New Orleans (Marrero) - Belle Promenade

http://www.deadmalls.com/malls/belle_promenade.html

New Orleans - New Orleans Centre

http://www.deadmalls.com/malls/new_orleans_centre.html

New Orleans - The Plaza at Lake Forest

http://www.deadmalls.com/malls/plaza_at_lake_forest.html

Shreveport - South Park Mall

http://www.deadmalls.com/malls/south_park_mall.html

NCB, you may know of some of the New Orleans area malls listed above. I personally know of South Park Mall, because my aunt lived down the street from it and I used to go there with her sometimes and ride the carousel. It was a good 30 minutes from my house, so I didn't get to go there all the time. My old neighborhood mall, Pierre Bossier Mall, is still in existence, although it may also be gracing the pages of this website within a few years if it continues to attract thugs.

I will soon take, and submit to them, a photo of SouthPark Mall, as it is now a church (NCB, you may have seen this off 3132 when you were in Shreveport recently.) I think it's very interesting how it went from a mall to a nearly 1,000,000 sq. ft. church.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In BR, as a kid, we used to eat at the Picadilly and go to the movies at Bon Marche Mall . Then Cortana Mall soon took over . Bon Marche was mostly vacant until it was recently re-developed as a thriving Technology and Business Center ! Now Cortana is under transformation . Many stores have left in favor of Mall of La. , and the latest Life-Style Center(440,000 sq.ft )called" Towne Center at Cedar Lodge ". And soon to be more competion with "Perkins Rowe" urban village and Mall of La. expansion called "The Boulevard".

What are they doing with Cortana Mall? I can't say I was ever thrilled with it. Even when it was new, it had an aura of impermanence. I remember when they opened it they had all sorts of hoopla....it was supposed to be so wonderdul....Too bad that Godchaux's and Maison Blanche are history now. I worked one summer at the theaters in Bon Marche. It's been turned into a technology park now?

In BR, as a kid, we used to eat at the Picadilly and go to the movies at Bon Marche Mall . Then Cortana Mall soon took over . Bon Marche was mostly vacant until it was recently re-developed as a thriving Technology and Business Center ! Now Cortana is under transformation . Many stores have left in favor of Mall of La. , and the latest Life-Style Center(440,000 sq.ft )called" Towne Center at Cedar Lodge ". And soon to be more competion with "Perkins Rowe" urban village and Mall of La. expansion called "The Boulevard".

So Bon Marche is a "dead mall" redeveloped as a technology center? You probably ought to submit your story about that mall to the folks at deadmalls.com, because I'm sure they'd love to add that to their list.

This is the mall that I'm most familiar with from that list.

The New Orleans Centre really isn't doing to well for itself these days. Like the article said, Canal Place and The Riverwalk malls are very popular in downtown New Orleans, but action at the NOC has slowed down considerably. The anchor stores have left, as have many of the other stores and customers. The NOC is connected to the Hyatt via an underground tunnel, which I've always liked, and it did well with out of towners staying at the Hyatt because it was so easy to access, and it also does well and becomes active on sundays when the Saints are playing at home, since it's right across from the Dome and many go to the NOC to buy merchandise, hit the food court, or get in with WWL 870's pregame coverage, which is often broadcasted from the New Orleans Centre.

I plan on driving by the old South Park mall this weekend and taking pictures. I will post them here, as well as send them to deadmalls.com. I think you will be surprised to see what it looks like now... the old JCPenney store is now the sanctuary, complete with a steeple and a steep roof pitch. Go figure?!

I plan on driving by the old South Park mall this weekend and taking pictures. I will post them here, as well as send them to deadmalls.com. I think you will be surprised to see what it looks like now... the old JCPenney store is now the sanctuary, complete with a steeple and a steep roof pitch. Go figure?!

I look forward to seeing the pictures, supkof! Turning a mall into a church sounds like a very interesting transformation. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, this morning I took the Inner Loop to work, and decided to stop off at the site of the old South Park Mall, now Summer Grove Baptist Church, to take photos. You will notice in a couple of the photos, there is still a Burlington Coat Factory location there. This is the only business the church has allowed to remain, for whatever reason. The sanctuary of this church was built in what used to be a JC Penney department store. I'm not sure that these pictures really give an indication of the size of this place, it but was a nearly 1,000,000 sq. ft. mall... and was the nicest mall in this area until the thugs took it over. I know many people who lived in this area of Shreveport, who describe walking through the mall and seeing only 1 or 2 people in the entire place who were actually there to shop. The rest were the thugs who decided to bring the streets indoors. Sad, sad, sad...

