North Little Rock Development

I've driven through North Little Rock downtown a few times over the past 2 weeks, and I have to say I'm pretty unimpressed. I really had never explored the area until recently. There are completely suburban developments with big lawns along the river (like Bank of America or that random furniture store). Main street is dead; there are boarded up buildings along the River Rail. Granted, I wasn't familiar with the scene 5 years ago, so this may be an improvement.

No one was walking "downtown" the times I passed. The trolleys were desolate as well.

I don't really see North Little Rock developing as an urban center like Little Rock (with skycrapers and the like), but I can see it developing into a place like the Loop in St. Louis-- or Dickson street in Fay.

After visiting, I'm beginning to think that maybe it's a good thing that the two cities (LR and NLR) are separate. If they were one, then time would be focused on revitalizing an already present urban environment in Little Rock rather than wasting time on an essentially nonexistent one in North Little Rock. As two separate cities, they can separately focus on their downtowns.

As you say "I wasn't familiar with the scene 5 years ago, so this may be an improvement." and I'll agree. If you had been familiar with Main Street NLR and surrounding areas you would recognize substantial improvement. New restaurants, new art venues, a new project underway at Broadway & Main and the probable redevelopment of the Cameron Feed Mill property.

I don't think anybody would disagree with your thought about "skyscrapers and the like".

As you say "I wasn't familiar with the scene 5 years ago, so this may be an improvement." and I'll agree. If you had been familiar with Main Street NLR and surrounding areas you would recognize substantial improvement. New restaurants, new art venues, a new project underway at Broadway & Main and the probable redevelopment of the Cameron Feed Mill property.

I don't think anybody would disagree with your thought about "skyscrapers and the like".

Downtown NLR is a decade behind the River Market area but is probably better equipped to move forward now and has better leadership. I guess you have to know what was there a decade ago to understand, EVERYTHING was in disrepair. Not East St Louis bad, but bad. Until the arena was built there wasn't much there worth looking at and Main St was boarded up. There is a tremendous slate of projects underway or planned at the current time. The main thing NLR has going for it is vacant land, something downtown LR lacks. Because of that I wouldn't be surprised to see NLR get the bulk of the new downtown development over the next 5 years aside from the Moses Tucker projects.

Argenta has a very favorable development environment and most importantly a community corporation able to renovate and build independently. I've wished for a long time the Quapaw Quarter association could do that.

• 2 weeks later...

The city of NLR is talking to developers about city owned property located between the Trolley Barn and Main St. This is the place where the Great American Grill was to be located but that project did not work out. The talks now center around a three story commercial and retail building to be built there. This property is across Main from the under construction Argenta Seafood Company.

• 2 weeks later...

A new billboard on I-30 is advertising a Bennigan's that will be coming to JFK and Pershing in NLR. I guess this is a good spot in proximity to I-40, but it's pretty isolated as far as other restaurants, retail, etc. to compliment it. I wish they would've choosen a location in downtown NLR, but I am glad to see Bennigan's re-opening in the area.

A new billboard on I-30 is advertising a Bennigan's that will be coming to JFK and Pershing in NLR. I guess this is a good spot in proximity to I-40, but it's pretty isolated as far as other restaurants, retail, etc. to compliment it. I wish they would've choosen a location in downtown NLR, but I am glad to see Bennigan's re-opening in the area.

Isn't a new Best Western also slated for that intersection?

That's actually very encouraging. That area has seen a lot of blight over the years (remember the old Food King grocery?). It would be nice to see improvement in the area north of downtown NLR and South of I-30, a lot of the housing has deteriorated.

The area west of that on Pershing is marginal. The old Pike Lanes shopping center really looks awfully deteriorated. I went to watch the fireworks at Fort Roots on Memorial Day and it just looks worse and worse every time I see.

Work continues on Argenta Place.

p1010113la9.jpg

The end product remains to be evalutated, but what nice urban siting - reinforcing the street edge and creating great urban infill. This really changes the feel of this block in downtown NLR as I've driven and walked by. Let's hope we see more of this type of development. NLR has been doing a great job promoting this type of work.

The end product remains to be evalutated, but what nice urban siting - reinforcing the street edge and creating great urban infill. This really changes the feel of this block in downtown NLR as I've driven and walked by. Let's hope we see more of this type of development. NLR has been doing a great job promoting this type of work.

I agree.

Also, NLR has decided to entirely brick the trolley barn when it's expanded to make it better fit the area.

• 2 weeks later...

