Regional Events and Conventions

HORSE FESTIVAL 2006

Coming March 31 & April 1, 2006 to the Pauline Whitaker Animal Science Arena, Fayetteville, AR. The Horse Festival has something for everyone; amazing demonstrations, exciting quadrilles, rare breeds on display that you may have never seen or even heard of before now! A few of our favorites will be returning from last year as well as a fantastic line-up of new comers. Bring the whole family out and enjoy a day at the FESTIVAL!!

My son loves horses and this is going to be a great "family-oriented" event. They're going to have Cowboy Mounted Shooting, Sport Reining Demonstrations, Butterfield Stage Coach Rides, but the real reason I'm wanting to go is for the Mounted Fury Medieval Exhibition! My son loves knight's as much as he does horses and this'll be a good teaser until we go to the Oklahoma Renaissance Festival in May. :D

BTW... March 31 is not really part of the Festival... it's more for horse training.

HORSE FESTIVAL 2006

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HORSE FESTIVAL 2006

Coming March 31 & April 1, 2006 to the Pauline Whitaker Animal Science Arena, Fayetteville, AR. The Horse Festival has something for everyone; amazing demonstrations, exciting quadrilles, rare breeds on display that you may have never seen or even heard of before now! A few of our favorites will be returning from last year as well as a fantastic line-up of new comers. Bring the whole family out and enjoy a day at the FESTIVAL!!

My son loves horses and this is going to be a great "family-oriented" event. They're going to have Cowboy Mounted Shooting, Sport Reining Demonstrations, Butterfield Stage Coach Rides, but the real reason I'm wanting to go is for the Mounted Fury Medieval Exhibition! My son loves knight's as much as he does horses and this'll be a good teaser until we go to the Oklahoma Renaissance Festival in May. :D

BTW... March 31 is not really part of the Festival... it's more for horse training.

HORSE FESTIVAL 2006

good idea for a thread.

if i was there, i might check out the horse fest. the house i am moving into once had horses and the whole set up is still there.

Yeah this is a good idea. :D I should have mentioned this earlier but it seems like a month or two ago they had the Lipizzaner stallions out there at that facility. But I didn't hear about it till it was already happening so I guess I couldn't give you any heads up on it.

2006 FORT SMITH REGIONAL AIRSHOW

MARCH 25-26, 2006

Peformances by:

• USAF Thunderbirds

• Shockwave Jet Truck

• USAF F-15 Strike Eagle Demonstration

• USAF F-4 Phantom Demonstration

• USAF A-10 Warthog Demonstration

• F-18 Super Hornet Demo

• F-117 Stealth Fighter Demo

• And Much More!!!

The Show begins at 9:00 AM. Admission is FREE. Free parking and shuttle bus service are available, and attendees are encouraged to bring their own lawn chairs. Backpacks and coolers are prohibited.

Fort Smith Regional AirShow

2006 FORT SMITH REGIONAL AIRSHOW

MARCH 25-26, 2006

Peformances by:

• USAF Thunderbirds

• Shockwave Jet Truck

• USAF F-15 Strike Eagle Demonstration

• USAF F-4 Phantom Demonstration

• USAF A-10 Warthog Demonstration

• F-18 Super Hornet Demo

• F-117 Stealth Fighter Demo

• And Much More!!!

The Show begins at 9:00 AM. Admission is FREE. Free parking and shuttle bus service are available, and attendees are encouraged to bring their own lawn chairs. Backpacks and coolers are prohibited.

Fort Smith Regional AirShow

Is it my imagination or are you a fan of airplanes and such? :D By the way are you going to this?

Is it my imagination or are you a fan of airplanes and such? :D By the way are you going to this?

I'm a huge fan of airplanes... mostly modern military jets. Unfortunately I'm not going to make this event as depressing as it sounds as my family has prior engagements and I didn't hear about it until this week. I'm definitely going to the Fayetteville Air Show this Summer but it's nothing close to Fort Smith's.

I'm a huge fan of airplanes... mostly modern military jets. Unfortunately I'm not going to make this event as depressing as it sounds as my family has prior engagements and I didn't hear about it until this week. I'm definitely going to the Fayetteville Air Show this Summer but it's nothing close to Fort Smith's.

I saw the Thunderbirds last year at Jacksonville(Little Rock Airforce Base). They put on a great show. The Blue Angels will be there this year.

