North Little Rock Development

A new restaurant in downtown NLR will be named Argenta Seafood Company. I think it will be going where the old Teak Furniture Store was. Also, renderings were shown for Cregeen's Irish Pub. These anouncements were made during the opening to the public at the new ballpark for a first look. With the progress downtown NLR is making will a new hotel be in the near future?

They are now taking bids to redo the old Teak Furniture Store building. Construction is set to start in January for this projuect, Argenta Seafood Company.

• 2 weeks later...

Another new restaurant for downtown NLR? There is word that Don Vicci's will be moving to the 400 block of Main. It is a moderately priced family style Italian restaurant now located on Capitol Ave. in LR. Is downtown NLR beconing a place to be? It would be nice if they would streetscape 7th between Main and I-30. 7th could become a gateway for those coming from the North.

Add another restaurant to downtown NLR. Talks are in the works for a "Faded Rose in Argenta."

I wonder if they keep the one in Riverdale open - those locations would be close together.

I heard Bubba and Garcia's closed - is that space vacant?

Bubba & Garcia have gone south, the restaurant just never built a following. I've heard that the Faded Rose's business is off. The parking lot across the street has been a bone of contention with patrons of the other places nearby being run off. Some of these people were also patrons of the F.R. who won't be going back. I don't see the LR and future NLR locations being too close. With Main Street in NLR becoming restaurant row however I wonder where the saturation point is?

Bubba & Garcia have gone south, the restaurant just never built a following. I've heard that the Faded Rose's business is off. The parking lot across the street has been a bone of contention with patrons of the other places nearby being run off. Some of these people were also patrons of the F.R. who won't be going back. I don't see the LR and future NLR locations being too close. With Main Street in NLR becoming restaurant row however I wonder where the saturation point is?

When does parking on Main St become an issue? It's certainly not there yet but if things keep going this way it will have to be addressed.

Is it possible that some type of parking structure(s) would be built and shared between Main St., Alltel, and Dickey Stephens Park?

The Argenta master plan shows a parking deck South of Alltel Arena near the Enclave and the River.

I think you make a good point, a more central location could make it within a couple of blocks of the arena, Main St, and Dickey-Stephens Park. That would keep it pretty well occupied all of the time.

• 3 weeks later...

Although conversation has been heavy on Argenta here, does anyone have any idea what sort of retail space is being constructed at JFK & D? Obviously, it's another strip center, but there doesn't seem to be that much square footage to be effective. Of course, anything beats a vacant building -- which was what was there before.

As much as I love Faded Rose for its fantastic food quality, Ed's Bubba and Garcia's suffered from bad food (and concept?). Pure and simple. I'm easy to please, and work in Riverdale, but I was done after my third attempt.

There will be a public hearing Dec. 28th to establish a TIF district for the Baring Cross area. This is the spot where a planned community development is being talked about. It is West of Pike on River Road.

A bit more on the planned community for Baring Cross. It will be a mixed use development that will include 200 or more residences.

A bit more on the planned community for Baring Cross. It will be a mixed use development that will include 200 or more residences.

Patrick Henry Hays is also proposing TIFs for that development and for the Shoppes at North Hills, both mostly for road improvements. North Hills will need an access road and the TIF would help pay for that.

Patrick Henry Hays is also proposing TIFs for that development and for the Shoppes at North Hills, both mostly for road improvements. North Hills will need an access road and the TIF would help pay for that.

I hope he knows that school district money isn't included in TIF's. That's what happened to the one up in Rogers along the Interstate, which cut the amount of funding available by half.

I hope he knows that school district money isn't included in TIF's. That's what happened to the one up in Rogers along the Interstate, which cut the amount of funding available by half.

I don't know what you're getting at but you can't really have a TIF without taking the money from the school district, otherwise you won't generate any money by having one since 90% of your property taxes in AR go to the schools. In this case it will take money from the schools.

I don't know what you're getting at but you can't really have a TIF without taking the money from the school district, otherwise you won't generate any money by having one since 90% of your property taxes in AR go to the schools. In this case it will take money from the schools.

That's the point. Mike Beebe ruled against it when Rogers wanted to create a TIF for the I-540 corridor. Now, now no money can be taken from the school districts. Rogers's TIF went from about $50 Million in Revenue to about $21 Million.

At least from the standpoint of this article it sounds like the TIFs might hurt the NLRSD some...

School district shrugs at plan for TIF

The Argenta Community Development Corporation is pushing strongly to expand the Argenta Historic District to include virtually all of downtown NLR and thus far this is meeting little resistance. When the historic district was initially formed it was limited by a number of "noncontributing structures" that forced the Historic District to be divided into two sections and limited its growth. Extensive renovation and removal of siding or facades has made uniting the district and enlarging its boundaries further possible.

• 3 weeks later...

Mountaire has sold their Prime Quality feed line and their feed mill in downtown North Little Rock will be shut down sometime this year. The mill is located 2 blocks North of Alltel Arena and the company is one of the larger property owners in the Argenta area. This will be a prime location for redevelopment. The Arkansas Times blog notes that a major announcement next week for the redevelopment.

Mountaire has sold their Prime Quality feed line and their feed mill in downtown North Little Rock will be shut down sometime this year. The mill is located 2 blocks North of Alltel Arena and the company is one of the larger property owners in the Argenta area. This will be a prime location for redevelopment. The Arkansas Times blog notes that a major announcement next week for the redevelopment.

The Ark Times blog's blurb on this is brief and ambiguous but I hope something major is planned. The feed mill long antagonized the urbanization in the area (and more frankly was an eyesore). I hope rather than trying to convert it (a la the Mill District in Fayetteville) they just demolish it and turn it into something the fits its surroundings better.

The Ark Times blog's blurb on this is brief and ambiguous but I hope something major is planned. The feed mill long antagonized the urbanization in the area (and more frankly was an eyesore). I hope rather than trying to convert it (a la the Mill District in Fayetteville) they just demolish it and turn it into something the fits its surroundings better.

I would hate to see the mill remain. If it is gone then the railroad tracks will no longer be needed. The tracks divide the area East of Main St. between the mill and North of 7th. With these gone there is a lot of space that could be developed. At this time there are no East/West cross streets between Main and Magnolia from 4th to 9th except for 7th. This is a 10 block area divided by railroad tracks.

The mill from just South of Broadway.

dscf0023zx7.jpg

Edited by skirby

I would hate to see the mill remain. If it is gone then the railroad tracks will no longer be needed. The tracks divide the area East of Main St. between the mill and North of 7th. With these gone there is a lot of space that could be developed. At this time there are no East/West cross streets between Main and Magnolia from 4th to 9th except for 7th. This is a 10 block area divided by railroad tracks.

The mill from just South of Broadway.

dscf0023zx7.jpg

I don't know... that site is awefully pretty! :sick:

• 3 weeks later...

does anyone else think that Alltel Arena is not aging well? The roof is deteriorating and even the brick looks terrible. Its a shame they could not have spent a little more money on it originally. Even the inside is beginning to look outdated. Does anyone know if their are plans to improve/renovate? In 5 years I see there being major problems and us losing events if nothing is done.