North Little Rock Development

I just talked to the general manager at Pei Wei in Little Rock. He said they have already selected a location for a NLR Pei Wei and are in negotiations. He mentioned adding another location in the Promenade at Chenal and also adding one in Rogers. Pretty exciting news! I'm a huge Pei Wei fan.

Judging by how packed the Pei Wei near UAMS/Hillcrest is, Little Rock can definitely support another Pei Wei or two... I can especially see one doing well out west, I've wondered why they didn't have one in the Promenade yet.

I just talked to the general manager at Pei Wei in Little Rock. He said they have already selected a location for a NLR Pei Wei and are in negotiations. He mentioned adding another location in the Promenade at Chenal and also adding one in Rogers. Pretty exciting news! I'm a huge Pei Wei fan.

I asked the same question about a month ago, and the manager wasn't sure. However, this confirms what I was told a few years ago by the manager at P.F. Changes...that there were 3-4 Pei Wei's planned for the Little Rock market. This is good news. Fantastic restaurant.

• 4 weeks later...

The Arkansas Democrat Gazette reports that work will soon start on the Rockwater Marina. The project has reveived a $1 million grant and construction is planned to start this spring. The total cost for the development will be $3.8 million and will be made up of 136 slips. It will be located west of Pike Avenue along the river across from the stalled Rockwater development. The owners of Rockwater say they still plan to develop the area when the economy improves.

The Arkansas Democrat Gazette reports that work will soon start on the Rockwater Marina. The project has reveived a $1 million grant and construction is planned to start this spring. The total cost for the development will be $3.8 million and will be made up of 136 slips. It will be located west of Pike Avenue along the river across from the stalled Rockwater development. The owners of Rockwater say they still plan to develop the area when the economy improves.

How could the project still be in the works since they've now built apartments on the original Rockwater Village site (unless I'm misunderstanding the exact building placement)?

How could the project still be in the works since they've now built apartments on the original Rockwater Village site (unless I'm misunderstanding the exact building placement)?

The apartments are being constructed on 13 of the orginial 40 acres. The marina is being built on land owned by the City of North Little Rock.

I'm surprised the Tea Party isn't having a fit, about the million dollar grant, to build the Rockwater Marina. A federal grant, to help a couple, of well to do individuals, with a private project seems odd, in this time of fiscal distress.

The money for the grant comes from a fund to support boating development. The fund is funded by taxes on boating and fishing equipment and fuel. Since the taxes are paid only by people engaged in fishing and boating I don't think the Tea Party would object.

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting item from the NLR board meeting this week. Property located at 800 E. Broadway has been rezoned to allow for hotel/retail use. This is a vacant parking lot at this time. It is located 2 blocks east of I-30 and 2 blocks from the President Clinton Bridge. Also, it is 3 blocks from Verizon Arena. This was passed with an emergency clause so it would take effect when it was approved. The section of Broadway have just been redone and the area is in need of redevelopment.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

The new urbanism development in the Baring Cross neighborhood will be know as Rockwater Village. It will cover 40-acres bordering Ninth Street, River Road, Pike Avenue and the Arkansas River. Plans call for 250 structures made up of street level retail that will have second and third stories for offices and apartments. The development will consist of a mix of housing styles including single family homes, townhouses, and condos. They will retain the old Vestal chimney as a focal point for the development.

Looks like this is another failed adventure for NLR. The property has signs by Moses Tucker listing it for sale. Riverside at Rockwater is now leasing and in the second picture you will notice the old Vestal smokestack, which was to be the focal point of Rockwater.

img0171jr.jpg

img0170kh.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The brand new Regal Cinemas 12 movie theatre located at McCain Mall in North Little Rock is having it's grand opening this Friday, September 21. Finally reisdents north of the river (NLR, Jacksonville, Sherwood) will have a top of the line theater choice close by.

The theater includes 12 screens, including an RPX screen (Regal Premium Experience). Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday night they are having preview screenings that benefit local charities. Read more at the In Arkansas website:

http://www.inarkansa...d-opening-event

Regal Cinemas:

http://regalcinemas.com/

• 2 weeks later...

