Rose's

4. (R.I.P.) Firehouse Grill - good wine and a strong commitment to local/sustainable products

5. My house with a day to cook + between Russo's and Matha's I can beat any wine list in town (except maybe the 1913 room)

Overall there are increasingly better options in Grand Rapids in the past 5 years. I hope that with the continued development down town that we develop more independent restaurants so we can some day become a dining destination. ....Or I can continue to go to Chicago for the weekend just to go out to eat at Topolobampo, Le Colonial, Shaw's or any of the other great restaurants that line thier streets.

.Or I can continue to go to Chicago for the weekend just to go out to eat at Topolobampo, Le Colonial, Shaw's or any of the other great restaurants that line thier streets.

Cafe Iberico in Chicago is a great place. Shaw's was a bit pricey, yikes!! ($180 for three people)

San Chez looks like it made everyone's list.

San Chez looks like it made everyone's list.

Thought about adding it as the food is excellent and unique (and the Sangria is very good). My only knock on San Chez is that the portions aren't very large for the money. For instance when you order the Banderillas de Pollo (chicken skewers with sausage) you only get four that aren't very large for like $8 or $9. If you're looking to really fill up, San Chez isn't the best value overall.

I wasn't that impressed with Cafe Iberico. Maybe it's because I was introduced, and got hooked on Tapas at San Chez and the Monkey Bar. Cafe Iberico's food didn't seem to have the same "holy crap that tastes good :w00t: " sensation that I get when I eat at San Chez.

I wasn't that impressed with Cafe Iberico. Maybe it's because I was introduced, and got hooked on Tapas at San Chez and the Monkey Bar. Cafe Iberico's food didn't seem to have the same "holy crap that tastes good :w00t: " sensation that I get when I eat at San Chez.

Next time you're in Chicago, give Cafe BaBaReeba a try--it beats Iberico in food and atmosphere.

1. The 1913 room (one of the best kept secrets anywhere! even with thier well deserved 5 diamond rating they are constantly overlooked in Grand Rapids)

2. San Chez

3. Rose's

4. (R.I.P.) Firehouse Grill - good wine and a strong commitment to local/sustainable products

5. My house with a day to cook + between Russo's and Matha's I can beat any wine list in town (except maybe the 1913 room)

Overall there are increasingly better options in Grand Rapids in the past 5 years. I hope that with the continued development down town that we develop more independent restaurants so we can some day become a dining destination. ....Or I can continue to go to Chicago for the weekend just to go out to eat at Topolobampo, Le Colonial, Shaw's or any of the other great restaurants that line thier streets.

Your above Chicago choices are great but my new favorite is Sweets and Savories in Lincoln Park

www.sweetsandsavorieschicago.com

Next time you're in Chicago, give Cafe BaBaReeba a try--it beats Iberico in food and atmosphere.

Where's it located? The thing I liked the best about Cafe Iberico is that two of us got out of there cheap! (probably less than $40 with wine) :) We can't afford $100 dinners every time we go out.

Where's it located? The thing I liked the best about Cafe Iberico is that two of us got out of there cheap! (probably less than $40 with wine) :) We can't afford $100 dinners every time we go out.

Cafe BaBaReeba is on N. Halsted between Armitage and Fullerton. Parking might be a challenge, but its a short walk from the Armitage "L" stop.

Archived