What's your favorite Charlotte building?

These pics don't do my favorite Charlotte buildings justice, but I think these are very cool. I probably could have gotten better shots, but trust me, security at both are tight. I'm just glad they didn't take my camera from me.

First, the Coca Cola Plaza building, designed by Harry Wolf and built in 1983

112983241_afa28c8c4e.jpg

And next we have Temple Israel, built in 1987

112983243_6792772702.jpg

112993460_7beae8d44b.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been thinking long and hard about this and I realized that I really don't like many low-rise buildings in Charlotte. There are a few houses that I find exceptionally attractive, and some townhouses here and there, but as a whole, Charlotte has pretty boring low-rise development.

I would probably have to pick the Montaldo's building in Uptown or the retail building on Providence that sits off the road a bit at Fenton that is 60's mod...that building would win by a long shot it it was a bit more pedestrian friendly.

I'm really kind of upset now that I've thought about our building stock in comparison to many other cities. I can think of several buildings in Statesville that I prefer to any lowrises here.....sad.

A2, you're not following directions. It can't be a high rise. Pay attention! ;)

oops my bad :huh:

How's about the Ivey building then. It is not my fav, but still decent, older architecture that adds a bit of character to our streetscape.

A2

(I still like 121 though :P )

I have two that I will list here.

First this building is the real thing. No gaudy EFIS. :P

107_0733.jpg

The next one is not really a building but a parking garage. The reason that I like it is that it is an excellent example of how something like this can be integrated into the urban fabric to provide a place for people to go to. It adds to the street life. The fact that it will also play music and do a show for you if you know the secret is a really nice touch.

107_0746.jpg

Spirit Square really is a gem. I'm not too keen on Calvary, though, there is some creepy about it to me.

7th Street Station is definitely a great building. It is one of those structures that people remember and feel comfortable with. I know so many people who might not come downtown often, but they say "I always just go to 7th Street Station and go from there"

Another one that I like is The CocaCola building on West Morehead.

I was going to mention the Rotunda, but since someone else already did ;), I'll have to vote for a particular building that is hidden from public view for the most part.

Part of the IBM South complex on Arrowood Rd has some pretty intriguing architecture. Granted, I haven't been back in there in at least 5+ years but there was always one building that caught my eye. Has dark blue (or green glass) and slanted walls. When you first see it, it may remind you of a pyramid. It was also partly surrounded by a mote.

Anyway, it's definately contemparary design and nothing really outstanding, just one of my personal faves.

Anyone have any pics?

I think Calvary Church is a great building. So striking. Hard to forget.

I also like Jim Black's office on Tryon Street, in among the skyscrapers. (Does anyone know its history?)

And there's a wonderful newbuilt house in NoDa, purple I guess, that looks like a fun place to live.

I also like the Calvary Church (don't shoot me)

I've never seen that place before. That is what a modern church-business should look like!

On their website it says,

Even with a 1,500-seat sanctuary, by 1984 four services were required to contain the crowds. A plan was developed to build a 5,000-seat worship center. This met with neighborhood opposition, and the city council blocked the building of such a large church.

As a result, Ross Rhoads and the elders eyed property in rural Mecklenburg County. Studies revealed that it was the growing edge of Charlotte, and in 1985, a developer gave the church 100 acres on a rural road, Highway 51.

Does anybody know which neighborhood they originally wanted to build in?

Does anybody know which neighborhood they originally wanted to build in?

Their first church building was on Sardis Rd where Randolph dead ends into it. When it opened in the mid 1970s, the Observer did a front page story on the innovative building. That building is still there but it is owned by some other church as Calvary outgrew it and it wasn't possible to expand in that location. They then moved to the Hwy 51 locale that is shown in the above photo. (late 80s early 90s) I believe the original design called for some kind of pink granite, but they had to cut that out due to the high cost and instead we got the fake stucco.

Their first church building was on Sardis Rd where Randolph dead ends into it. When it opened in the mid 1970s, the Observer did a front page story on the innovative building. That building is still there but it is owned by some other church as Calvary outgrew it and it wasn't possible to expand in that location. They then moved to the Hwy 51 locale that is shown in the above photo. (late 80s early 90s) I believe the original design called for some kind of pink granite, but they had to cut that out due to the high cost and instead we got the fake stucco.

The interesting thing is, for all that planning, they've never been able to fill the main sanctuary and they've had problems paying off the debt they assumed to build it.

Archived