The End In Sight for Tiger Stadium

wolverine

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's been a long time coming. Redeveloping a stadium is hard enough. Redeveloping and old stadium in a struggling city, especially when the neighborhood around it doesn't want it, is nearly impossible. It will be missed, but it is time to move on. My only worry is that the city has shown us no reason why we should trust them that this won't become another parking lot, or low-end, suburban styled and functioned, development.

Well, there's not much that can be done with this place. I had some great memories there, but I think it's time to let go. Corktown will benefit more with something new there (hopefully not big box), but restoration of the street grid with shopping and housing.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Corktown has been trying to get rid of that thing for decades now anyway. It's just stopping progress in the neighborhood.

The silver linning here is that the city isn't the only entity, here. Corktown has a strong neighborhood association (probably the strongest in the downtown area, or even the city), and they've been active in this whole process. That's what gives me some kind of hope that this will not turn out to be a total disappointment in the end.

I hope they decide what they're going to do soon and act on it soon. I believe the uncertainty surrounding it is holding back private investment in the rest of Corktown (likewise with the MCS). But I do hope they could preserve a tiny sliver of the original structure as a monument of what once existed there. And like many of you, I hope what replaces it is a vibrant, dense, urban, mixed-use district with street grid restored and not some purely residential townhouses but rather something to complement the loft conversions to the east of it, something to turn Corktown into a real two-dimensional district.

They are going to HAVE to do something with it soon, or risk it becoming a ruin, which even the city doesn't seem believe that that is even an option, anymore. As the article states, the city is running running on empty, in terms of funds, and keeping an empty stadium maintained will probably be one of the first things cut.

Archived