Twin City Bank has announced that it will be moving its branch from a trailer at Main and Seventh to a building on Broadway across from Alltel Arena. The city of NLR owns the property where the trailer is located. The city is holding talks with a developer at this time for the property at Main and Seventh. About the only thing mentioned so far about the development is that it will be mixed use and include residences. The property is on the west side of the trolley barn.

Twin City Bank has announced that it will be moving its branch from a trailer at Main and Seventh to a building on Broadway across from Alltel Arena. The city of NLR owns the property where the trailer is located. The city is holding talks with a developer at this time for the property at Main and Seventh. About the only thing mentioned so far about the development is that it will be mixed use and include residences. The property is on the west side of the trolley barn.

Sounds promising. The interesting thing about the NLR loop is that it is the only area along the River Rail where there are relatively "open" areas along the route that are conducive to new development. I guess we'll continue to see the line becoming a precipitator/catalyst for more dense development.

• 1 month later...

Bennigan's is set to open Monday the 17th.

Argenta News reports today that a new building is in the planning stages for the east side of Main between 6th and 7th. The building will be three floors. Twin City Bank will take up the three floors at the corner of Main and 7th. The rest of the building will contain 15 condos with retail and restaurant space at street level.

mechanicsbldgargentakn1.jpg

Edited by skirby

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, the construction on this project is much further along than I expected it would be. Thanks, skirby, for the great photo updates on all the NLR projects.

Cregeen's is set to open next month. Work is finishing up on the inside. The building looks like it is two buildings instead of one. This pic shows the brick part and the lighter part on the Northside.

p1010285ta8.jpg

Edited by skirby

Since there doesn't seem to be a McCain Mall thread (and I don't think this bit justifies it), I'll post this here....

Was anyone aware that the GAP at McCain Mall has closed? I found this out today while visiting the GAP at Pinnacle Promenade in Rogers - ordering an item for pickup in Little Rock I asked which store, and they said "There is only one...the McCain location closed."

I find this very odd. 700,000 MSA and ONE Gap store? This either shows further incompetence by Simon to update and/or ensure relevance of the metro's largest mall, or complete bewilderment on GAP's part. I cannot fathom why GAP wouldn't feel that a store on the north shore wouldn't be profitable serving what must be 250,000 people in that area...

I will add however that this person did mention (not officially) a new location at Chenal Promenade. Still, GAP stores are normally a dime a dozen and this market could support three. NWA already has three locations, two in Rogers alone!

Since there doesn't seem to be a McCain Mall thread (and I don't think this bit justifies it), I'll post this here....

Was anyone aware that the GAP at McCain Mall has closed? I found this out today while visiting the GAP at Pinnacle Promenade in Rogers - ordering an item for pickup in Little Rock I asked which store, and they said "There is only one...the McCain location closed."

I find this very odd. 700,000 MSA and ONE Gap store? This either shows further incompetence by Simon to update and/or ensure relevance of the metro's largest mall, or complete bewilderment on GAP's part. I cannot fathom why GAP wouldn't feel that a store on the north shore wouldn't be profitable serving what must be 250,000 people in that area...

I will add however that this person did mention (not officially) a new location at Chenal Promenade. Still, GAP stores are normally a dime a dozen and this market could support three. NWA already has three locations, two in Rogers alone!

I think McCain Mall is at a crossroads and it might be headed in the wrong direction. Even though Penny's is redoing their interior, Victoria's Secret has moved to a larger location and American Eagle has opened the bottom floor is becoming more low rent. Luby's has cut back their operations to 5 days a week. MM Cohn is now closed. I wonder what will be done with that space?

The sales tax ends this weekend in NLR for the ballpark. It was reported that collections were down this year and less than expected. McCain is becoming less of a draw by not being updated. Will it become the next University Mall?

I think McCain Mall is at a crossroads and it might be headed in the wrong direction. Even though Penny's is redoing their interior, Victoria's Secret has moved to a larger location and American Eagle has opened the bottom floor is becoming more low rent. Luby's has cut back their operations to 5 days a week. MM Cohn is now closed. I wonder what will be done with that space?

The sales tax ends this weekend in NLR for the ballpark. It was reported that collections were down this year and less than expected. McCain is becoming less of a draw by not being updated. Will it become the next University Mall?

Its almost incomprehensible why Simon wouldn't invest $15M or so in a renovation much like Park Plaza has just completed. Its certainly not in a declining part of town and is in an arguably more visible and viable location than Park Plaza. It would ensure McCain Mall's relevance to the north shore market and stabilize it against any future competition. Strange....its really looking dated.