Building Boom Begins

mercurypa

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I started a list to keep track of what is going on in the city of Pittsburgh. Have I missed anything?

Major Developments planned to be finished or under construction by 2010:

South Side Works

--riverfront park

--17 story hotel

--Smaller hotel

--River condos

--Asian Business center

--Hofbrauhaus beer garden

--Completed tunnel park

--Second American Eagle building

University of Pittsburgh Police Headquarters

Boulevard of the allies bridge project

Expanded Pittsburgh Technology Center

CMU tech building funded by Gates

Children

Ground broken for Duquesne Univesity's new Recreational facility. This should really start more growth Eastward toward Uptown and the Hill. It will include a Barnes & Noble restaraunts and retail on street level along Forbes.

DuquesneUniversityRecreationFacilit.jpg

Duquesne University Recreational Facility

DuquesneUniversityMasterPlan.jpg

Forbes Avenue

DuquesneUniversitymasterPlan2.jpg

Master Plan

Pittsburgh Business Times Article;http://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburgh/stor...f=et74&hbx=e_du

Post Gazette article;

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04337/420499.stm

Also, I wonder if the Barnes and Noble downtown will close if one opens there?

I doubt there will be much competition between the two. The Duquesne Barnes will serve the Duquesne University student population. Downtown will serve the downtown office/resident/visitor population. They're far enough away. Someone downtown doesn't have much reason to go to the Duquesne area.

The development is great that block will look really nice and hopefully, the blocks east of Duquesne and Mercy will one day soon get developed.

As for Barnes and Noble, I think that downtown's wil be safe. It is dependent on the downtown work population (and soon by many residents!) while this one will be primarily supported by students and workers Uptown who might not walk all the way to the downtown one (although I used to make the walk).

It might not even be a full size store, but I haven't seen anything to indicate its size.

It seems like the city is prepared to play hard ball and not just roll over for sake of new development. It sounds like they are going to fight for the taxes of citiline towers. Frankly, Duquesne need this development as much as the city would like it so I hope it works out.

I love it. Finally a tie is building between Downtown and Uptown. Notice all the projects' street level is devoted to commercial/retail. This will create an entirely new atmosphere in that section of town.

Great info there, I too hope that the city and the Univ. can work something out taxwise, then again if the city was allowed to CONSOLIDATE this overwhelming inbalance of hosting the metros major academic and research assets wouldn't be an issue.

I can't get enough of this either, UrbaniDesDev! :D

Great article. I love the fact that a Barnes & Noble is coming in on Center in East Liberty, the whole area of Oakland, Shadyside, SquirrelHill & East Libery has been lacking for a bookstore such as this!

Thanks for the word supkof, Balist, I agree the city has for too long been seen as a deadzone for major retailers that would much rather go to RossPark or Monroeville or the South Hills. It started with HomeDepot and Whole Foods a few years back and now is really picking up steam!

Great article. I love the fact that a Barnes & Noble is coming in on Center in East Liberty, the whole area of Oakland, Shadyside, SquirrelHill & East Libery has been lacking for a bookstore such as this!

There's a Barnes and Noble in the Squirrel Hill business district.

Actually, according to the article, the store will be a Borders. I think that's better since the Pgh area is rpetty lacking in Borders with, I believe, only 4 in the whole metro area (Bethel Park, Ross, Pgh Mills, Monroeville) and none in the city. I think the Bethel Park(opened in 1990) one was one of the first outside of the Midwest but it seemed that once Borders opened that and followed up with their Ross and Monroeville stores in the mid-90's, they completely forgot about Pgh and moved on to expand elsewhere. Then Pgh Mills came along and suddenly they were interested again and now their attention is re-focused on the area.

Unfortunately, I am not a fan of the one in Squirrel Hill. It is not a full service B&N. It is smaller than the rest. I feel like they just stuck it there because that is an heavy traffic area. The one downtown is 100% times better.

I like the Sq. Hill one mostly because of the atmosphere. It has always attracted a pretty diverse crowd and an intellectual crowd. Plus, it stays open alot later than the downtown one which shutters once the office workers go home. Its small and non-standard, but I think that adds to the cozyness of it. Its a true urban B&N and not the standard suburban big box B&N (the one in downtown actually looks and feels like a standard big bog B&N grafted into a city location). Go to NYC, Philly, DC, etc. and you'll see these non-standard "neighborhood" B&Ns. I think they add character. Also, a full size normal big box one is not that far away - at the Waterfront in Homestead.

I'll take a Borders. The B&N in squirrel hill, I am sure, is enjoyed by some but if you want to have the small neighborhood cozy shop bookstore feel, I'd rather it be a mom&pop one than a national chain. If the national chain is coming, I want the whole thing not just a partial bit. Just my opinion.

This is fantastic news for those of us who live near this area! It will be a wonderful compliment to the neighborhood. The residents of the Lofts on Baum will really have a lot right next door to them! Now if we could just get some business on Bryant St in Highland Park!

Yay, a bookstore in East Liberty! I usually go to the B&N at the Waterworks, but it will be good to have another option close by. And it will be great for people who live in East Liberty.

Speaking of urban feeling national chain bookstores, the B&N at the Inner Harbor in Baltimore is pretty cool. It seems to be in an old industrial building of some kind. I am not sure if it really is or they were just trying to recreate that feel, but anyway it was neat.

Don't forget, B&N had to utilize space that was available. In downtown, they were bound to find the right space, but not in Squirrel Hill. There is also a Borders at the Waterfront, but its great to see one in the city!

Don't forget there's also that newish store at the Southside Works.

Don't forget, B&N had to utilize space that was available. In downtown, they were bound to find the right space, but not in Squirrel Hill. There is also a Borders at the Waterfront, but its great to see one in the city!

The one at the Waterfront is a B&N. Borders, after initially taking the lead in the Pgh area, had been more conservative than B&N about the area. It seems that now they're back in expansion mode, which is great.

Don't forget there's also that newish store at the Southside Works.

Yes, Joseph-Beth. I like that place too. Its too bad they don't have an in-store cafe. I think they have access to the one next door though (Caribou?).

The one at the Waterfront is a B&N. Borders, after initially taking the lead in the Pgh area, had been more conservative than B&N about the area. It seems that now they're back in expansion mode, which is great.

Yes, Joseph-Beth. I like that place too. Its too bad they don't have an in-store cafe. I think they have access to the one next door though (Caribou?).

Yes, Joseph-Beth has access to Caribou. I think that's a better idea than having an in-store cafe in such an environment.

I'll take Crazy Mocha over Caribou though.

Archived