The Grant

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Planning Department is glad the Grant Building is up and running. We worked very hard with them to get them through our building permit process. We hope to see a lot of activity on the street with these new businesses. Herb Weiss, Economic and Cultural Affairs Officer, CIty of Pawtucket

• 1 month later...

New Date for the Party!!

Grant (Grand) Opening

January 13th, at 8pm

It's really happening this time!!

Come see what we've done with the place. Some food and drinks will be provided, as well as music. There is still work to do, but it is time we had people by to see the new space (and see why J {ArtInRuins} and Mike {eltron} haven't had much time to post lately).

250 Main Street, Pawtucket RI

www.theGrantat250.com

openingparty.gif

Sorry I wasn't able to make the party, I was having a really bad day on Saturday. How did it go? Are there photos? We all want to see. And remind us what your retail tenants are, I may make a trip up to the 'bucket if there's a good destination for me when I step off the bus.

Sorry I wasn't able to make the party, I was having a really bad day on Saturday. How did it go? Are there photos? We all want to see. And remind us what your retail tenants are, I may make a trip up to the 'bucket if there's a good destination for me when I step off the bus.

I think photos will go up on the website at some point...

It was a really great turnout. a very diverse crowd of people, and the space was looking pretty good (though there is still a kindof insane amount of work to do!). As far as retail open, we just have Earthly Realms open, which is a sort of funky gift shop, and The Zoo, for vintage furniture (open by appointment, they have fantastic stuff). Kafe Lila will be open hopefully March 1. Still, if ur bored, come on by and check it out.

• 3 months later...

The preservation conference was great, and we had about 200+ people come through the space that day. There are new photos of it on our website in the slideshow.

The Grant

I've updated the Grant website with more photos from its history, too, and today I managed to finagle my way into the Betsy Johnson's house (built 1828!) to search through her personal collection of Pawtucket memoribilia and information. They had a great collection of photos that I will be able to post soon, too. I can almost fashion a timeline of Main Street from the 1890s to the present.

More shops are up and running, but the cafe is still not yet open.

*sigh*

• 1 month later...

I've been trying to get up extra early so that i can walk my dog down to Kafe Lila and then get home in time to go to Boston for work.. My wife and I have sworn to support that place as much as we can.

They actually cold brew coffee there! I love cold brewed coffee!

anyways.. this morning was a bit interesting. I walked down and tied my dog to the railing just inside the door of the Grant, I turned my back to go get a to-go coffee and within 20 seconds he had slipped out of his harness and collar and shot out into the street without any identification and spooked for some reason?

I couldn't believe it.. I ran after him, trying to get him to come and he just kept looking at me and darting in the other direction.. you could tell he was freaked out (so was I though) but I ran my ass off trying to keep him in view. oh man I almost lost him a few times.. the people of Pawtucket were pretty helpful though.. pointing in the direction he went as i ran (wheezed) by.. I finally caught up with him in the parking lot of the riverfront lofts and the only reason he slowed down at all was because there was another dog there (luckily).

so yeah.. I guess my dog hates the Grant?

Kafe Lila on the other hand is awesome and everyone should head down and support this place.. its not easy being the first one to take a chance like this.

• 3 weeks later...
WARNING: CHANGE IN PARKING ENFORCEMENT

There's a new push downtown to keep long term parking off the street, so they're enforcing the 2-hour limits. This applies to the first level of the parking garage next to The Grant. An overtime ticket costs $12. Guess how I know...

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
It's a little tricky because we are still doing some things under the radar. We have two people hosting semi-private parties over the next two weeks. They are mainly low key events. In the future we hope to have more event events... like Machines with Magnets does from time to time.

• 2 months later...

Hello all,

I wanted to let friends and associates know to let your friends and business associates know about spaces we have available here at the Grant...

Space 7: ~200sf (20 x 10'), currently used as an Art Gallery space. Split into two spaces, with gallery track lighting in the front section. Rear section currently used a small art studio. Open walls (front wall does not go all the way to the ceiling). Rent is $280 and it will be available starting June 1st. Metered electric, AC/Heat & Internet access included.

Space 9: ~280sf (20 x 14'), currently a one-person design studio. Closet in the back corner, about 6' x 8'. Closed walls. Large picture windows let in plenty of light from the main atrium. Rent is $280 with availability by June 15. Metered electric, AC/Heat & Internet access included.

Space B-2: ~360sf (20 x 18'), currently used for retail. Basement space with full walls, but sadly, less natural light. Flexible lighting system, tiled floor. Would make a great small store or private art studio. Rent is $290, electric & internet included. Basement of building stays naturally cooler than the rest of the building. Available immediately.

Space B-3: ~720sf (20 x 36'), currently used for storage. Larger raw space in the basement with tiled floors and full walls. Great space suited for studio type of application. Rent is $560, with electric and internet included. Availability will be end of June.

The building's larger amenities: open, collaborative atmosphere. Kafe on site, large atrium-style windows on the first floor. A city parking garage is next door, with public 2-hour parking on the 1st and 3rd floors, and permit 24-7 parking available for $10 a month from the City of Pawtucket on the 2nd floor.

For designers, we have a number of other designers on site for whom you can share resources or just have someone to complain about clients with. Web designers have offices here, as well as industrial, print, and architectural if you need to collaborate on a larger project. There is a silkscreen printing studio in the basement that does great poster and apparel printing and design work.

If someone wants to do retail, we'll talk about it. Retail is a very tough market, and we want to be sure that the idea will have some legs. Get in touch if you think you have a solid idea.

That's it... contact J. Hogue j [at] highchairdesign [dot] com if there are further questions, and check out www.thegrantat250.com for info and photos.

Archived