Lincoln American Tower & Court Square

HKG

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They've had these three buildings fenced off for a while now. I was under the impression that the project already started because the Rhodes-Jennings building looks like it was gutted down to the facade, floors and piers. They are right about that building being in bad shape. It will truly be a miracle of historic preservation if they are able to make that building suitable for occupation.

I think Lowensteins was at one point in that building but then they built a newer location down the street which is now called Brinkley Plaza.

Then in the late 60's, Lowenstein's moved into that newish highrise next to the Claridge on the ground floor. At that time, the highrise was called Lowenstein Towers.

Back to the point--the Rhodes Building looks about the same as it did when I was there in June, 2005.

It would be nice if Downtown would appeal to all, not just the uber wealthy (old) and have condos that are in a realistic price range considering how low wages are here. if i wanted a massive retirement village to hang out in, i would move to germantown!

This is how downtowns worldwide are. First comes the wealthy people, who attract commercial development, who attract even more people. Eventually, were gonna see more affordable housing. There is already plenty just east of Danny Thomas along Union and Madison and the Vue on Main will be a huge addition to "affordable" living. I think the Midtown/Medical District will be the place for many midrise apartments and townhouses in the Crosstown area. Downtown areas are always expensive to live in compared to the rest of any city though. Uptown is home to affordable housing and after a while, and South Forum will also be an attractive place to live in the future.

It would be nice if Downtown would appeal to all, not just the uber wealthy (old) and have condos that are in a realistic price range considering how low wages are here. if i wanted a massive retirement village to hang out in, i would move to germantown!

This is what I gleaned from the net. Southend and the Southmain area have some affordable condos:

Talbot Square--1 bedrooms from $109,000

Ambassador Hotel--1 bedrooms from $99,000

State Place-1 bedrooms from $153,000

Carolina Lofts--studios, 1 and 2 bedrooms--$110,000 to $196,000

Residences at South Main - 2 bedroom condos from $142,500 - 1 Bedroom Cottages from $152,500 (Corner of Mulberry and Talbot)

Is this the building you are referring to? Rhodes-Jennings?

lowenstein.JPG

I mistakenly marked it as Lowensteins when I first uploaded it to the image site. I took this picture in late December 2005

Yep, that's it. It was the Rhodes-Jennings building. Looks totally gutted. Hard to believe they can do anything with that building, economically speaking. But I'm looking forward to seeing it get new life!

thanks sleepy for the info...i had no idea of the plethora of places in the south main area. i hope that the medical district or the edge neighborhood takes off eventually would love to live in a condo building in the edge with a nice view of the skyline on the trolley line.

thanks sleepy for the info...i had no idea of the plethora of places in the south main area. i hope that the medical district or the edge neighborhood takes off eventually would love to live in a condo building in the edge with a nice view of the skyline on the trolley line.

I think with that new development proposed for 4th and Union by LRK, things might be moving in that direction. I believe I read that it's supposed to be 400 or so units. Echelon is only 300 or so, so the new thing ought to be pretty big, and "spread out" the area downtown considered for residential.

• 4 months later...

from today's CA: http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/local/...4901009,00.html

"Groundbreaking" this fall. Great news! Let's get this baby rollin. This project is certainly one of the anchors of the DT renaissance (and the N. Main area esp.), and it's good to see these ambitious plans haven't become yet another victim of "financing issues."

It's about time :thumbsup: Its been a while since this project was announced and I'm glad to see it rolling. Here's what the project will include.

77 apartments, offices for the Memphis Justice Center, Ceriello Fine Foods of New York (upscale Italian grocery store), Trust One Bank, The Stovall Collection (stationary store), and the only room left is the Court Annex warehouse. Maybe a department store could take up that space.

It's about time :thumbsup: Its been a while since this project was announced and I'm glad to see it rolling. Here's what the project will include.

77 apartments, offices for the Memphis Justice Center, Ceriello Fine Foods of New York (upscale Italian grocery store), Trust One Bank, The Stovall Collection (stationary store), and the only room left is the Court Annex warehouse. Maybe a department store could take up that space.

Agreed bears, I would like to see a department store there too, maybe a JosAbanks or something along that line. Great project glad to see it's happening.

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed bears, I would like to see a department store there too, maybe a JosAbanks or something along that line. Great project glad to see it's happening.

This is a projects that's been long overdue. It will be a great project and should catalize additional redevelopment in the area. Here's the link :thumbsup:

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived