High Point for major downtown revitlaization plan

cityboi

High Point is finally throwing its hat in the ring and is joining Greensboro and Winston-Salem in having a major downtown comprehensive plan. FOX 8 News reported this tonight. The plan will be developed over the next 12 months and ther will be plenty of workshops for the public. The city paid $150,000 for a study. The goal is to make downtown High Point a very vibrant district when the furniture market is not downtown. It will be the first time in decades that the city will be focusing on major development downtown not related to the furniture industry. It will be interesting to see what the plan will be. It was announced with alot of fanfare so planners may have some bold ideas. Certainly the plan will likely include a center-city park or public square as well as nightlife attractions.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

a bit off topic.. but does High Point remind anyone of the beach? It seems whenever I drive through there, I smell the ocean and feel like i'm at the beach. lol... but I hope this downtown revitalization is good:)

It's about time, there will be a reason to visit DT High Point other than the furniture market. As for High Point's resemblance to the beach, North Main St (near Lowes, Wal-Mart) does look kind of like an area near the beach because the terrain is nearly flat.

This effort is unfortunately, about 5-10 years too late. I applaud them for getting with the program, but High Point is so far behind on the downtown redevelopment focus that it's going to be very hard to succeed.

If you're a creative class entrepreneur, are you going to open a business in moribund downtown High Point with two genuine urban renaissances occuring next door in Winston and GSO, the two cities with a greater diversity of employment opportunities and cultural capital?

A gutsy move would be to eliminate a furniture showroom on the main drag and redevelop it as housing, sidewalk dining, and office space. Will they go there?

This effort is unfortunately, about 5-10 years too late.

I dont think so. Its never too late to start coming up with ideas.

As Winston and Greensboro continues to prosper in their DT areas, its just a matter of time before it gets too expensive to buy up property. New developers will then will look into High Point as a likely alternative.

I dont think so. Its never too late to start coming up with ideas.

As Winston and Greensboro continues to prosper in their DT areas, its just a matter of time before it gets too expensive to buy up property. New developers will then will look into High Point as a likely alternative.

If I knew of any industries that were growing in High Point rather than contracting, I might agree with you. However, Winston and Greensboro both have literally MILES of downtown area that could be rebuilt and built up. It will take 7-10 years before there is any real shortage of development opportunities in either location.

I Think High Point could use Asheville as a model and maybe dramatically improve the streetscape and include outdoor cafe's and things of that nature. I agree that there is only so much that can happen in downtown High Point at this time. The city is in a different tier from Greensboro and Winston-Salem. High Point is in the same tier as Asheville and Wilmington. But its better late then never and its good to see High Point moving forward.

Archived