Municipal elections

krazeeboi

Next month, Columbians will have the opportunity to elect their leaders for the next few years. That said, it seems as though the mayoral race is REALLY heating up, especially between Coble and Kevin Fisher, a contender for the city's highest political office. The Free Times has an article about the mayoral race (scroll down to the bottom). Seems as though Fisher's campaign strategy is simply to point out the negatives of Coble's administration instead of describing what he would do differently. It was this part of the article that showed me that Coble definitely needs to remain in office:

Fisher charges that Coble has lost focus on the local and instead fixates on highfalutin notions like the "knowledge economy" and economic development, a task he says lots of people at the state level get paid good money to pursue. "I would change the focus of the mayor back to the city, its citizens, its neighborhoods and its services," he says.

Any city that waits for the state to make something happen there is a city destined for failure. Cities need to take charge of their OWN destinies by utilizing the resources they already have, which is what Columbia is doing by partnering with USC for the research campus. If this Fisher guy can't see that, then he's obviously not the man for the job--especially since he makes a false dichotomy between local issues and economic development. The two go hand in hand. What's this cat's edcuational background???

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know what his educational background is, but I know he has an ad agency and I also know some people that are acquainted with him. I was open to hearing what he has to say, but the more I hear the more I'm convinced that Bob should continue to be our mayor. One telling sign about Fisher is that, of the people I've talked to that know him or have met him, not a single one actually likes him.

Yes, I think that does indeed say a lot.

Furthermore, a campaign run on highlighting the incumbent's missteps is hardly a campaign at all. From what I read in the article, he doesn't have anything solid that addresses issues in the city like economic development, taxes, homelessness, urban development, etc.

I'm voting for Leona Plaugh for Mayor! :P

I do think Bob should stick around for at least the next 5-10 years as our Mayor. I think Fisher is going to run with the philosophy that a new major means change overnight, and I think the GP is smart enough to realize that this isn't the case.

Furthermore, a campaign run on highlighting the incumbent's missteps is hardly a campaign at all. From what I read in the article, he doesn't have anything solid that addresses issues in the city like economic development, taxes, homelessness, urban development, etc.

Sounds like the Jimmy Bailey strategy. He ran against Joe Riley in Charleston last time. He basically said "it's time for a change!" That works initially, but somewhere along the way, you have to actually SAY what the CHANGE will be. When he couldn't do that, he faded. Needless to say, he lost.

Change just for the sake of change is meaningless. If you don't specify how the changes will occur, and actually demonstrate that they will be for the better, people will tune you out. Fisher needs to come up with something that at least resembles a comprehensive strategy if anyone with even a shred of intellect and reason is to take him seriously.

I'm voting for Leona Plaugh for Mayor! :P

I do think Bob should stick around for at least the next 5-10 years as our Mayor. I think Fisher is going to run with the philosophy that a new major means change overnight, and I think the GP is smart enough to realize that this isn't the case.

Who? Leona Helmsley? Isn't she the one that said "only the little people pay taxes" before they shipped her off to jail? :shades:

Matt, I think you may have misunderstood Coleman's statement. She said, "City council positions have become quite lucrative for those who hold them...With the exception of me and Antonio Williams, all other candidates are in a position to personally gain from this position."

But I agree, Tameika really seems as though she's the only one who really knows what she's talking about. There really seems to be some misunderstanding about the financial reserves account, as the disparate answers given show.

This was the whole text of Coleman's answer and I think it insinuated that Tameika Devine had benefited from her position; which I believe to be a false statement, not to mention dirty politics:

" Coleman: It is unethical for anyone on city council to pursue or derive personal monetary gains through their position. City council positions have become quite lucrative for those who hold them, including Mrs. Devine. The issue resulting in Mr. Osborne's resignation cannot be applied selectively. With the exception of me and Antonio Williams, all other candidates are in a position to personally gain from this position."

Archived