North Little Rock Development

I visited the Central Arkansas Farmer's Market (CAFM) this morning at 4th and Main for my second time. I was on a mission for Arkansas strawberries. It was successful. I'm supportive of the effort.

Still, I am disappointed that the CAFM is the result of a fractured Little Rock Farmer's Market.

Brownfield clean up area in North Little. This is the site of the proposed Marinas North development, which will include two 9 story buildings. It is to the southwest of the new ballpark. It is located on Smarthouse Way. Monday night the NLR city council will be voting to establish the Smarthouse Way Central Business Improvement District.

Looking to the southeast across the area. Across the river to the south is The Cliffs Condominiums.

dscf2994fc2.jpg

New news for this property. The Marinas North development never did come about and the reason was the delay in the brownfield cleanup. Finally, the cleanup is about to begin. The cleanup will take up about four weeks to complete and then the property will be available. Main Street Argenta owns the property and say that three developers are still interested in the property. They are an affiliate of Lincoln Properties of Dallas, the Bryan Company of Jackson, Miss. and the Bomasada Group, developers of the Enclave in NLR.

Two more items from the northside. There is talk about a property swap between the city and the Mill District developers. Recently purchased properties on the north side of the district are the center of trade talks with the city. The City Service Building on Main would be traded for this property. So far this is just speculation but you never know.

The old Rye Wholesale building at Broadway and Maple is being promoted as a multipurpose building or a convention center. It would be able to host gatherings up to 1,500. The building would also be the home of Pulaski Technical College's culinary school. Being next door to the Wyndham would certainly improve the chances of it's purposed tower being built.

Two more items from the northside. There is talk about a property swap between the city and the Mill District developers. Recently purchased properties on the north side of the district are the center of trade talks with the city. The City Service Building on Main would be traded for this property. So far this is just speculation but you never know.

The old Rye Wholesale building at Broadway and Maple is being promoted as a multipurpose building or a convention center. It would be able to host gatherings up to 1,500. The building would also be the home of Pulaski Technical College's culinary school. Being next door to the Wyndham would certainly improve the chances of it's purposed tower being built.

Thats great news. I would love to see NLR getting more of a skyline going and I support anything to help that effort along. Does anybody think the W Hotel may be possible for NLR since LR doesn't want it?

New news for this property. The Marinas North development never did come about and the reason was the delay in the brownfield cleanup. Finally, the cleanup is about to begin. The cleanup will take up about four weeks to complete and then the property will be available. Main Street Argenta owns the property and say that three developers are still interested in the property. They are an affiliate of Lincoln Properties of Dallas, the Bryan Company of Jackson, Miss. and the Bomasada Group, developers of the Enclave in NLR.

Cleanup has begun. They were moving dirt yesterday.

• 2 weeks later...

From today's Democrat-Gazette, there's news of a $1 million grant coming to Pulaski Technical College from the U.S. Department of Commerce's Economic Development Administration. The money will be used to continue expansion of PTC's aviation training facilities near the North Little Rock Municipal Airport. Part of the reasoning for the brisk performance of the training program, according to Mayor Patrick Henry Hays, is Arkansas' rank as 11th nationally in aerospace exports, and more than 10,000 Arkansans working in the industry.

Dickson Theaters, who developed the Chenal 9 & IMAX, will take over the Lakewood 8 on June 27th. In the fall a major remodel, including stadium seating and digital projectors, will take place. This according to the Democrat Gazette.

This is from the Dickinson Theatres website:

Dickinson Theatres to take over the Lakewood 8 Theatre on June 27th, 2008

Monday, June 16, 2008

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am new to this forum. The pics are great and am interested in what's happening north of the River in Argenta. It seems there is the potential for quality growth and development there and many great opportunities for creating a an impressive urban core over the next 5-10-or 20 years. Does anyone know whether there is any move afoot to do any type of planning to guide growth in the right direction?

I am new to this forum. The pics are great and am interested in what's happening north of the River in Argenta. It seems there is the potential for quality growth and development there and many great opportunities for creating a an impressive urban core over the next 5-10-or 20 years. Does anyone know whether there is any move afoot to do any type of planning to guide growth in the right direction?

There is a master plan for Argenta redevelopment. Look for an announcement today for a hotel development at Maple and Broadway. There will have to be an approval for variances for the development to proceed. Will this be the Aloft switching sides of the river?

As for the north side becoming an impressive urban core I wouldn't hold your breath over it. People in the historic district have opposed development over three floors. The NIMBYs want the advantages of development but are against the density needed to support urban living.

There is a master plan for Argenta redevelopment. Look for an announcement today for a hotel development at Maple and Broadway. There will have to be an approval for variances for the development to proceed. Will this be the Aloft switching sides of the river?

As for the north side becoming an impressive urban core I wouldn't hold your breath over it. People in the historic district have opposed development over three floors. The NIMBYs want the advantages of development but are against the density needed to support urban living.

The new hotel will be between 8 and 12 stories at a cost of $28 million. It will contain 130 rooms and 15,000 sq. ft. for restaurant and retail space. A parking deck for 300 cars will be built next to the hotel. The brand will be released in the next few months.

It's not an Aloft based on the height.

• 4 weeks later...

Argenta Seafood will shut down. Tonight is the last night. A local grocery store will open up in the space in the next few months. The store will promote Arkansas raised food and products.

Goodness. That didn't last long...I didn't even get a chance to try it! Did anyone else here ever sample it?

Goodness. That didn't last long...I didn't even get a chance to try it! Did anyone else here ever sample it?

I did. It was horrible. I am not a seafood person, so the fact that my chicken was mediocre MIGHT be understandable. However, my friends all ordered seafood and there wasn't a positive review in the bunch. Bland food, overcooked, tastes-like-its-out-of-the-can seafood chowder. It will not be missed. Hard to believe its the same people who do Capeo.