The Grant

At tonight's meeting of the Pawtucket Alliance for Downtown Success, J from Art in Ruins announced that he and his business partner are buying the WT Grant/Poamlands building on Main Street.

Plans call for two eateries (one AM, one PM) and then shared office space for creative services professionals. Looks like a perfect move. It's to be called The Grant.

Seein' as how I can see that building from my office, it sound like a very good thing.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At tonight's meeting of the Pawtucket Alliance for Downtown Success, J from Art in Ruins announced that he and his business partner are buying the WT Grant/Poamlands building on Main Street.

Plans call for two eateries (one AM, one PM) and then shared office space for creative services professionals. Looks like a perfect move. It's to be called The Grant.

Seein' as how I can see that building from my office, it sound like a very good thing.

wow. word gets out there quick.... :D

(I'm the business partner, btw)

It does when the news is good. This is, IMO, the 'right people doing the right thing' in the bucket. I hope you keep the graffiti.

We LOVE the graffiti. Actually, thats not even graffiti, that is truly urban art.

In fact, we have plans for some additional "signage" that may be more visible from outside the parking garage, though that is gonna take a little finagling...in due time. We have alot of very talented people lined up for the space...

The site says one of the retail ideas is a tavern. Do you have any issues with storefront churches being too close by hampering your (your retailers) ability to get a liquor license?

We were just talking about this last night. I don't THINK we have a problem...there is the pentacostal storefront church within 500 feet, but I am still unclear how that law is applying in Pawtucket. I think its been repealed or their getting around it somehow... Mad House Cafe has a full liquor license, and they are definitely within 500 feet of a church (since burned down, but that was after they got the license).

It is our full intention to have a fully functioning, Red Fez - ish type place...

I just browsed through some of the interior shots of the Grant on the website, what an incredible place! I take it your (Highchair Designs) offices will be on the second floor, with the bar and restaurant on the first?

What kind of bar are we talking about here?

I just browsed through some of the interior shots of the Grant on the website, what an incredible place! I take it your (Highchair Designs) offices will be on the second floor, with the bar and restaurant on the first?

What kind of bar are we talking about here?

Retail/food/pub in the two storefront spaces (smallish bar, if we get to that level. Think Ivy Tavern, Red Fez size and feel.

Collaborative office spaces in the back atrium space. Including Highchair Design, Limen Creative Design, some other designers and filmmakers and creative peeps.

Screenprinter in the lower level (open to first floor) and workshop space, as well as potentially the kitchens for the storefront food/drink.

Two apartments on the second floor, each about 1400 sf. We live in those. Eventually, I hope to do some creative things with the roof - some living-roof type stuff, some solar potentially. If we can swing cost.

Retail/food/pub in the two storefront spaces (smallish bar, if we get to that level. Think Ivy Tavern, Red Fez size and feel.

Don't let recchia fool you. He just wants a late night donut shop. :rofl:

Seriously, glad to see this gaining some momentum for you guys.

Hell yes! How bout a donut bar open all night?

There's a donut shop in NYC at 86th and Lex that has the best boston creme donuts in the world, at least the best boston cream creme donuts to eat while you're drunk and sitting waiting for the 6 train. They're the size of your head I'm telling ya! 3am drunk donuts rock!

There's a donut shop in NYC at 86th and Lex that has the best boston creme donuts in the world, at least the best boston cream creme donuts to eat while you're drunk and sitting waiting for the 6 train. They're the size of your head I'm telling ya! 3am drunk donuts rock!

Somehow the topics I post in always turn into donut conversations....

Anyway, I'd love Allie's in North Kingstown to expand and open a donut shop in Pawtucket. I think it'd be a perfect spot for them, lot's of family-owned businesses around, and it could show the Dunkin Donuts Concept Store and Extreme(-ly sh!tty) Donutz how to be a genuine donut shop.

ugh... i don't know if big donuts are what i'd want while i was drunk... especially right before getting on a subway...

i'll have to check out pawtucket again... i have come to hate driving around there because the 1 way streets can make you lost...

Congratulations to J and El! It's nice to see people I respect doing something big. I really mean it, congrats.

And just to jump in the donut thing, Patinkin's column in the Journal (Sunday?) stated that there is a coffee/donut place for every 4,700 Rhode Islanders. We are so much cooler than the rest of the country just because we can pull off being the largest (per capita) consumers of sugary goodness and not have a significant obesity problem (I personally would like to thank Splenda). Hell yeah! Coffee, donuts, and real estate transactions! WOOOO!!! :yahoo:

I've been by this building almost daily now I joined the Y (which, by the way, is very cheap right now since they're renovating). What a great building and great location. That section of Main St. is filled with untapped potential. I really like that little "square" in between Sovereign? Bank and the Cup & Saucer building (or the one next to it, can't remember now), what a great gathering place that could be for bar patrons and stuff. And then to be able to walk down the street to the Slater Mill area and the little park around it. It could be a mini-Waterplace if it tried.

• 3 weeks later...

the whole of main street is ripe for revitalization, which is why we're doing this. many cool things could happen, but we know it will take a little time. Really though, the experience has been so much better than what I have heard people say about Providence. The Fire Dept and City and Planning are all talking and ave their story straight, they are more flexible, and their zoning process is so much quicker and easier (and cheaper). No wonder why so many people are concentrating their energies on our little city to the north.

A new(ish) community group. PADS, is worth checking out. A meeting I went to to annouce the building was well attended, buy community members and city officials alike.

We are also waiting with baited breath for some of the recommendations the Riverfront Committee will make to revitalize the waterfront and the city's connection to it. We hope there will be some effort to return Pawtucket's Main St downtown back to its former glory (pre Urban Renewal).

• 2 months later...

Archived