North Little Rock Development

I wonder if the Shoppes at North Hills Development is going to take shape and McCain Mall will just decline. I think someone needs to come in and add an outdoor component to McCain Mall and someone can build a parking deck to accomodate the rest of the mall. North Little Rock could support the Shoppes development and McCain Mall. The area is still growing north, especially in Sherwood, Jacksonville, and Cabot. I would love to see MMCohn replaced with Macys. That would really be a great location to have one too. I could also see Belk coming in and replacing the MMCohn store. Either way, Simon should indeed do something to revive that mall in North Little Rock. I grew up in NLR and McCain mall used to be such a nice mall and now on a Friday night you may see thugs walking around and I know many older ladies who have been robbed in the parking lot. By adding nicer, upscale stores, it could attract a better crowd to the mall and hopefully try and make the mall atmosphere safer. Many NLR people shop in Little Rock b/c there are not places they care to go to in NLR. It is time to add more on the north part of town for sure.

I wonder if the Shoppes at North Hills Development is going to take shape and McCain Mall will just decline. I think someone needs to come in and add an outdoor component to McCain Mall and someone can build a parking deck to accomodate the rest of the mall. North Little Rock could support the Shoppes development and McCain Mall. The area is still growing north, especially in Sherwood, Jacksonville, and Cabot. I would love to see MMCohn replaced with Macys. That would really be a great location to have one too. I could also see Belk coming in and replacing the MMCohn store. Either way, Simon should indeed do something to revive that mall in North Little Rock. I grew up in NLR and McCain mall used to be such a nice mall and now on a Friday night you may see thugs walking around and I know many older ladies who have been robbed in the parking lot. By adding nicer, upscale stores, it could attract a better crowd to the mall and hopefully try and make the mall atmosphere safer. Many NLR people shop in Little Rock b/c there are not places they care to go to in NLR. It is time to add more on the north part of town for sure.

RemusCal - I think you make a lot of good observations and have some valid suggestions. One in particular I'd like to elaborate on: a significant renovation/upgrade - even attention of ANY sort from Simon - would reverse the demographic and the "crowd" you mention on certain evenings that give an air of uncertainty. I hope most everyone realizes that the solution is not to abandon or neglect a viable development in search of "greener pastures" - that just exacerbates the problem. Often, it IS the problem; particularly for McCain Mall, which for all practical purposes is in a nice, stable, high-traffic part of NLR.

I agree with most that McCain needs a remodel, but just with University Mall Simon seems to have no interest in McCain either. I guess they are still upset that Summit Mall was not welcomed by many in Little Rock. I hope for McCain's sake that someone comes and takes it off of Simon's hands because I don't see them investing in McCain Mall even with the possibility of the Shoppes at North Hills. The best thing that could have happen to University Mall was for Strode to come in and buy it. They are invested in the area with Midtowne and seem to be planning a compliment with Park Avenue. I wouldn't be suprised if Simon tries to get out of its lease with McCain and leave the market all together.

I agree with most that McCain needs a remodel, but just with University Mall Simon seems to have no interest in McCain either. I guess they are still upset that Summit Mall was not welcomed by many in Little Rock. I hope for McCain's sake that someone comes and takes it off of Simon's hands because I don't see them investing in McCain Mall even with the possibility of the Shoppes at North Hills. The best thing that could have happen to University Mall was for Strode to come in and buy it. They are invested in the area with Midtowne and seem to be planning a compliment with Park Avenue. I wouldn't be suprised if Simon tries to get out of its lease with McCain and leave the market all together.

This is just what Simon does. They almost never reinvest in their developments, unlike the owners of Park Plaza and NWA Mall. I saw a couple of Dallas area malls in nicer parts of town go downhill for no good reason because Simon wouldn't spend a nickel on them.

I doubt Simon sells McCain, I bet it will just take some competition to get them to redo McCain. The redesigned Shoppes at North Hills might provide some competition for stores, we'll have to see.

Then again, Simon just folded rather than trying to compete with Park Plaza.

Cregeen's is set to open next month. Work is finishing up on the inside. The building looks like it is two buildings instead of one. This pic shows the brick part and the lighter part on the Northside.

p1010285ta8.jpg

Cregeen's is open as of today. Down the street Argenta Seafood will be soon to follow with their opening.

Since there doesn't seem to be a McCain Mall thread (and I don't think this bit justifies it), I'll post this here....

Was anyone aware that the GAP at McCain Mall has closed? I found this out today while visiting the GAP at Pinnacle Promenade in Rogers - ordering an item for pickup in Little Rock I asked which store, and they said "There is only one...the McCain location closed."

I find this very odd. 700,000 MSA and ONE Gap store? This either shows further incompetence by Simon to update and/or ensure relevance of the metro's largest mall, or complete bewilderment on GAP's part. I cannot fathom why GAP wouldn't feel that a store on the north shore wouldn't be profitable serving what must be 250,000 people in that area...

I will add however that this person did mention (not officially) a new location at Chenal Promenade. Still, GAP stores are normally a dime a dozen and this market could support three. NWA already has three locations, two in Rogers alone!

I guess I'm responding to myself! Anyway...I was at the GAP and Banana Republic in Park Plaza this evening and asked employees at both what happened to GAP at McCain. The GAP employee said it was simply a loss of traffic/sales combined with increasing store theft. The Banana Republic employee noted that 4 years ago, it was a very busy, popular store, but that sales had declined as some other key tenants had left the mall and the demographic changed.

Here's my take...the demographic is changing b/c Simon is ignoring this development...it hasn't been renovated in years so its essentially (and now literally) in decline, and for no good reason. It is in a very stable and busy part of the metro. It just boggles the mind.

• 1 month later...

I guess I'm responding to myself! Anyway...I was at the GAP and Banana Republic in Park Plaza this evening and asked employees at both what happened to GAP at McCain. The GAP employee said it was simply a loss of traffic/sales combined with increasing store theft. The Banana Republic employee noted that 4 years ago, it was a very busy, popular store, but that sales had declined as some other key tenants had left the mall and the demographic changed.

Here's my take...the demographic is changing b/c Simon is ignoring this development...it hasn't been renovated in years so its essentially (and now literally) in decline, and for no good reason. It is in a very stable and busy part of the metro. It just boggles the mind.

Just me two cents - don't be surprised to see them pop up elsewhere in NLR soon (Shoppes at North Hills?)

Argenta Seafood Company is about ready to open.

p1020002ad4.jpg

Work continues on Argenta Place.

p1020009rj6.jpg

Cregeen's is open in Argenta Place.

p1020015fr3.jpg

p1020025dr8.jpg

With the pending redevelopment of the feed mill property just east of Main St. starting next year watch for NRL's downtown to see other development to take place. The parking lot with the police cars is set to become a three story mixed-use project very soon.

p1010998gz9.jpg

I'm not overly impressed... I guess once the gaps between the stores fill in with more stores, main street will be a pretty lively place. I don't really get a sense of density or pedestrian traffic.

The sidewalks are too narrow too, but that's a problem in downtown Little Rock as well.

One step at a time...

Edited by johnnydr87

Last Monday night the city council endorsed the plans for a Motor Coach and Entertainment Park to be located between I-30 and the Rock Island Bridge. This could be open within a short period of time. The North Little Rock Times reports that 1,402 recreational vehicles could be parked in the area.

Last Monday night the city council endorsed the plans for a Motor Coach and Entertainment Park to be located between I-30 and the Rock Island Bridge. This could be open within a short period of time. The North Little Rock Times reports that 1,402 recreational vehicles could be parked in the area.

Ugh. Motor coach? Like RV?? I'm not too keen on that idea in an area like downtown Little Rock. I suppose that area East of I-30 is underutilized...but still, it's proximity to the epicenter of Little Rock means it should be aiming for something grander.

Motor Coach and Entertainment Park. What the hell does that mean? I was under the impression that a Motor Coach park amounts to a parking lot for RVs. Would it have been too obvious that it's a parking lot for RVs if they hadn't added "entertainment" to the name?

