Greenville Likes/Ways to Improve?

mallguy

To mimic some other forums, what do people like most about Greenville? What can we improve on?

For me, the likes far outweigh the dislikes:

1. Nice, pleasant people.

2. Nice neighborhoods, especially near downtown.

3. Main Street and its stores and restaurants.

4. Outdoors is close by.

5. Good shopping for a city of its size.

6. Great airport that is easy to use.

Things we can improve on:

1. People seem obsessed with growth at any cost- even growth that is poorly managed (i.e., Eastside chain and office park sprawl). Shouldn't we shift more growth downtown?

2. Downtown other than the area around Main Street is not as nice as Main Street (parking lots and small, unattractive buildings); and plenty of growth isn't going downtown when it should yet people yammer on about how great downtown is, while it could be a lot better. (Much better than most comparable cities' downtowns, though, I agree.)

3. Laurens Road, Pleasantburg Drive and areas around those parts of town, along with lots of other corridors (e.g., Poinsett Highway, Haywood Road, etc.) are unattractive. Why not work more on beautifying these corridors?

Others?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is only two things I dislike about Greenville. THEY CAN"T SEEM TO GET ANY SKYSCRAPERS BUILT IF THEIR LIFE DEPENDED ON IT and major corridors throughout the city need to look better too. I love everything else about Greenville though. :D

We'll see if this thread can last two pages. <_<

--Main Street corridor

--good business climate

--location in the foothills; rather scenic in this regard

Dislikes

--SPRAWL!

--urban core WAY too small for the size city it is (which is directly related to sprawl)

--ultra-conservative, WASPy nature of some political entities (particularly within the county)

--SPRAWL!

I don't think the thread was started with "bad intent" (as it was started by someone from Greenville), but I can definitely see how problems would arise. Hopefully we can learn our lesson from the Columbia thread; that one didn't get shut down. So if this one doesn't, Greenvillians, put your thick skin on.

As for both a like AND a dislike, I'd have to put I-85 on the list. Good exposure for Greenville since it's so heavily traveled, but the city feels as though it has to line the interstate up with all of these developments to show travelers that a real city exists between Charlotte and Atlanta.

I don't think the thread was started with "bad intent" (as it was started by someone from Greenville), but I can definitely see how problems would arise. Hopefully we can learn our lesson from the Columbia thread; that one didn't get shut down. So if this one doesn't, Greenvillians, put your thick skin on.

This thread WAS started the DAY AFTER the flair up with the Columbia thread....so yes, thats bad intent. And Krazee, how do know where mallguy lives. His sig doesn't say.

This thread WAS started the DAY AFTER the flair up with the Columbia thread....so yes, thats bad intent. And Krazee, how do know where mallguy lives. His sig doesn't say.

You're right, it doesn't say, but most of his comments I've read have been in the Greenville subforum.

And his admission that he didn't really even participate in that thread doesn't seem like bad intent to me. I don't suggest that the thread be closed, but simply be monitored closely. I think a lot of positives can come from it, especially since we're not exclusively discussing dislikes here. I'd be interested in hearing what Greenvillians have to say about dislikes myself, since, from my experiences, you all tend to be less critical of your city than Charlestonians and Columbians.

You're right, it doesn't say, but most of his comments I've read have been in the Greenville subforum.

And his admission that he didn't really even participate in that thread doesn't seem like bad intent to me. I don't suggest that the thread be closed, but simply be monitored closely. I think a lot of positives can come from it, especially since we're not exclusively discussing dislikes here. I'd be interested in hearing what Greenvillians have to say about dislikes myself, since, from my experiences, you all tend to be less critical of your city than Charlestonians and Columbians.

Right Krazee. It should be discussed what we "can IMPROVE on". Same for any other city. Funny, you want to hear what Greenvillians think, but you jumped on this post with your dislikes. Are you Greenvillian?

Had this been started as a "How can we improve", "What can we do better". I wouldn't have questioned it. This is an inflammatory thread, IMHO.

I balanced out the "dislikes" with the "likes" (which I mentioned first, meaning that I "jumped" with my likes first), not to inflame anyone of course, but because the original topic of the thread was "Greenville Likes/Dislikes," only having been recently edited (which is a good thing, IMO--it changes the focus of the discussion). For the sake of mentioning one way to improve (as I have in other threads, specifically the "I-85 mini-skyline" thread), build densely in the CBD and naturally let that begin to spread towards the I-85 corridor. I'm not a Greenvillian, but I do have a vested interest in the city being that it's one of our great state's major cities, and that it's along the heavily-traveled I-85 corridor, so for many people who don't come to SC for tourism purposes (MB, Charleston), the only opinion they may form of our state (besides the quacky media) is by passing through. I simply said that I would like to see the opinions of Greenvillians because from what I've seen on UP, you all tend to be less critical of your city.

Oh yeah, and I want to see Greenville and the Upstate lead the way in this state with mass transit; that will help mitigate the sprawl somewhat (although I'm somewhat ambivalent towards certain forms of it as of now). Think one day we could see some type of Upstate SC/Asheville metro commuter rail system?

Everyone keep this discussion professional and it won't have to be closed. I welcome the opportunity to discuss ways to improve the City of Greenville, as is quite obvious in many threads in this forum. As for UP Greenvillians speaking positively about the city most of the time, that is because this city is infectious and simply one of the rarest treasures in the nation. People can't help but look at things in an enthusiastically positive manner. If you don't understand that, then you haven't spent enough time here. ;)

I don't have time to go into detail about every positive and negative, but here is a beginning:

Positives

• Location - Simply the BEST positioned city to live, work, and play!

• Vision - City leaders and residents have dreamed BIG and worked hard to accomplish the "impossible."

