North Little Rock Development

Keith Jones, Executive Director of Central Arkansas Transit Authority had an interesting comment in an email he sent to the Arkansas Times. He was talking about the River Rail and made this comment: "with several more projects nearing announcement particularly in North Little Rock." He was talking about development along and near the streetcar line.

Did anyone see where the Americans for Prosperity, a watchdog group protested in LR about the $6.5 million in earmarks the River Rail project received from Congress?

Yeah. Read the Arkansas Times blog, it has a scathing rebuttal from the CAT director about that. Public transportation costs a lot of money, that's the bottom line.

Yes.

Thought they're still calling it wasteful spending.

A lot of people see mass transportation as wasteful spending, especially when it's not in a top ten metro. There are a lot of pork barrel projects that should be targeted, but this isn't pork barrel spending. In fact, no Arkansas congressmen served on the committee that appropriated the funds.

A lot of people see mass transportation as wasteful spending, especially when it's not in a top ten metro. There are a lot of pork barrel projects that should be targeted, but this isn't pork barrel spending. In fact, no Arkansas congressmen served on the committee that appropriated the funds.

"Pork barrel spending" is federal ear-marks. Congressmen get federal earmarks for projects they want. They don't spawn out of nowhere. Congressmen put them in approps bills.

"Pork barrel spending" is federal ear-marks. Congressmen get federal earmarks for projects they want. They don't spawn out of nowhere. Congressmen put them in approps bills.

I know, but who "earmarked" this? It was a federal grant, I thought, one whose funds were already earmarked and CAT applied for and was selected out of a pool of applicants. That's not generally what's meant by "pork barrel" legislation when a project like this is tagged onto, say a large highway bill, in order to appease a few select congressmen and ensure its passage. Lott used to be the king of getting MS projects tagged on.

I know, but who "earmarked" this? It was a federal grant, I thought, one whose funds were already earmarked and CAT applied for and was selected out of a pool of applicants. That's not generally what's meant by "pork barrel" legislation when a project like this is tagged onto, say a large highway bill, in order to appease a few select congressmen and ensure its passage. Lott used to be the king of getting MS projects tagged on.

Someone told me once who got the ear-mark, but I forgot who it was. Ear-marks are not competitive funds, though they may have recieved some for River Rail. Competitive funds are completely different.

As I was driving down JFK, I saw that there is a new "shopping center" being built just north of the series of fast food restaurants (Arby's, Captain D's etc.) on JFK, just before the stop light at Randolph on the west side of the road. I believe it's going to be called the Shops at Overbrook, or something similar to that. I really doubt it's going to be anything of significance, but just wondered if anyone knows anything about this?

A new restaurant is proposed for downtown NLR. It will be located at 6th and Main near the trolley barn. The property is city owned and the new owners will have 90 days for environmental inspection and 120 days to break ground after closing. They want it to have a family-type atmosphere serving burgers and steaks.

A new restaurant is proposed for downtown NLR. It will be located at 6th and Main near the trolley barn. The property is city owned and the new owners will have 90 days for environmental inspection and 120 days to break ground after closing. They want it to have a family-type atmosphere serving burgers and steaks.

It's a sport bar and grill usually found in hotels.

It's a sport bar and grill usually found in hotels.

I don't know if this project is related to the Great American Grills that are located in Hilton Garden Inns.. The promoter even says the name might change by the time it is built. Also, there is talk of townhomes being built between 4th and 6th on Maple Street. This would be on the trolley line in NLR.

I don't know if this project is related to the Great American Grills that are located in Hilton Garden Inns.. The promoter even says the name might change by the time it is built. Also, there is talk of townhomes being built between 4th and 6th on Maple Street. This would be on the trolley line in NLR.

It is the same "Great American Grill" in Hilton Garden Inns. The article I read said they usually have three themes and the Travelers, Razorbacks and probably NASCAR would be the three at this location.

I read that about the townhomes, they are to be mixed income units similar to the Argenta development.

It is the same "Great American Grill" in Hilton Garden Inns. The article I read said they usually have three themes and the Travelers, Razorbacks and probably NASCAR would be the three at this location.

I read that about the townhomes, they are to be mixed income units similar to the Argenta development.

The restaurant by the same name(?) will not be apart of the Great American Grills chain associated with Hilton Garden Inns. Also, Cregeen's Irish Pub is to open on St. Patrick's Day