What do you like about Columbia?

krazeeboi

In an effort to get some positive vibes going through here, what is it that you LIKE about Columbia? This thread probably won't get as many replies as the "dislikes" thread, but it's worth a shot.

I'll start it off:

1) Location (confluence of two rivers, fall line)

2) Youthful, laid back vibe due to college influence

3) Plethora of recreational opportunities (parks, Three Rivers Greenway, Congaree Nat'l Forest, rivers, Lake Murray, Harbison State Forest, Sesquicentennial State Park, etc.)

4) Riverbanks Zoo

5) The Vista, which includes some of the best examples of adaptive reuse I've seen in any other city of comparable size--old textile mill that have been turned into residential (Granby, Olympia, Whaley mills) and the State Museum, old Confederate Printing Plant which now houses the downtown Publix, three train stations which now house 3 restaurants (California Dreaming, MacDougal's, Blue Marlin). I think Longhorn used to be an old fire station perhaps? I would also consider the conversion of Barringer and Palmetto on Main as examples of adaptive reuse, as well. I think this gives the city a LOT of character.

Somebody else take it from here...

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well for me the list goes like this:

1-5 All of downtown. From the big park to the resterants in the vista. Columbia is one of the best downtowns in the south. I love the way they change alot of old factory's and mills to new grocery stores and condos. Also the influnce of nearby USC(which has taken over a good chunk of town) gives it a great vibe and improves the night life.

6. Highways- the cities highways form a loop and its very effiecent. 126 and 277 spur into town and imo helped save a lot of neighborhoods.

7. Geography- The sandy thing gets to me but the city sits on the fall line. You can't forget about it's biggest assest. The rivers.

8. The Malls- For a city it's size, cola has a nice retail seen. I love Columbiana Mall and I go to Columbia mall alot 2 when im down there.

9-10. It's the dirty south. What more can I say. Columbia has a real laid back, country feel and still holds on to that city vibe. Overall its great.

Well for me the list goes like this:

1-5 All of downtown. From the big park to the resterants in the vista. Columbia is one of the best downtowns in the south. I love the way they change alot of old factory's and mills to new grocery stores and condos. Also the influnce of nearby USC(which has taken over a good chunk of town) gives it a great vibe and improves the night life.

6. Highways- the cities highways form a loop and its very effiecent. 126 and 277 spur into town and imo helped save a lot of neighborhoods.

7. Geography- The sandy thing gets to me but the city sits on the fall line. You can't forget about it's biggest assest. The rivers.

8. The Malls- For a city it's size, cola has a nice retail seen. I love Columbiana Mall and I go to Columbia mall alot 2 when im down there.

9-10. It's the dirty south. What more can I say. Columbia has a real laid back, country feel and still holds on to that city vibe. Overall its great.

You took the words right out of my mouth!!! How ever I do have to compliment Columbia on it's nightlife. The night time activity gives Columbia a big city vibe. I could not live anywhere else in s.c. if not Columbia!!Bottom line!!

I will have more time to thinks of things I like later, but here are a few:

(1) It's a great sports city. A few years ago, Sports Illustrated (I believe) actually ranked its sports environment very high. I've often heard it said that nothing is like Columbia on the weekends of USC home games. Additionally, the Inferno have faired relatively well for a minor-league hockey team. I'm not sure that minor-league baseball will ever be that big here because of USC baseball. Consider Columbus, OH. That city is the largest in OH (bigger than Cleveland or Cincinnati), but Ohio State sports prevail. Some I know from the city don't even want pro sports.

(2) Columbia has character. I think the pace of growth for Columbia is allowing it to grow its character along with its population. Consider Charlotte, NC. It is like someone put a Columbia-size city on steroids. It has grown so large, so fast, that no one really knows what the city is about or stands for. It's just a big overblown city. I know that some of you are sometimes envious of Charlotte because it's a close neighbor and is in the "large city" ranks, but don't be. I actually like Charlotte, but I think its identity has been lost. The people there are largely a mix of natives and "everywhere" USA. I'm not speaking of demographic diversity, but of geographic diversity. When a city grows so much in this manner, no one really knows what its about and I'm sure many of its residents don't love it the way we cherish our cities here in SC.