Lakewood Village Shopping Center is adding Kirkland's to its line up of stores. It will be right next to the Jo Ann's. I'm guessing they wanted more space. These stores will be located in the old Goody's store. It looks really nice from the outside.

And now that both of the stores within the former Goody's space have opened up, there's room left over for a third tenant, on the back side of Kirkland's.

Also, rumor has it that Pearle Vision is on its way out of McCain Mall. Whether it will mean additional food court options or be otherwise developed remains to be seen.

The brand new Regal Cinemas 12 movie theatre located at McCain Mall in North Little Rock is having it's grand opening this Friday, September 21. Finally reisdents north of the river (NLR, Jacksonville, Sherwood) will have a top of the line theater choice close by.

The theater includes 12 screens, including an RPX screen (Regal Premium Experience). Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday night they are having preview screenings that benefit local charities. Read more at the In Arkansas website:

http://www.inarkansa...d-opening-event

Regal Cinemas:

http://regalcinemas.com/

I'm surprised that Regal didn't use this opportunity to change the name of the United Artists Breckenridge Theater to Regal, as well. They bought the chain several years ago and it would seem better to have everything under the same name. If you try to search for the theater, it takes you to regalcinemas.com.

• 5 months later...

Considering the old Backyard Burgers near UAMS is about to be a Slim Chickens, this has me wondering what is going on at the old North Little Rock backyard burger on McCain.  I pass it each morning on my way to work and right now all of the windows are covered inside with brown paper, and there is also a flat bed trailer and a temporary dumpster outside, causing me to wonder if they are remodeling the inside perhaps?  Has anyone heard if Slim Chickens has bought this location as well?!  It'd be awesome to have one in NLR!

Also, some building started a few weeks ago at the corner of JFK and North Hills.  It appears that will be a new Little Caesars location with a drive-thru window, etc.  Makes me wonder if they are going to close the location less than a mile up the road in Sherwood on 107?  That one is in an old shopping center and does not have a drive-thru. 

Considering the old Backyard Burgers near UAMS is about to be a Slim Chickens, this has me wondering what is going on at the old North Little Rock backyard burger on McCain.  I pass it each morning on my way to work and right now all of the windows are covered inside with brown paper, and there is also a flat bed trailer and a temporary dumpster outside, causing me to wonder if they are remodeling the inside perhaps?  Has anyone heard if Slim Chickens has bought this location as well?!  It'd be awesome to have one in NLR!

I think it would make a great location for Frostop, which has been closed since a fire in their building back in December. I stopped by one day and asked Joe Gharah (the owner of Frostop & Aladdin's Rugs) what the plans were for reopening the restaurant  He said they wanted to reopen but were looking for a place with a drive-thru. If you ask me, it can't happen soon enough... but I worry that the more time that passes, the less likely we are to see them re-open at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's what's going down with NLR:

1. Yes, a Church's Chicken is going into Backyard Burgers. Very disappointed by this news. Would've been a great spot for Frostop.

2. A sandwich chain called which-wich is going in to the old Quizno's by the pier 1.

3. Lakewood 8 is now closed and rumors have it that it will be torn down and turned into a gym. Not sure if this actually true or not.

4. The Pei Wei manager said they are planning a NLR location to open in the next year or two and that it will be near the mall, whatever that means.

5. The old car dealership next to Interstate Animal Clinic and Whole Hog is finally for sale and a sign is up that says "Great Restaurant Location." Would've been the perfect spot for a Cracker Barrel but we of course already have one. I wish they would open a Bob Evans Restaurant there.

-I have been to which wich in Dallas and it was quite tasty.  You build you own sandwich on an order sheet.  Good to know there is one in Searcy.

-I know that On The Border is sending out bid packs for a location in Sherwood which may be the spot by Whole Hog depending on where the city line falls.

-Does anyone know what construction is going on at Dillards in McCain?  There is a large crain and several work trucks.

I highly doubt on the border is moving to the old car dealership next to Whole Hog.  That location is in North Little Rock, not Sherwood.  But I do hope a legitmate restaurant moves in to that location soon.  As for the construction going on near the mall, I'm not sure what it is.  I'm not sure they are actually building anything substantial there.

Also, there is some prime time real estate where the old bowling alley used to be.  I would love to see some new shops/restaurants go in/around that area.