North Little Rock Development

We all know about all of the development happening along E. McCain. That area has seen a real explosion in the last year. Also, construction on the new ballpark is about to begin. There are several projects planned around it. I'm sure there will be many more announced as the year goes by. I couldn't find a thread on North Little Rock, so I thought I'd start one to keep up with all that is going on there.

I posted last week about a hooters that is being built in NLR. Well, I noticed another restaurant that has actually already opened just across the freeway, behind target. Texas Roadhouse...not sure how long it's been open, but it's very recent. It's right beside the Pizza Hut, on the access road (Jacksonville Blvd) I heard a while back that one was planned, if the city would improve that road, but never heard anything else about it. Now, it's open. Also, a Montana Grill is about to open on Landers Road, right beside the Hooters.

Edited by tim2462

Last year my wife had some continuing education classes to take in North Little Rock. She said she was near the McCain Mall, and she mentioned how developed that area is with restaurants, retail, and office space. She ate at some cool rustic-looking restaurant (sorry, I don't remember the name she told me) and said it was really good and a very cool concept.

Last year my wife had some continuing education classes to take in North Little Rock. She said she was near the McCain Mall, and she mentioned how developed that area is with restaurants, retail, and office space. She ate at some cool rustic-looking restaurant (sorry, I don't remember the name she told me) and said it was really good and a very cool concept.

My guess would be Shorty Small's though that area's chock full of chain restaurants.

Sorry to keep you guys guessing... but it was bugging me so I asked her this morning. It was this place:

http://www.saddlecreekwoodfiredgrill.com/

Saddle Creek is owned by the Colton's Steak House group. It is more highend than Colton's. It is located in Lakewood Village. Lakewood Village was way ahead of it's time for outdoor shopping centers. It is centered around an outdoor amphitheatre and includes a number of restaurants. Some of the larger ones are: Corky's Bar-B-Q, Crazy Hibachi, Dixie Cafe, Fox and Hound, Olive Garden and TGI Fridays. The larger retail in the center are Books-A-Million, Goody's, Pier One, Stein Mart and USA Drug. The center is just west of McCain Mall.

Saddle Creek is owned by the Colton's Steak House group. It is more highend than Colton's. It is located in Lakewood Village. Lakewood Village was way ahead of it's time for outdoor shopping centers. It is centered around an outdoor amphitheatre and includes a number of restaurants. Some of the larger ones are: Corky's Bar-B-Q, Crazy Hibachi, Dixie Cafe, Fox and Hound, Olive Garden and TGI Fridays. The larger retail in the center are Books-A-Million, Goody's, Pier One, Stein Mart and USA Drug. The center is just west of McCain Mall.

Sounds like a very active area, for sure. She said there seemed to be a lot going on in that area of NLR.

That area and West LR are the most active retail centers in the state. Virtually all of the chains in Central Arkansas cluster around those two sites.

Now west Little Rock I am familiar with and you're right. It's truly impressive how much stuff has clustered there.

It's looking like my Hot Springs trip has changed to the weekend of May 18 but I still plan a day trip to explore Little Rock a little more than I normally would. Hopefully that will work out, and if it does, I'll try to get some good photos.

Now west Little Rock I am familiar with and you're right. It's truly impressive how much stuff has clustered there.

It's looking like my Hot Springs trip has changed to the weekend of May 18 but I still plan a day trip to explore Little Rock a little more than I normally would. Hopefully that will work out, and if it does, I'll try to get some good photos.

Try to go to Hillcrest and the Heights if you can. Those areas really have a lot of urban character.

Try to go to Hillcrest and the Heights if you can. Those areas really have a lot of urban character.

Yeah I'm still planning on going back to Little Rock sometime. But I admit I thought I would already been back down there by now. I still have a few other locations that I'm wanting to visit and take pics that I haven't had a a chance to see yet as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Twin City Bank is trying to purchase property at 200 E. Broadway for a new a customer service facility and/or other central operations for the bank. This property is located just west of Alltel Arena and north of the walkway from Main St. to the arena. The bank is saying that it will be a major office but probaby not a high-rise. This would be a good loction for some sort of mixed-use development. Picture showing walkway south of property.

dscf23756vp.jpg

Twin City Bank is trying to purchase property at 200 E. Broadway for a new a customer service facility and/or other central operations for the bank. This property is located just west of Alltel Arena and north of the walkway from Main St. to the arena. The bank is saying that it will be a major office but probaby not a high-rise. This would be a good loction for some sort of mixed-use development. Picture showing walkway south of property.

dscf23756vp.jpg

The City of North Little has started negotiations with the bank to sell property it owns on the east side of this property. The bank will now work with its' architect to determine what can be built there. Twin City is talking about building a headquarters somewhere between Alltel Arena and the new ballpark.

• 3 months later...

News on two Main Street developments from last year. Both projects received the ok from the Historic District Commission to build. This clears the way for demolition of the existing buildings. There will be major changes to the Argenta Place project. What was to be six floors will now be three. There was a problem with parking for the orginal design. It will now contain 8 to 10 residences with ground floor businesses. An expected addition is a pub to occupy the Main and Broadway corner of the building. It will feature outdoor seating. The other project is the P &R mixed-use development in the 500 block of Main. It will also be three stories and will contain 16 apartments on the upper two floors. The ground level will have a deli, the law offices of the developer, retail and another apartment. It is being built next door to the just opened Argenta branch public library. These projects are within a couple of blocks of each other.

Rendering of the P&R project:

nrlcondo5qm.jpg

News on two Main Street developments from last year. Both projects received the ok from the Historic District Commission to build. This clears the way for demolition of the existing buildings. There will be major changes to the Argenta Place project. What was to be six floors will now be three. There was a problem with parking for the orginal design. It will now contain 8 to 10 residences with ground floor businesses. An expected addition is a pub to occupy the Main and Broadway corner of the building. It will feature outdoor seating. The other project is the P &R mixed-use development in the 500 block of Main. It will also be three stories and will contain 16 apartments on the upper two floors. The ground level will have a deli, the law offices of the developer, retail and another apartment. It is being built next door to the just opened Argenta branch public library. These projects are within a couple of blocks of each other.

Rendering of the P&R project:

nrlcondo5qm.jpg

Building to be torn down for Argenta Place development. It is now a police substation.

dscf2993yq8.jpg

The building with the blue awning will be torn down for the P&R development.

dscf2997zi4.jpg

Brownfield clean up area in North Little. This is the site of the proposed Marinas North development, which will include two 9 story buildings. It is to the southwest of the new ballpark. It is located on Smarthouse Way. Monday night the NLR city council will be voting to establish the Smarthouse Way Central Business Improvement District.

Looking to the southeast across the area. Across the river to the south is The Cliffs Condominiums.

dscf2994fc2.jpg

Brownfield clean up area in North Little. This is the site of the proposed Marinas North development, which will include two 9 story buildings. It is to the southwest of the new ballpark. It is located on Smarthouse Way. Monday night the NLR city council will be voting to establish the Smarthouse Way Central Business Improvement District.

Looking to the southeast across the area. Across the river to the south is The Cliffs Condominiums.

dscf2994fc2.jpg

How is the marina going to work? Are they going to take some of the land away from the park? Is the levee going to remain intact? Will the city or developer own the marina?

If this project and the Lighthouse Pointe project across the river are completed you could really see a lot of boat traffic on the river. I think once you hit a certain critical mass you'll begin to see more boats, especially if there's a way to tie up at the River Market itself. That might even fuel more single family residential development like Canal Pointe. Lighthouse Pointe's been taking so long, though, that I've been wondering for a long time if we were ever going to see a Riverfront marina or if this was all smoke and mirrors. With so many downtown condos hitting the market soon, going after boat owners would give them a different niche. So would being right next to the ballpark in Wrigley-esque fashion. I think this development will appeal to a lot of buyers the other developments haven't.

• 1 month later...

dscf23756vp.jpg

The property at 200 E. Broadway has been purchased by John Gaudin for almost a million dollars. The deal is being financed by Twin City Bank. Gaudin owns a large amount of downtown NLR property.

• 2 weeks later...

There was a pretty good article in Ark Business this weekend about how the slow NLR projects are finally getting underway. The Shoppes at North Hills is definitely a go and Bass Pro is still onboard. Enclave at the Riverfront is well underway and should be renting apts next Summer. Hays says there are still a slew of planned projects that haven't yet been announced.

Twin City Bank has scrapped its HQs plans for downtown NLR because they need more space. They'll be looking for a better location to build a bigger building.

The Argenta Place project has apparently been modified and is going to be upgraded some. If you look at this website it looks to already be fully leased, so maybe Peroni wants to go bigger. Hays said he didn't want to "steal his thunder" but that it would be something really special. I don't know if this is the drawing from the project as it was originally designed or if this is the redesign but I found this online:

709BE4E0-168C-4691-A591-5E885B2FED29.jpg

There was a pretty good article in Ark Business this weekend about how the slow NLR projects are finally getting underway. The Shoppes at North Hills is definitely a go and Bass Pro is still onboard. Enclave at the Riverfront is well underway and should be renting apts next Summer. Hays says there are still a slew of planned projects that haven't yet been announced.

Twin City Bank has scrapped its HQs plans for downtown NLR because they need more space. They'll be looking for a better location to build a bigger building.

The Argenta Place project has apparently been modified and is going to be upgraded some. If you look at this website it looks to already be fully leased, so maybe Peroni wants to go bigger. Hays said he didn't want to "steal his thunder" but that it would be something really special. I don't know if this is the drawing from the project as it was originally designed or if this is the redesign but I found this online:

709BE4E0-168C-4691-A591-5E885B2FED29.jpg

The last I heard Argenta Place was being downsized. It will only be 3 floors. The website says it is fully leased but also says it was built in 2005. There was a problem with parking. The redelopment plan for NLR shows only a three story building on the block. Also, Sam Perroni has nothing to do with Argenta Place. Argenta Place is being developed by John Gaudin and First Security Vanadis Capital. Gaudin recently bought the building Twin City Bank was looking at. Mr. Gaudin also owns the old Rhy Furniture Store building. This space might be a possibility for a new HQ for the bank. Mr. Perroni is developing a project further North on Main near the trolley barn.

Something not mentioned before First Security is building a branch across the street from Alltel Arena. It is on the Northside of Broadway and just West of I-30. I think it is their first location in NLR.

Something not mentioned before First Security is building a branch across the street from Alltel Arena. It is on the Northside of Broadway and just West of I-30. I think it is their first location in NLR.

Actually, their first location in NLR opened on Maumelle Blvd. about a month ago.

I'm glad to see that a lot these projects are starting. I wish the owner of Argenta Drug would have let that renovation take place. It would compliment all of the other things going on in downtown NLR.