(3) It's a great mix. We have state government, a major downtown university, Fort Jackson, Lake Murray, great rivers, and a good mix of organizations that make up our economy and business environment. Other than government jobs (which are incredibly stable and a good thing), we aren't so heavily weighted towards manufacturing, banking, etc.

(4) It's the "true" center of an sizeable metro area that is getting more and more dense. Consider Charleston's disadvantage. A large amount of the radius around Charleston is the Atlantic ocean. Therefore, the growth around Charleston cannot grow symmetrically. While this may help downtown density, I think eventually it will hinder its growth. Greenville (a fabulous city, by the way) on the other hand seems hindered by a metro area that has no real center. It always has the minor cities pulling things away and encouraging sprawl. Columbia, on the other hand, is fairly seperated from other urban areas, therefore has great long-term protential in developing into a great city. I don't eventually lightrail will be entering Columbia from every direction. As this happens, the city will grow in population and density.

(5) There is a solid and growing arts scene. Being a School of Music alumnus, I keep up with events going on there. I don't know how many of you know this, but events are going on there and at the Koger Center most nights of the week. There is an enormous opportunity to here wonderful music if you choose to take advantage of it. That's just one example.

(6) Roadways are great! Columbia has a complete and effective "loop" which makes getting around very easy. Also, interstate highways around the city have at least 3 lanes, which helps with congestion. Ask people in Charlotte about the new 485 loop which is mostly 2 lanes. Already it's being referred to as the "parking lot." This loop of i-state highways also helps encourage uniform growth in all directions. It's always good to build close to a high-speed, easy-access highway. With this in mind, I think we'll see more and more development on the south side of the city between bluff road on i77 to the airport on i26.

I have to get back to work, but I'll post more things later. I would appreciate comments or feedback!

Not to mention the fact that three major interstates relieve a lot of congestion that would otherwise be experienced if there were only one major interstate and a spur or two. And the fact that they form a loop around the city and don't tear into the urban fabric of the city is a GREAT thing. Who cares if you don't get up close skyline views? Columbia wouldn't be half the city that it is if the interstates intersected in the middle of the city, and several things that make the city great would not exist.

I love riding around the downtown area and glancing to the left or right as I go through intersections, looking down the busy corridors that are created by the wide tree-lined streets gently rising and falling over Columbia's terrain and seeing the criss-crossing of traffic at other intersections all the way down the corridors. It gives the city such a busy yet graceful feel.

Hey great idea for a post 10 bucks says it doesn't get pass two pages though? People hate to hear anything positive. That gives them nothing too complain about.

Just kidding I'll stop being negative!

Seriously the main reason I like Columbia is one because its home but because the city has character. For a city it's size it moves pretty fast or that just may be an "east coast" thang?

Not too big not too small

high quality of life

Hot humid nights, signature of my home! (it is built over the vents of hell afterall). :D

Live and let live mentality (not necessarily friendly)

Lake Murray, Riverbanks

St. Andrews ;)

Large Highly educated population be it black or white (45th nationally to be exact!)

Always votes Democrat

Harbison State Forest. (my inner city mt biking mecca)

of course 5 points & the vista

2 hrs from the NC mountains or the SC beaches

Day trip to ATL

The city is just now realizing its potential and most importantly acting on it!

Also having one of the best zoos in the nation. This was something I always took for granted until I moved away.

Richland Co. Library again one of the nations best public libraries and another thing I took for granted until I left.

20 min from anything because of 26,20, & 77

Congaree national Park

And of course Palmetto Trees!

1. The University of South Carolina.

2. Big city amenities (sports, entertainment), mid-sized city.

3.Solid downtown core with multiple districts.

4.Great neighborhoods.

5.The capital of the finest state in the land.

6.Five points

7.The Vista

8. Rush's

9. Skyline

10. The finest school in the land (USC).

Nightlife (open past 2) :w00t:

Food

Sweet Tea! :yahoo:

Everywhere in town is 15min or less away

Vista (Love walking outside feeling the wind blow with the smell and feel of water) :whistling:

Laid Back Nature :shades:

Recent Developements

The Name!

Everywhere in town is so NOT 15 min or less away

^I guess it depends on where you're located in town and whether "town" is referring to city limits or not.

