Alternative Fuels for Clean Air

gs3

True, but appealling to the masses has little to do with protecting the environment.

I can only speak for myself...not the masses.

Is it a tax credit, or just tax deductible?

It used to be a standard $2000 deduction, but starting on Jan. 1, 2006, it became a credit...meaning A LOT more money back to the consumer. Each car's credit is different and depends on some bizarre equation. The Prius's is about $3100. The Civic's will be about $2100. And South Carolina is working on a bill that will create a new state tax credit equal to 20% of the federal credit.

One thing that Edmunds didn't do that I think would definitely impact the numbers in the hybrid's favor... keeping the car for more than five years. I've worn out two cars. One at ten years and one at 14. I'm guessing that alot of consumers feel the need to upgrade their cars regularly. I would imagine that those Hybrid owners who are "enironmentally-friendly" are also likely to own a single car for a longer period of time, making hybrids more cost-effective.

That's probably very true. I even kept my crappy gas-guzzling Isuzu Rodeo for 6+ years.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed, but I think some of the worst models, like the Dodge Durango hybrid, are skewing the numbers against hybrids in general. Some of the hybrid models available now are strictly designed to capture a portion of the "green" market. Though the consumer would get much better gas mileage in a standard car, they can feel good about owning a gas guzzling hybrid (that sounds funny, but 18 mpg is pityful).

Ugh...those things are abominations and give the true hybrids (high mpg, low emissions) a bad name.

It used to be a standard $2000 deduction, but starting on Jan. 1, 2006, it became a credit...meaning A LOT more money back to the consumer. Each car's credit is different and depends on some bizarre equation. The Prius's is about $3100. The Civic's will be about $2100. And South Carolina is working on a bill that will create a new state tax credit equal to 20% of the federal credit.

Sounds good. Now it would be great if those of us who choose zero emission human powered vehicles could get a similar tax credit.

Archived