The Grant

I am happy to report that Zano and I closed on the building last Thursday, the 15th. You should start to see some construction activity there soon. When we are ready to have a party, we'll be sure the invite everyone.

Wow, awesome!! Congratulations! It's so exciting to see this sort of development--finally!!--dowtown. Our downtown is so full of such beautiful outside spaces and buildings, there's so much potential, and I'm just ecstatic to finally see it coming to life! Hurrah!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Holy crap!

Congrats... please give Zano a smack for me.. I ran into Jen at the Fez the other night..I really hope that she's able to open her business there..Its within walking distance of my house!

If there is anything I can do to help let me know.

-Jason

Ha! yeah, so far we've pulled it off. We're working with Jen to try and get things up and running by this fall.

Anyone that wants to stop in and take a look, just let us know...and we'll definitely take any offers of help we can get!

Are there any office spaces open?

Not yet, though we hope (really) that they will be up and running by August. PM me or J if you want to take a look inside...

Am I wrong or is this building sort of like the Arcade, with storefronts inside?

The building is called the old arcade. It did have a number of retail stores inside before it was purchased (hair cutter, clothing store, a church office, etc. The City of Pawtucke tis pleased that this building will be rehabbed, creating jobs and retail. We'll work with the owners closely as they move forward on the construction. Herb Weiss, Economic and Cultural Affairs Officer.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

As Speck said, it is going, but of course, as the developer, it is taking much longer than I would have hoped. We missed the Oct 1 move in date as well as the Oct 6 date primarily because we are waiting for the Master Alarm Control Box to run the new sprinkler sustem. This box also has an antenna that radios the Fire Dept directly when there is a problem. Seeing as the nearest Fire Station is like 300 yards away, we wanted to try to convince the Fire Marshall to issue us a temporary Certificate of Occupancy by the sixth. They led us to believe that they would be willing to do it, but at the last minute, decided against it.

So we are now told that the box wont be here until the 18th. There is only one guy in the state that has the contract to program these municipal control boxes (a former firefighter) and so he can take as long as he wants, cuz its not like we can get one somewhere else. Six weeks ago we were told it would take six weeks when we ordered it, but now it will take more like 8. But there is really nothing we can do. We trie3d to pull some strings with other developer friends who have some clout, but it hasn't helped yet.

Working with the city has been good, for the most part. They have helped us make some connections, even with some potential tenants, they hold meetings with us when we need them and they are more than willing to work with us and the Fire Department over egress issues (the building has no land beyond its walls, so we need special permisison to egress off the back of the roof or even use the stair tower that is attached for egress). The one complaint I would have right now, though, is the willingness to give us the answer we want to hear only to take it away later. It doesn't help us with our tenant relations. As I was waiting to move in as well, I'm not too happy about it as a tenant or a developer.

The good news is, that this week we are working on mainly cosmetic things, like paint and spackle. This will hopefully make move in quicker and cleaner next week.

Some info and a tenant list at www.thegrantat250.com

I'm excited for you guys, can't wait to see it complete.

Is the cafe space going to be a cafe, it has a name on it that doesn't sound like a cafe? And what is "Flying Shuttles?"

The cafe is going to be Kafe Mila (its Maltese, as its the owner, Karen). Its going to be a very cool place, though details are still being worked out.

Flying Shuttle is a studio/gallery that is currently on Hope Street. It is a program for mentally disabled women to create and sell art and weavings. Also very cool, and we are excited to bring both to Main Street and get some life on the street...

Amazing. Congratulations guys!

I was just again looking at the photos on the website, and it's such a great looking space. I wish you only the best in this endeavor!

The cafe is going to be Kafe Mila (its Maltese, as its the owner, Karen). Its going to be a very cool place, though details are still being worked out.

I have to look up what comprises Maltese food/drink/cuisine/cafe/culture. It'll be a first for me!

Flying Shuttle is a studio/gallery that is currently on Hope Street. It is a program for mentally disabled women to create and sell art and weavings.

Wow, remarkable the resources that exist that I know nothing about despite searching high and low for my sister for the past three years... I'll have to learn more about this group!

- Garris

Wow, remarkable the resources that exist that I know nothing about despite searching high and low for my sister for the past three years... I'll have to learn more about this group!

- Garris

Is your sister able to get around by herself well enough to bus her way to the Bucket, Route 42 via Hope I think it would be?

This does sound like a really cool place. I hope they will have some gallery events we can plan on attending.

Is your sister able to get around by herself well enough to bus her way to the Bucket, Route 42 via Hope I think it would be?

This does sound like a really cool place. I hope they will have some gallery events we can plan on attending.

Yup, she navigates RIPTA beautifully by herself and I bet knows the system's routing and numbering better even than many of us. RIPTA has actually been a godsend for her in that way. Despite not driving, she travels all over the city to work and volunteer. She's also taken the beach bus during the summer to Newport, will take RIPTA to the Warwick Mall, and has also used it to go Pawtucket, so this sounds perfect.

- Garris

The Hub will be moving most of its furniture into the basement. They have expanded their bike offereings at the Brook St location and will be holding on to that space, but they are too big to fit bikes and furniture at that spot. So the space for them at the Grant will be appointment only furniture pick up and poking around, with a book of photos kept at the shop and additional dealings made through Ebay and the like. Eventually, i see them opening up their hours more at this location.

We plan to have a big kick off party soon and maybe a gallery show on the new walls in the basement. When Karen's cafe opens, there will most likely be another party/event.

I will be putting up some before and after pics once I get a chance to breathe... its kinda funny. The previous decor was very 1990s "urban", and we are keeping most of the facades, but repainting them... the base coat of primer white makes the whole interior "city" effect feel like gentrification unleashed. It's like our own private indoor soho. ;)

I too was intrigued when I heard it'd be Maltese. Wikipedia had some good information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maltese_cuisine

Its not going to be entirely Maltese, though there will be some Maltese dishes, I believe...think more White Electric with a couple more cool food offerings a day and homemade ice cream!

Garris - I'll email you the number of Flying Shuttles when I get to my office tomorrow...

I too was intrigued when I heard it'd be Maltese. Wikipedia had some good information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maltese_cuisine

Great article. According to the text, contemporary Maltese is apparently very influenced by and similar to contemporary Italian, but traditional food is, "Sicilian or Moorish in origin." Very interesting.

Garris - I'll email you the number of Flying Shuttles when I get to my office tomorrow...

Very generous of you. I greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

- Garris

Its not going to be entirely Maltese, though there will be some Maltese dishes, I believe...think more White Electric with a couple more cool food offerings a day and homemade ice cream!

the real question will be if she has one of these in the place:

mfalc-lg.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived