North Little Rock Development

From reading the Argenta blog, it doesn't sound like the neighborhood is fond of this development. From looking at the renderings myself, it doesn't look like it would exactly compliment the historic district. I believe the majority of the building's exterior as planned is going to be dryvit.

Is there a link to an online copy of the renderings? The blog didn't have one (that I could find).

Here is the link .

I don't see why the scale would be an issue. What's wrong with a 4 story building on Main Street?

The design looks okay, but I would concur that an all "Dryvit" finish is pretty weak - especially since there is relatively little cost difference. Hard to say - depends upon how its executed. The state of these drawings doesn't lend confidence that it will be developed with care, since they aren't presented in a proper presentation format.

I saw this at ArkansasBusiness.Com...

The $12.3 million Enclave at the Riverfront apartment project is about two months away from completion.

So what's the latest on leasing activity for the 260-unit development across from Alltel Arena?

We understand residents have signed up to rent about 65 units (25 percent).

Not a bad showing for the adventuresome upscale project, the largest multifamily development in downtown North Little Rock.

You might recall that Bomasada Group Inc. of Houston is the owner/developer of the Enclave, which replaced the vacant Jackson Cookie factory.

I don't see why the scale would be an issue. What's wrong with a 4 story building on Main Street?

The design looks okay, but I would concur that an all "Dryvit" finish is pretty weak - especially since there is relatively little cost difference. Hard to say - depends upon how its executed. The state of these drawings doesn't lend confidence that it will be developed with care, since they aren't presented in a proper presentation format.

The article in yesterday's ArkDemGaz suggested that nobody in the neighborhood is happy about this project and that they are trying to stop it's construction.

The article in yesterday's ArkDemGaz suggested that nobody in the neighborhood is happy about this project and that they are trying to stop it's construction.

The architects of this project have their offices in one of the buildings that will make up this project. As far as I can tell the project will only be between 15 and 18 feet taller that the buildings in front. The taller part of Argenta Place, just one block south, has a stairwell tower that is at least 10 feet taller than the three story building it is on. So, this building will probably be no taller than 8 feet above an existing structure now on Main Street. Remember, it will be back from Main by at least sixty-six feet.

The architects of this project have their offices in one of the buildings that will make up this project. As far as I can tell the project will only be between 15 and 18 feet taller that the buildings in front. The taller part of Argenta Place, just one block south, has a stairwell tower that is at least 10 feet taller than the three story building it is on. So, this building will probably be no taller than 8 feet above an existing structure now on Main Street. Remember, it will be back from Main by at least sixty-six feet.

I concur. And I'll repeat my earlier statement: since WHEN on God's green earth is a 4-story building out of scale on ANY Main Street? If its poorly designed, so be it. But it isn't out of scale.

I concur. And I'll repeat my earlier statement: since WHEN on God's green earth is a 4-story building out of scale on ANY Main Street? If its poorly designed, so be it. But it isn't out of scale.

I'd have to go back and read the article again, but I didn't think it was the scale they were concerned about but rather the look...but maybe I was reading too much into it.

Looks like work will begin soon on a 32,000 square foot three story mixed-use building located just north of the branch library on Main St. A police substation in now located there but the police should be moved in early May. A plumbing permit has been issued for the site. The build will contain 16 condos along with office and commercial space.

• 2 weeks later...

More plans have been released for the Mill District. The AD-G reports today that a 5 to 10 year plan is being developed for a mixed-use urban village for the 5 acre space. The goal is to include "residences for roughly 1,500 to 2,500 people."

Also, it looks like the owners of the Faded Rose are going to open up a restaurant across Main from the Argenta Seafood Company. They have reached an agreement to purchase property from the city.

More plans have been released for the Mill District. The AD-G reports today that a 5 to 10 year plan is being developed for a mixed-use urban village for the 5 acre space. The goal is to include "residences for roughly 1,500 to 2,500 people."

Also, it looks like the owners of the Faded Rose are going to open up a restaurant across Main from the Argenta Seafood Company. They have reached an agreement to purchase property from the city.

Thumbs up for both of these developments!

• 2 weeks later...

Plans are in the works for a development in the 400 block of Main. The developers want to build a five story addition to the back of two buildings

now there. The first floor would be for parking and the the other four would be for condos.

Looks like this project is now dead.

Work continues on the City Grove Townhomes.

p1020585gn6.jpg

This should be nice along the streetcar line. This is one big advantage to NLR's streetcare route....one portion of the loop circles through a less urban, underdeveloped area that is ripe for high density residential. LR's route is strictly through the central business district - nothing that could be helped just due to the scale of LR's downtown. Now, once it turns down Main....

I could be wrong but isn't there a train complex not far from the proposed Rockwater Village. What is with these people and trying to sell upscale things to people that want to escape the stuff that surrounds this.

Im sure the NLR board will be more than happy to approve this. They would approve anything that comes their way.

And by the way, what's up with that hotel tower in Downtown NLR. I don't remember what the hotel is called, but I haven't seen any news about it. Also, there were some designs in that Argenta website that included some high rise buildings. i would be interested in more info about that.

The proposed hotel tower would be attached to the Wyndham Riverfront hotel at the north end of the Broadway bridge, but I also haven't heard or read anything of late regarding that development. It would be a nice boost for the area, but how quickly it can happen remains to be seen.

My impression of Rockwater Village

Pike Ave. Bridge? Where have i been? That would be so nice. LR hasnt seen a new car bridge in i dont know how many years.

That would have been the mid-town freeway that was on the MP for so long, but was abandoned about 10 years ago or so. It was to link I-630 and I-40, and would have crossed between the state Capitol building and Dillard's HQ and linked in with I-40 near the Levy exit.

That would have been the mid-town freeway that was on the MP for so long, but was abandoned about 10 years ago or so. It was to link I-630 and I-40, and would have crossed between the state Capitol building and Dillard's HQ and linked in with I-40 near the Levy exit.

Not sure Little Rock needs another freeway. We already have far more than most cities our size. Its a good thing that didn't happen.

Edited by bchris02

Not sure Little Rock needs another freeway. We already have far more than most cities our size. Its a good thing that didn't happen.

Its route was to generally follow the railroads from the state capitol, across the river and through the MOPAC area, so it wouldn't have been the typical neighborhood wrecker/divider that so many are. I sort of hate that it didn't go in, not b/c we need another freeway, but primarily b/c we need another place to cross the river besides I-430 and downtown.

Its route was to generally follow the railroads from the state capitol, across the river and through the MOPAC area, so it wouldn't have been the typical neighborhood wrecker/divider that so many are. I sort of hate that it didn't go in, not b/c we need another freeway, but primarily b/c we need another place to cross the river besides I-430 and downtown.

Thats why i would have wanted it. My friend lives in the heights, but goes to her moms house in Levy. So its either 430, 30 or broadway. I often though, what would have happened had they extended university across the river.

Anyways, i dont think we need another freeway, but another bridge would be appricated. a 4 lane brdige would help traffic alot.

Looks like the scope of the Mill District might be expanding. At least 13 properties have been purchased in addition to the feed mill property. The additional properties expand the area north to the 900 block and east to the I-30 frontage road. If this project succeeds it will change this part of NLR into a livable urban area.