I can't say I've been to any airshows yet. But I might have to look into Fayetteville's later this year. A little late for me to try for Ft Smith's since I just got back into town. I'd probably be more comfortable trying out Fayetteville's first before I went to another city's. But anyway thanks for the info. :D

I saw the Thunderbirds last year at Jacksonville(Little Rock Airforce Base). They put on a great show. The Blue Angels will be there this year.

I barely keep up with planning for events here in NWA that I'm usually too late for the bigger city's events. It's been years since I saw the Blue Angels out in California, but I still like the Thunderbirds due to them flying the F-16 Falcon with it's single 16,000-pound thrust engine versus the the Blue Angel's F-18 Hornet and it's puny twin 5,000-pound thrust engines. Either jet hitting it's afterburners while flying low over the crowd is a huge thrill, but you haven't felt the ultimate thrill until you've experienced the F-16 in full afterburn! :D

I can't say I've been to any airshows yet. But I might have to look into Fayetteville's later this year. A little late for me to try for Ft Smith's since I just got back into town. I'd probably be more comfortable trying out Fayetteville's first before I went to another city's. But anyway thanks for the info. :D

I'll try to post events as much as a month in advance.

32nd Annual Dogwood Festival

April 28-30, 2006

Held in two of Siloam Springs' beautiful parks along Sager Creek, the Dogwood Festival gets bigger and better each year. Vendors and exhibitors from across the country bring jewelry, candles, woodwork, ironwork, toys, arrangements, food and games for everyone to enjoy. There will be more than 128 vendor booths.

Grady Nichols Jr., a Siloam Springs native and saxophonist, who recently was inducted into the Oklahoma Jazz Hall of Fame, will take center stage as the "headline act" on Friday night. On Saturday, Brizas de Centro America, a Latino band that played last year, will perform several Latino styles including Cumbias and Nortena.

More than 30,000 people will visit the Dogwood Festival this year. Don't miss this wonderful weekend with local and regional talent on stage each day with two night concerts as well. Admission: Free.

Siloam Springs Chamber of Commerce

Interesting, can't say I've heard of that one, thanks for the info. :D

It's been around for 32 years and you've never heard of it? :blink: I have yet to make it out there, but it's almost as big a deal as War Eagle Crafts Fair. I'm really going to try to go this year.

It's been around for 32 years and you've never heard of it? :blink: I have yet to make it out there, but it's almost as big a deal as War Eagle Crafts Fair. I'm really going to try to go this year.

I wonder if perhaps I haven't heard as much about it because it's in Benton County. Maybe we have some down here that people up in Benton County aren't as familiar with as well. But no I haven't heard of it. I do know they are trying to build up some other fair/festivals to compete with War Eagle but I haven't heard of any yet that compare.

I wonder if perhaps I haven't heard as much about it because it's in Benton County. Maybe we have some down here that people up in Benton County aren't as familiar with as well. But no I haven't heard of it. I do know they are trying to build up some other fair/festivals to compete with War Eagle but I haven't heard of any yet that compare.

Siloam Springs is situated on Hwy 412 so I always thought it was actually in Washington County. It's also directly west of Springdale and is actually a further drive from Rogers and Bentonville. Okay so you never heard of it, but it's bigger than Springfest and Featherfest so it's still worth a visit if you like that kind of event.

Siloam Springs is situated on Hwy 412 so I always thought it was actually in Washington County. It's also directly west of Springdale and is actually a further drive from Rogers and Bentonville. Okay so you never heard of it, but it's bigger than Springfest and Featherfest so it's still worth a visit if you like that kind of event.

Yeah Benton County starts dipping southward as you go west. But anyway thanks for the info, it's nice to hear about something that apparently I've been missing out on.

Late notice but I didn't hear anything about this till today. The Fayetteville Public Library is having an event this weekend called First Look @ Film. There will be 13 films by local and Arkansas film makers shown. Some are as short as 5 minutes, others are about an hour long.

2006 FARMERS MARKETS

Fayetteville Farmers Market

April 1 - Thanksgiving

Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays from 7am - 1pm.

Only Saturdays in November.

Located on Fayetteville's remarkable downtown square. Featuring herbs, house plants, aquatic plants, perennials and bedding plants with plant experts on hand offering advice. There is lamb, beef, chicken, pork & honey available, and eggs when the hens are laying. Unique handmade items include Pine Needle Baskets, Pottery, Candles, Quilts, Watercolors, Woven Rugs, Birdhouses, Toys, Dolls, one-of-a-kind Knit Hats, decorative items and Face Painting. On Saturdays the market is filled with live music from local musicians. Open Rain or Shine! www.fayettevillefarmersmarket.org

Fayetteville Mill District Market

June 1 - September

Thursdays from 4pm - 7pm.