Well, here are my photos...

136251709.jpg

136251702.jpg

136251697.jpg

136251693.jpg

136251688.jpg

136251376.jpg

136251374.jpg

136251370.jpg

136251368.jpg

136251365.jpg

136250550.jpg

136250539.jpg

136250535.jpg

136250534.jpg

136250533.jpg

136250532.jpg

136250530.jpg

136250529.jpg

136250527.jpg

136250524.jpg

136250516.jpg

136250512.jpg

136250510.jpg

136250509.jpg

136250506.jpg

Thanks for the photos!

It is sad to hear about a thriving mall going downhill because of thugs, but I guess it's nice that they were able to turn it into something useful, instead of just letting it sit there on the lot with nothing going on.

Here is the Bon Carre Office Centre, which is the former Bon Marche Mall in Baton Rouge. :D

Photo courtesy of fla_tiger over at SSP

p1010002.jpg

The tech center that is currently in BR is very nice. Cox Communications has their local operations there. Convergys and Equifax also have operations there. The state of LA has a technology center set up there to help small businesses in the tech field get off to a good start.

Here is the Bon Carre Office Centre, which is the former Bon Marche Mall in Baton Rouge. :D

Photo courtesy of fla_tiger over at SSP

p1010002.jpg

I must say that is absolutely amazing. It doesn't even look like something you'd expect to see in Baton Rouge. A BIG thumbs up for that project!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

• 3 months later...

Cortana is starting to go down. A lot of stores have left and the Sears end of the mall is starting to die. But maybe if they renovate it or something it will start to be in good standing again.

Sounds like Pierre Bossier. It's really going downhill, and after SouthPark's collapse, it had become the nicest mall around here. Now the only NICE enclosed mall here is Pierremont Mall, but it's TINY.

I hate to hear that about Cortana.

That's what happened with Mall Of Memphis, thugs brought their nonsense into the mall and eventually caused the mall to shut down. SouthPark was one of my favorite malls in Louisiana. The only time I go to New Orleans Centre is to work out at that gym, and let me tell you it's like a ghost town up in there. You can hear your own echo in that place. Think about it, New Orleans Centre was at the far edge of downtown, worlds away from French Quarter and CBD.

From www.deadmalls.com, here is a list of "dead" malls throughout Louisiana:

New Orleans (Marrero) - Belle Promenade

http://www.deadmalls.com/malls/belle_promenade.html

http://www.deadmalls.com/malls/new_orleans_centre.html

New Orleans - The Plaza at Lake Forest

http://www.deadmalls.com/malls/plaza_at_lake_forest.html

Shreveport - South Park Mall

http://www.deadmalls.com/malls/south_park_mall.html

NCB, you may know of some of the New Orleans area malls listed above. I personally know of South Park Mall, because my aunt lived down the street from it and I used to go there with her sometimes and ride the carousel. It was a good 30 minutes from my house, so I didn't get to go there all the time. My old neighborhood mall, Pierre Bossier Mall, is still in existence, although it may also be gracing the pages of this website within a few years if it continues to attract thugs.

I will soon take, and submit to them, a photo of SouthPark Mall, as it is now a church (NCB, you may have seen this off 3132 when you were in Shreveport recently.) I think it's very interesting how it went from a mall to a nearly 1,000,000 sq. ft. church.

Don't worry about the New Orleans mall especially Centre and Lakeforest- Realtors and developers from outside the city definetely have their eyes on it

Don't worry about the New Orleans mall especially Centre and Lakeforest- Realtors and developers from outside the city definetely have their eyes on it

Well, the New Orleans Centre will most likely be destroyed in the process of completing the massive Jazz Park in downtown New Orleans.

I realize the New Orleans Centre was not doing well; but I'm sorry to hear it will be demolished. Being from BR, I had no idea the Centre had been struggling for years.

Trust me, if it is demolished and the Jazz Park plan works out as planned, it will not be missed. Normally I would be sorry to see it go too, but this Jazz Park plan could be huge for the city.

Trust me, if it is demolished and the Jazz Park plan works out as planned, it will not be missed. Normally I would be sorry to see it go too, but this Jazz Park plan could be huge for the city.

The Jazz Park sounds much better than the alternative... a dead mall. I've seen the renderings you've posted and it looks world-class.

Archived