• Vitality - Citizens respond to the success by investing their lives in the community. This strengthens the economy and thus increases the level of quality.

• Role model - Greenville is one of the most desired and admired cities because of its tremendously successful downtown revival.

• Award-winning downtown - The successful execution of previous visions have earned Greenville many regional, national, and international awards.

• Large group of young professionals

• Highest per capita of engineers in the World

• Home to dozens of national and international corporate headquarters.

• GREEN! - Fantastic greenway systems, parks, and public plazas under canopies of shade trees.

• Attractive to celebrities from around the World - Numerous famous faces have made extremely positive comments about the city and several have taken up residence here.

• Local government cares

• Best place to raise a family

• High quality education options

• I could go on for days...

Negatives

• Insufficient roads - Lack of a northern loop and freeway to Asheville

• Wasted years of opportunity downtown - 60s, 70s, 80s

• Too many flat-roofed highrises!

• DPC farse - City-appointed committee often hinders potential large-scale developments downtown

• Many local residents unaware of the city's potential (this is rapidly changing though)

• Misunderstanding by non-residents around the nation regarding BJU's influence (or lack thereof) on the community.

• Misunderstanding of actual size and importance of Greenville to many non-residents

I agree with GvilleSC and Skyliner's likes and dislikes totally, especially about Greenville County not saving enough trees. At least the city has enough consent to save some trees like in downtown, but Greenville County just slashes and burns everything when a new development goes up. Hopefully when they start Verdae, they won't slash and burn everything. I don't think they will though because it is in the city limits and they have said they wouldn't.

Now don't get blown away there are some things I like about Greenville.

Main St. very active and quainte small town feel

Reedy River Park

mtn./ foothill town

Furman's campus

proximity to the mountains (for mtn biking).

30mi from Sparkle city (home of mcuh of my family the othe half live in Walterboro)

City does a good job of building upon what it has

Things to improve upon:

Extremely conservative and excluding of anything different views

one major interstate no beltway

lack of middle class minority population (felt very out of place there, like either you had to be the stereotypical "thugged out black man or sell out not much middle ground").

lack of dance clubs (only bars)

lack of road/ interstate connectivity

limited arts scene

white horse road (my first impression of Greenville)

Stereotypically southern views (race relations)

Please explain what you mean by, "limited arts scene."

There are dance clubs in Greenville. You obviously didn't look enough for them. :)

Your perception of race relations is misguided. All people are accepted and welcomed, not based on skin color or ethnicity, but because everyone is a citizen living side-by-side to improve quality of life for others. Any problems you experienced are no different than any other city. There are less tolerant individuals in every city in the World. Greenville does a great job of providing opportunity for everyone to succeed. If you don't believe me, I've got plenty of friends from all kinds of imagineable backgrounds who'll tell you you're wrong. ;)

I agree, Furman is definitely a real asset. BEAUTIFUL campus!

In all seriousness, don't bring up views. If you don't live here then it's hard to truly understand. Race relations in Greenville aren't bad. The city is doing big advertising for an Indian Culture showcase thing (not real sure a whole lot about it, but there's a thread if you don't believe me). Unless you can truly support a claim about an entire area's political views, race relations, etc, then don't start. :thumbsup:

Hey mallguy, where exactly do you live? You spend a lot of time sipping coffee over in the Charlotte Coffee House thread. :P I like the thread though and don't believe there was any ill intent here, myself. I suppose I missed something with the Columbia forum? :huh:

OK...here are my answers...

• Main Street

• RiverPlace and the Reedy Riverwalk

• Falls Park on the Reedy River

• The Greenville Zoo

• The Park System in General

• The New West End Ballpark

• Heritage Green

• The uniform look of the signage throughout downtown

• The cool little vehicles that the parking enforcement drive around

• The Greenville County Library System - it's one of the best networks I've seen anywhere

• Wireless Downtown

• The Greenville County School System and the Commitment to Quality new Schools as a first step to higher quality education for our kids

• Furman University Campus

• Proximity to the Mountains and State Parks (Paris Mountain, Cesars Head, Table Rock, etc.)

• Proximity to Asheville

• Proximity to Charlotte and Atlanta

• Clear Skies and Mountain Views

• Beautiful Sunsets

• The Festivals (Fall for Greenville, Artisphere, Art in the Park, Red White and Blue, Greek Festival, etc.)

• The Downtown Music Scene

• Main Street Jazz

• Downtown AL!VE

• Saturday Morning (Farmers) Market

• The fact that there are no beltways...beltways = SPRAWL

• I-385 and I-85 being high bandwidth to acomodate current traffic and future growth

• The number of Parking Garages there are in Greenville

• St. Francis Hospital for Women and Families

• The people are so friendly that they actually wave to one another as they pass on the street (even perfect strangers)

• Snow (occasionally)

• Autumn Foliage

• Spring Blooms

• Mild Summers

• The climate in general

DISLIKES:sick:

• SPRAWL

• Road Construction (even the smallest projects) seems to take FOREVER here

• Ice Storms

• Not enough effort being put (state-wide, but especially in Greenville) into cultivating a high-tech work force and luring high-tech companies to provide high-tech jobs.

• The selection on the Radio Dial

• No Light Rail Transit (LRT) ... YET

• Litter and Grafitti atop Paris Mountain

• That's about it...

OK...here are my answers...

• The number of Parking Garages there are in Greenville

"There are no parking meters in downtown Greenville, something many people take for granted."

"And no city can touch Greenville on FREE parking downtown." --Mayor Knox White

:D

It is very nice to be able to drive into downtown from almost any direction and park in a garage, especially the Richardson Street Garage on weekends. I love the fact that there is no metered parking downtown. There is definitely a need for a garage in the West End now though.

Archived