Alternative Fuels for Clean Air

gs3

VERY interesting article in the Greenville News on fuel made from Soy. With the rise in gas prices (they've really shot up this week.....what's up?) and the growing smog problem in our area, this seems like a great idea. This company plans to produce 40 million gallons this year. Spinx is starting to sell the alternative fuel. Great companion company to the CU-ICAR and automotive cluster here! :thumbsup:

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs..../603150425/1004

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks gsupstate.

I was a bit disappointed to see that the blend is only 20% biodiesel. I would hope that as the technology improves, the fuel will have higher quantities of bio.

Great that it is being produced by a local company though! :thumbsup:

Now all I need to do is buy a diesel. :D

It was psyched to read this. Just wish it was available at more gas stations so I could use it in my trusty old 240D. 360,000 miles and counting.

What was great to read is that they have increased the biodesel component from 2% to 20%.

I'd drive a few extra miles to fill up.

It was psyched to read this. Just wish it was available at more gas stations so I could use it in my trusty old 240D. 360,000 miles and counting.

What was great to read is that they have increased the biodesel component from 2% to 20%.

I'd drive a few extra miles to fill up.

Gotta love those MB diesels. :thumbsup:

Looks like BMW will be releasing a bio-diesel/hydrogen powered 7 series within a year. This is fantastic news! :yahoo:

I hope that this kind of technology becomes the norm sooner rather than later.

Story

Thanks for the link wellen. :thumbsup:

When BMW (or anyone else for that matter) releases the H powered car, that will prove its viability. Hopefully, there will be some investment in infrastructure.

I'm not sure it is hydrogen/biodiesel. I believe it may be a hydrogen/gasoline engine. They mention it is a bi-fuel vehicle with an internal combustion engine. IC would lead me to believe it is gasoline. I'll check into it.

Thanks for the link wellen. :thumbsup:

When BMW (or anyone else for that matter) releases the H powered car, that will prove its viability. Hopefully, there will be some investment in infrastructure.

I'm not sure it is hydrogen/biodiesel. I believe it may be a hydrogen/gasoline engine. They mention it is a bi-fuel vehicle with an internal combustion engine. IC would lead me to believe it is gasoline. I'll check into it.

I thought I might continue RT's tradition of quoting one's self. :rofl:

This link explains BMW's Hydrogen strategy. The dual-mode vehicle is a hydrogen/gasoline engine which will be used until the infrastructure is in place for the fully Hydrogen powered vehicle. (very long article :blink: )

• 5 weeks later...

The whole conversation and articles about the Tram to Travelers Rest had me thinking about our city transit. The articles have talked about the Tram running on biodiesel. Has Greenville actively looked at alternative fuel or electric buses? I've never really heard much discussion about this. With CU-ICAR coming online and alternative fuels being made here in the upstate, seems a direction the city should head. Thoughts?

The whole conversation and articles about the Tram to Travelers Rest had me thinking about our city transit. The articles have talked about the Tram running on biodiesel. Has Greenville actively looked at alternative fuel or electric buses? I've never really heard much discussion about this. With CU-ICAR coming online and alternative fuels being made here in the upstate, seems a direction the city should head. Thoughts?

The "coolness factor" of doing so would definitely help to offset the negative stigma associated with bus transit.

Yeah, my dad has a Toyota Prius. He bought it about 2 months ago and he is right now averaging 53.4 mpg. For some reason, I still can't figure out why people drive SUV's and are still buying them with gas prices. I hate how everybody sayes the Prius is more expensive than most cars, when really it is cheaper than a lot of them including more than 75% of SUV's. For example, which do you think is cheaper and will save you more money over time, a Prius or a Hummer.

Archived