The Mill District Market is located on the corner of 6th Street and S. School (Bus. Hwy. 71) in Fayetteville. Featuring fresh locally grown vegetables and fruit.

Rogers Farmers Market

May 6 - October 28

Wednesday and Saturdays from 7am - 1pm.

June 5 - August 28, Mondays from 4pm - 7pm.

Located at Frisco Park in Historic Downtown Rogers. Featuring NW Arkansas's finest in fresh, locally grown vegetables and fruits, herbs, bedding plants, perennials, cut flowers and handicrafts. A Main Street Rogers event!

Bentonville Farmers Market

April 22 - First frost in the fall

Saturdays from 6:30am - 1pm.

Located on the Bentonville Square. Featuring home grown produce, fresh flowers and plants, unique arts and crafts for sale. Come enjoy what our local vendors have to offer! Open Rain or Shine!

Springdale Farmers Market

???not announced yet???

I wasn't sure if all the other NWA cities had farmer's markets but I figured many of them did seeing how well Fayetteville's does. Now that you mention it I don't think I have heard of Springdale doing one as of yet.

The Springdale Farmers Market has been running for the last several years... since I moved here in '98. It's not as well known or advertised, hence the lack of an announcement to date. It's held at the Jones Center for Families in the front garden area. I've been there once and they did have it last year but you never know with Springdale. Rogers' Farmers Market is in it's 18th year and Bentonville's Farmers Market has been going for 30 years. Fayetteville's Farmers Market is in it's 33rd year. The others are not as well known though they are advertised as well as Fayetteville's. But Fayetteville at least has a dedicated website whereas the others depend on the Chambers of Commerce and Arkansas Tourist Commissions to advertise for them. New this year I believe is the Mill District Market in Fayetteville... at least I've never heard of that one.

No offense Mith, but not everything is exclusive to Fayetteville. :D

The Springdale Farmers Market has been running for the last several years... since I moved here in '98. It's not as well known or advertised, hence the lack of an announcement to date. It's held at the Jones Center for Families in the front garden area. I've been there once and they did have it last year but you never know with Springdale. Rogers' Farmers Market is in it's 18th year and Bentonville's Farmers Market has been going for 30 years. Fayetteville's Farmers Market is in it's 33rd year. The others are not as well known though they are advertised as well as Fayetteville's. But Fayetteville at least has a dedicated website whereas the others depend on the Chambers of Commerce and Arkansas Tourist Commissions to advertise for them. New this year I believe is the Mill District Market in Fayetteville... at least I've never heard of that one.

No offense Mith, but not everything is exclusive to Fayetteville. :D

No, I didn't mean it that way. But with Fayetteville being the biggest city in NWA it tends to do things like this first. Although as you said Bentonville's is almost as old. I imagine living in Fayetteville I hear more about it's Farmer's Market and don't tend to hear as much about the other city's markets.

The 2006 Horse Festival was a big hit on Saturday. My son loved it! There were a great selection of breeds on display and my son seemed to like the Friesian horse the best. It's an awesome jet black horse as big as the Clydesdale but seemingly made up of nothing but muscle. It reminded me of the black knight chess piece with the way it held it's head high and arched. The Medieval Jousting was fun, if not a bit amateurish, and the Professional Cowboy Mounted Shooting demonstration was spectacular. I never knew a blank firing from a .45 could shoot burning embers up to 20 feet away, which is how the cowboys shot the balloon targets setup on the course. There were pony rides... my son rode a shetland pony named Buttons. He also got a signed picture from Miss Rodeo Arkansas, Katie Brock, who was quite the looker. :whistling:

There was some excitement when one of the Quadrille girls got thrown from her horse and had to be taken away by ambulance, although they did announce she was fine and just needed to get checked out. She wasn't the only one thrown from her horse but there weren't any injuries... it wasn't a rodeo. Anyway it was worth the $8.00 admission.

Glad your family enjoyed it. Seemed like it was a pretty busy weekend with a number of things going on.

Yeah, the Horse Festival may have actually lowered the attendance of the Arkansas Stars first home game... that or it was a lack of advertising.

Yeah, the Horse Festival may have actually lowered the attendance of the Arkansas Stars first home game... that or it was a lack of advertising.

There were quite a few things going on just in Fayetteville this weekend. I think that probably didn't help, but I also think word hasn't gotten out much about the team either.

Archived