Building Boom Begins

mercurypa

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw that. B&N claimed to be closing because their lease ended, but I am willing to bet that they just decided to focus on the Duquesne location.

I was also sad to see that Bradley's book store closed. Aparently it was part of that block being torn down along 5th Ave.

I hope a new bookstore will open within Downtown. The one at Duqesne will be a little out-of-the-way for people living or working at the other end of town.

BN's current location is central to most of downtown. Opening the DQU store will skew the centrality of the existing location. So when you think about it, moving that location makes a lot of sense. They will most likely move further towards the point. If/when they announce a new location expect it to be a second story floor rather than a store front as it is now. They have a lot of problems with theft apparently.

The retail market is a "tenant's market" downtown just like the office market. Now is the time for major moves like this.

It thrills me to see Crazy Mocha expanding so much. I love to see a local business doing well; and I am glad they are doing it despite the aggressive tactics of Starbucks. I just read something recently about how Starbucks sometimes even opens two locations across the street from each other!

It thrills me to see Crazy Mocha expanding so much. I love to see a local business doing well; and I am glad they are doing it despite the aggressive tactics of Starbucks. I just read something recently about how Starbucks sometimes even opens two locations across the street from each other!

Ok, here is the latest on the street about Barnes and Nobel.

-The store uptown will be a "super store" I'm not sure exactly what that means except that I guess it will be big

-Their downtown presence will be at Point Park University. I guess this will be an expansion of their existing Student Bookstore/Barnes and Nobel.

B&N does operate cmapus oriented stores and the Duquesne ones would likely be one of those. I have no idea what a "super" one would be other than big, but why there?

I went to Duquesne and would have loved one there at the time, but didn't mind walking downtown and love that downtown location for B&N.

• 1 month later...

Demolition and construction has finally begun on this new low rise condominum project across from Whole Foods in East Liberty/Shadyside. It will be a great place to live when finished because it is so central to many urban conveniences like Whole Foods, the new Borders, the Highland Ave business district, restauraunts, public transit etc.

http://www.loftsonbaum.com/

Now if they would just start the Highland Building project.

East Liberty is crazy these days. I remember going to the AAA building for drivers ed in high school and being pretty scared the whole time I was there. Now its on fire.

Not to keep harping on it, but all the E. Liberty projects (and the strip district projects) would be alot more attractive to me if they had light rail access to Downtown and Oakland...The Busway is great for what it is, but a bus is a bus.

I agree with that logic. Even if there were only one line connecting the east end with downtown it would be majestic. But given the current way infrastructure is governed here (ie:turning down a free arena and redevelopment of an area that has long been neglected as a connector to the rest of the city), I don't think it will happen. I've been trying to be a cheerleader, but Im looking elsewhere now.

As for the T.... a connection to the east would indeed be great. But I have been thinking about it, and the East Busway really is very nice. It's an extremely fast way to get into town. I think it would make more sense to run environmentally-friendly buses along the busway than convert it to light rail.

Archived