Tem, I missed your contribution to the thread? Just teasin'! :P

Some more to add:

--City leaders committment to affordable housing within the city

--Largest percentage of woman- and minority-owned firms compared with the other major metros in the state

--Highly educated populace

--The density of the skyline (that Starmount Dr. view is AWESOME--thanks for the recommendation Waccamatt!)

--Proximity to mountains and coast

--Large amount of event venues for a metro of its size

--The only state-of-the-art downtown major convention center in the state

USC

The State House

Wide Streets

Open minded people

the Colonial Center

The Vista

5 Points

The awesome neighborhoods

the rivers

the lake

easy access (Tem, if you live in the city you can get anywhere important within 15 minutes, non rush hour)

3 interstates

the Zoo

the parks (Finlay, Memorial, Riverfront, Earlewood)

USC

The State House

Wide Streets

Open minded people

the Colonial Center

The Vista

5 Points

The awesome neighborhoods

the rivers

the lake

easy access (Tem, if you live in the city you can get anywhere important within 15 minutes, non rush hour)

3 interstates

the Zoo

the parks (Finlay, Memorial, Riverfront, Earlewood)

Open Minded People?? I wish......try dating same sex and holding hands in public or try dating interacially and holding hands in public and see how many stares you get in Columbia(especially West Columbia/Cayce) compared to other places

Being open-minded consists of a bit more than that Tem, although there are still "conservative" elements still present, without question. But I would definitely assume Waccamatt knows something about the first one. Never noticed his icon? :P

In that same vein, I think it's very much possible that Columbia will have a female or minority as a mayor before any of the Big Three. But as of now, I think the current mayors have a lock on their cities, so it would probably be some time before that happens anyway, IMO.

1) Columbia isn't big and it isn't too small...Just right...

2) Location...Within an hour you can be in Charlotte and a short drive to Atlanta...Closeness to the beach and mountains

3) Diversity

4) I-77, I-26, I-20

5) It takes 15 minutes to get to any side of town from Downtown

6) Density....Our Skyline is better than alot of cities 3 times our size

7) Rivers, Lake Murray, Parks

hmm, my list is a bit different...

- the excitement about how things are changing to the better and to be able to be part of those changes. Potential potential potential - that's more interesting than something already too established.

- only a few hours flight from a huge part of the country (more direct flights will come with economic development, again: potential)

- not too big (wouldn't want it to become Atl or Charlotte), which effects quality of life.

- climate: mild winter, no imminent danger of major natural catastrophies (flooding, wildfires, mudslides, earthquakes, hurricanes, tornadoes, snowstorms...) or maybe there's something I should be aware of?

- because of USC, a stimulating intellectual environment. A large influx of people (faculty, students...) from elsewhere who they are happy about being here.

- Lake Murray and the rivers. Dreher Island and the greenway along the canal are exceptionally great places for rollerblading.

- reuse of commercial buildings in the Vista gives it a funky vibe

- child friendly (meaning lots of things to do with children)

- affordable real estate

- surroundings not over developed (except for northeast)

- the general ambiance, which is an intangible mix of many components.

Open Minded People?? I wish......try dating same sex and holding hands in public or try dating interacially and holding hands in public and see how many stares you get in Columbia(especially West Columbia/Cayce) compared to other places

Tem, I'm not really the "PDA" type, but you would be hard pressed finding many people more out of the closet than I am and I've really never had any problems in Columbia. Suburban areas of any metro (even NYC and SF) are going to be less diverse and accepting, but that isn't unique to Columbia. I'll use my experiences at work as an example; I've always taken my boyfriend (when I've had one) to company Christmas parties, etc. and I'm a vice president at a financial institution; not typically an open minded industry. Columbia is not San Francisco, but considering the region of the country we are in, Columbia is a very open minded city.

Tem, I'm not really the "PDA" type, but you would be hard pressed finding many people more out of the closet than I am and I've really never had any problems in Columbia. Suburban areas of any metro (even NYC and SF) are going to be less diverse and accepting, but that isn't unique to Columbia. I'll use my experiences at work as an example; I've always taken my boyfriend (when I've had one) to company Christmas parties, etc. and I'm a vice president at a financial institution; not typically an open minded industry. Columbia is not San Francisco, but considering the region of the country we are in, Columbia is a very open minded city.

Leave it to Tem to bring negativity into a discussion about positive things. I'd hate to go through life like that. :)

Archived