Edited by johnnydr87

Ugh. Motor coach? Like RV?? I'm not too keen on that idea in an area like downtown Little Rock. I suppose that area East of I-30 is underutilized...but still, it's proximity to the epicenter of Little Rock means it should be aiming for something grander.

Motor Coach and Entertainment Park. What the hell does that mean? I was under the impression that a Motor Coach park amounts to a parking lot for RVs. Would it have been too obvious that it's a parking lot for RVs if they hadn't added "entertainment" to the name?

It will be a parking lot for RVs as well as a place for concerts. NLR has already stated that it intended to use the area for some of the concerts now in Riverfront Park. At first I was like you and didn't think much about it but it will draw visitors into the downtown area. Second, it can be built with a small investment and I'm sure the city will still allow the property to be available for the right future development. If one hundred RVs use the area a night then that means probably twice that many people looking for someplace to eat or spend their money.

• 1 month later...

One thing I have noticed is that NLR has been a huge population loser this decade. What exactly is the root cause of this? Is it the schools? With the new developments, is this trend expected to be reversed anytime soon?

There was no new residential development in NLR in quite some time. New commercial developments occurred but because NLR had no vacant land Sherwood and Maumelle grew while NLR slightly lost population as all inner cities do as unsafe areas are abandoned or residential is converted to commercial.

There is some new development along I-440, especially in the recently annexed area near Scott. That should help get the population back over 60,000. I don't expect big growth, though, because there's nowhere for it to occur.

There was no new residential development in NLR in quite some time. New commercial developments occurred but because NLR had no vacant land Sherwood and Maumelle grew while NLR slightly lost population as all inner cities do as unsafe areas are abandoned or residential is converted to commercial.

There is some new development along I-440, especially in the recently annexed area near Scott. That should help get the population back over 60,000. I don't expect big growth, though, because there's nowhere for it to occur.

There is also some multifamily developments going on near Maumelle in the Maumelle Blvd. corridor. But as Apork said, I don't see a large population boom for NLR because it is hemmed in by the Arkansas River to the south, Sherwood to the north and Maumelle to the west. The areas near Maumelle and Scott aren't large enough for huge population growth.

The end is near.

Yes, and the question is "why?"....

Why would Simon sit by and let this thing die a slow, miserable death. Its in a GREAT location. Its not like its one of those typical developments in a dying part of town. And, its not like greater LR cannot support 2-3 locations in the market.

Why not invest $15-20M in a complete overhaul (like Park Plaza) to ensure its relevance?

Yes, and the question is "why?"....

Why would Simon sit by and let this thing die a slow, miserable death. Its in a GREAT location. Its not like its one of those typical developments in a dying part of town. And, its not like greater LR cannot support 2-3 locations in the market.

Why not invest $15-20M in a complete overhaul (like Park Plaza) to ensure its relevance?

Because as Aporkalypse said, Simon lets their aging malls die and then rebuilds in a new location. The only hope for McCain is if another developer buys them out, which according to Aporkalypse is a possibility. McCain has excellent potential and you couldn't ask for a better location. The one thing McCain has going for it is it has several stores that are nowhere else in the metro. That should keep it above the water for the time being. However, if the Shoppes at North Hills get built before McCain gets bought out or renovated, the mall might be looking at tough times ahead.

Because as Aporkalypse said, Simon lets their aging malls die and then rebuilds in a new location. The only hope for McCain is if another developer buys them out, which according to Aporkalypse is a possibility. McCain has excellent potential and you couldn't ask for a better location. The one thing McCain has going for it is it has several stores that are nowhere else in the metro. That should keep it above the water for the time being. However, if the Shoppes at North Hills get built before McCain gets bought out or renovated, the mall might be looking at tough times ahead.

I can understand that tactic if the current location is problematic (like a declining part of town, or in Unviversity Mall's case, defeat from direct competition across the street), but McCain is not. I'm afraid they're letting it die and have no plans to reinvest in the market.

To be honest, we really cant afford to lose it. Park Plaza, While VERY nice, is too small as it is. SC was a flop, The Pleasant Ridge is nice local( and by that i mean west little rock) center. The Chenal Center is too small and just another Park Plaza. So where does that leave us. LR doesn