Greer municipal complex at Allen Bennett?

GSP Tiger

Article:

Greer OKs bonds for municipal complex

The Greenville News (SC)

2006/3/14

The City of Greer is considering retrofitting Allen Bennett Hospital into a municipal complex. The hospital, part of the Greenville Hospital System, will relocate and become Greer Memorial Hospital at Greenville Hospital System's Greer Medical Campus on South Buncombe Road next year.

I think it is a wise idea to reuse the hospital for some city offices. I doubt relocating the fire and police departments to the hospital would be good if they could make use of some empty space at the current City Hall for their purposes.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I am all for reuse, I like city government buildings to be downtown. I would rather them spend extra money to building something acceptable downtown than use something out on the highway. City buildings act as traffic generators downtown.

I don't like Town Hall's location here in Central, which is on Main St, but not downtown. Its very auto oriented and not pedestrian friendly at all.

However, I understand that certain fiduciary requirements have to be considered. At least they won't build something new on Wade Hampton.

Archived