Grand Rapids Media

Par75

And why does mlive.com continually ask me for my zip code, sex, and year of birth? Over, and over, and over again... :angry:

:P For a while I put in 1900 for the year, but I guess they got wise because they won't let you do that any more. But now they're really missing out on demographic info for that coveted 100 and older internet user market.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:P For a while I put in 1900 for the year, but I guess they got wise because they won't let you do that any more. But now they're really missing out on demographic info for that coveted 100 and older internet user market.

I'm usually a 1913-1930's type o guy.. I HATE that crap.

And why does mlive.com continually ask me for my zip code, sex, and year of birth? Over, and over, and over again... :angry:

I always hit the outside of the country link...much faster.

The only thing mlive is good for is if you're looking for a job at Spectrum Health. I swear that's the only employer that comes up for jobs. Also if I'm bored at night and want to hear what the coworkers are up to the scanner's kind of cool.

Speaking of Media, does anyone else see a red flag if this becomes common practice? The end of news integrity?

Link

Advertisers get piece of local news shows

By Gail Schiller

While just about every television genre has jumped on the lucrative branded entertainment bandwagon, news programs generally have been considered off-limits to product integration to preserve editorial integrity.

But with TV stations facing increased competition and pressure on advertising revenue, the barriers that shielded news programming from production integration and placement deals are falling. Product placement, media and branded entertainment agencies say they are increasingly being pitched opportunities from local stations to integrate their clients' products into news programming in exchange for media buys or integration fees.......

The invisible wall between adv and journalism goes back and forth. You'll find this secretly happen, then it will be exposed, then some newsroom will stop the practice, use it as a new, "journalistic integrity campaign" and then everyone else will follow. Then owners will want more profits and the whole thing starts again.

The radio industry is horrible with regards to this. Right now, if you're a business, and you want to talk with a Citadel DJ (LAV, Thunder, BBL, KLQ) from a news perspective, you gotta be an advertiser. It's a joke. Not to mention unethical.

How about news breaks on music radio? Between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. I have the choice of all music or all talk unless I want to play with the dial.

Maybe a few brain cells have died over the years, but I seem to remember catching short news breaks every hour on the music station I used to listen to back in the 70s and 80s.

I would love an AM edition of a daily newspaper. I subscribe to the GR Press but can't read it until I get home in the afternoon. I peruse the online version of the Washington Post in the AM but it lacks the tactile experience of actually reading a paper.

As for the rest of the media in GR..... I watch channel 8 more out of habit than anything else. The whole "mystery development" is enough to make me sick - report something newsworthy!! The daybreak on Channel 8 is nothing more than 2 hours of the same story repeated every 2 minutes.

I subscribe to Grand Rapids magazine but I think it has suffered in terms of quality over the last few years. I rarely find anything of interest in the magazine and prefer the style of Traverse magazine better.

Grand Rapids does seem to have an infatuation with weather! Has anyone checked out Bill's Blog on woodtv.com? I like it and I'm not even a fan of weather. Check it out if you get a chance.

It is difficult to come home to Grand Rapids and watch the newscasts. It does feel like you are watching public access sometimes. The overall feel of it seems cheaper; the stories sometimes a little thin. However, I do have to say for Chicago being the third largest market; there are a lot of buffoons, and mistakes on our newscasts! It pretty ridiculous, as it happens quite a bit. Whether it is a newscaster bumbling or a tape that isn

It is difficult to come home to Grand Rapids and watch the newscasts. It does feel like you are watching public access sometimes. The overall feel of it seems cheaper; the stories sometimes a little thin. However, I do have to say for Chicago being the third largest market; there are a lot of buffoons, and mistakes on our newscasts! It pretty ridiculous, as it happens quite a bit. Whether it is a newscaster bumbling or a tape that isn

Yes. I remember when Jim Riekse was a major investigative reporter for WZZM, and even did a fairly critical series on the GR Press for its coverage of former GRPS superintendant John Dow. It sounds like Channel 13 has gone downmarket considerably.

Ever since Gannett bought WZZM it has. I don't know why since Gannett is a news paper company that its newscast would fall so miserably. But WXMI right now in terms of actual quality is probably the best in GR. Of course they are owned by Tribune, so maybe that explains it. (Tribune seems to care more about news, then the USA Today people)

I don't mean to beat this topic to death, but I just cannot watch Geha.

Having lived in the Detroit and Grand Rapids area, GR is pitifully lacking in news talent. And I do understand that it's a smaller market, but still. I've always been loyal to the NBC affiliate (Channel 4 in Detroit), but I cannot watch Geha.

I prefer Fox 17. Although their broadcast doesn't have the "big city" feel, I enjoy the reporters and newscasters.

Geha oozes way too much giddiness for me. Perhaps this is just a reflection of their cover of the mystery development and I'm being too harsh. But I seriously think she should be replaced.

And the weather fetish is quite amusing!

Having lived in the Detroit and Grand Rapids area, GR is pitifully lacking in news talent. And I do understand that it's a smaller market, but still. I've always been loyal to the NBC affiliate (Channel 4 in Detroit), but I cannot watch Geha.

I prefer Fox 17. Although their broadcast doesn't have the "big city" feel, I enjoy the reporters and newscasters.

Geha oozes way too much giddiness for me. Perhaps this is just a reflection of their cover of the mystery development and I'm being too harsh. But I seriously think she should be replaced.

And the weather fetish is quite amusing!

I totally agree, I've always thought that about geha every thing she reports you can tell what her feelings are twards the subject and that should rarely happen in news and even the people on 13 When fox 17 started news a few years ago it was a joke, they got a lot better but the best anshor in my mind is tom vanhowe on 8, all could improve

Does anyone remember the crazy weather guy on the old channel 41 when it was abc Battle Creek? I used to watch just to see that guy get coked out and do his thing

Didn't "Tom Van How Do I Look" retire last year?

He still does "special reports" from time to time. I think he set himself up to replace Henry Erb (how that guy gets a job in TV I will never know.)

Best news right now is WXMI 17. If they dressed up the set a little bit, and put a little more effort into the presentation though WXMI would have no competition.

He still does "special reports" from time to time. I think he set himself up to replace Henry Erb (how that guy gets a job in TV I will never know.)

Best news right now is WXMI 17. If they dressed up the set a little bit, and put a little more effort into the presentation though WXMI would have no competition.

Henry Erb -- I'm sorry, but Henry Erb is a class act. He was one of the many reasons that I thought GR TV news, at least in the old days (pre-1980) was far superior to the larger markets. I will never forget moving to Ann Arbor in 1971 and having to watch the crap on Detroit TV, especially eyewitless news with Bill Bonds.

Unfortunately, it sounds like GR TV news has moved in the same direction. LA TV news is absolutely unwatchable.

Henry Erb -- I'm sorry, but Henry Erb is a class act. He was one of the many reasons that I thought GR TV news, at least in the old days (pre-1980) was far superior to the larger markets. I will never forget moving to Ann Arbor in 1971 and having to watch the crap on Detroit TV, especially eyewitless news with Bill Bonds.

Unfortunately, it sounds like GR TV news has moved in the same direction. LA TV news is absolutely unwatchable.

Erb has great reporting skills no doubt, its just...

maybe hes more suited to radio?

Just for grins, have a couple of adult beverages and then head to the IMAX theatre for a movie. Nothing like the Geek-ha on a two-story movie screen. :sick:

Trixie

If you ask a small-town feller like me, anything is better than the TV 11 News with Dracula. Talk about crappy! Y'all ain't seen nothin'! Sheeesh!

If you ask a small-town feller like me, anything is better than the TV 11 News with Dracula. Talk about crappy! Y'all ain't seen nothin'! Sheeesh!

Is that the guy thats shown on Most Outrageous Videos or whatever its called on NBC once in a while? He falls out of his coffin and then all you hear it bleeps :lol:

Archived