North Little Rock Development

• 2 months later...

Wasn't sure what topic to put this under but there looks to be some action at the 40/430 interchange in the median.  Some barricades are up and they are clearing some trees.  Anybody know what this is for?  Surely they aren't starting on the Northbelt.  Is this for the 40 widening?  Though where some of the clearing is taking place it doesn't seem to me it would be needed.

Edited by ndark

Wasn't sure what topic to put this under but there looks to be some action at the 40/430 interchange in the median.  Some barricades are up and they are clearing some trees.  Anybody know what this is for?  Surely they aren't starting on the Northbelt.  Is this for the 40 widening?  Though where some of the clearing is taking place it doesn't seem to me it would be needed.

from the AHTD website:

"This project widens approximately 5.5 miles of Interstate 40 to six lanes, extending from the Interstate 430/Interstate 40 interchange to Highway 365 in Pulaski County. At the I-40/I-430 interchange, single-lane ramps will be widened to two lanes for the I-40 eastbound to I-430 southbound ramp and the I-430 northbound to I-40 westbound ramp."

These ramps are awful at rush hour so this will be much needed relief when it's finished. 

• 2 months later...

Over the last couple of nights, people in NLR have been recieving calls asking if they would suuport a tax increase for 1) police and fire retirement and 2) a new Convention and Arts Center.  Does anyone know about this or recieved the phone call and can elaborate?

Over the last couple of nights, people in NLR have been recieving calls asking if they would suuport a tax increase for 1) police and fire retirement and 2) a new Convention and Arts Center.  Does anyone know about this or recieved the phone call and can elaborate?

There is an article in today's Democrat-Gazette talking about this. The NLR mayor, a couple of alderman and other officials are quoted in the article. One alderman said that the plan included a high rise hotel, museum, a convention center and an Arkansas Repretory-type center. Are a convention center and Arkansas Rep-type center needed so close to the ones across the river? It will be interesting to see if this goes anywhere.

There is an article in today's Democrat-Gazette talking about this. The NLR mayor, a couple of alderman and other officials are quoted in the article. One alderman said that the plan included a high rise hotel, museum, a convention center and an Arkansas Repretory-type center. Are a convention center and Arkansas Rep-type center needed so close to the ones across the river? It will be interesting to see if this goes anywhere.

Just my opinion but I think the location is wrong. Instead of being south of Broadway and between Main and the Verizon Arena they want to build west of the Broadway Bridge and Dickie Stephens Park.

Just my opinion but I think the location is wrong. Instead of being south of Broadway and between Main and the Verizon Arena they want to build west of the Broadway Bridge and Dickie Stephens Park.

This is just speculation. I read that private investors are part of the proposal.  Warren Stephens owns some/most of that land between Main and Verizon.  He is a well documented supporter of the arts and highly involved with the Arkansas Arts Center.  Maybe the art museum mentioned is not a new one but the current one being relocated? I know there has been talks about revovations and expansions at their current location.  That would be difficult being they are in the histoic district and would have more hoops to jump through.  Maybe a move would be more cost effective? Again, specualtion only.

Edited by Smith

This is just speculation. I read that private investors are part of the proposal.  Warren Stephens owns some/most of that land between Main and Verizon.  He is a well documented supporter of the arts and highly involved with the Arkansas Arts Center.  Maybe the art museum mentioned is not a new one but the current one being relocated? I know there has been talks about revovations and expansions at their current location.  That would be difficult being they are in the histoic district and would have more hoops to jump through.  Maybe a move would be more cost effective? Again, specualtion only.

Maybe there is some meat to this.  Arkansas Times did a story with a lot more detail to the rumor.

http://www.arktimes.com/ArkansasBlog/archives/2015/02/02/whispers-grow-about-100-million-north-little-rock-arts-center-project

Maybe there is some meat to this.  Arkansas Times did a story with a lot more detail to the rumor.

http://www.arktimes.com/ArkansasBlog/archives/2015/02/02/whispers-grow-about-100-million-north-little-rock-arts-center-project

Interesting note in the article was the Rep might be in the mix. If so then a major part of the Main Street Creative Corridor would leave. In the past Stephens offered the Rep property if they would relocate but at that time it was just down the street. That property is in negotiations to become part of the Tech Park.

This is certainly an ambitious plan for NLR, fueled by the possibility of getting some free money from Stephens. The following quote from Mayor Smith shows his enthusiasm.

"He said the project could make the city a national draw for arts — not only on a par but potentially better than Crystal Bridges, the Walton-financed arts museum in Bentonville that has been a smash hit with visitors and critics. That seems an exaggeration, given the Waltons' resources."

If there is a grain of truth in all this, our "Strong" Mayor and the LRCoC better get with the program and stop it in its tracks. 

Edited by LRU1967

This is certainly an ambitious plan for NLR, fueled by the possibility of getting some free money from Stephens. The following quote from Mayor Smith shows his enthusiasm.

"He said the project could make the city a national draw for arts — not only on a par but potentially better than Crystal Bridges, the Walton-financed arts museum in Bentonville that has been a smash hit with visitors and critics. That seems an exaggeration, given the Waltons' resources."

If there is a grain of truth in all this, our "Strong" Mayor and the LRCoC better get with the program and stop it in its tracks. Read the comment from Pat Hays in the Times article.

I can't go along with LR's Mayor being defined as "Strong". He latest comment was that he would like to see the Art Center relocated to either the River Market or Scott Street. I would like to know where in the RM or on Scott it could be relocated. He has known the situation  the AC building is in for sometime and I don't recall hearing him offer any solutions.

Would moving across the river be such a bad idea? I would like to see LR join in the effort to build a new AC on the riverfront. LR did a terrible example of building the Convention Center, blocking Main Street as well as the building itself from the river. Stop fighting and work together to build something nice.

First of all, LR does not OWN the art center just like it didn't OWN the Travelers or The Razorbacks.  Two organizations with past affiliations with the city that have left or have reduced their ties to the capital city. With regards to the Art Center, If this institution has found a public/private method to improve upon its current situation and provide greater exposure for the "arts" in the LR area who loses?? Who loses.... are the idiots in LR that are so territorial about keeping everything on their side of the playground that they would rather have an inferior product as long as they keep these venues within it's boundaries.  Let's face it.....LR's current form of government and its current residential make up is typically incapable of coordinating anything "grand" for the betterment of greater LR.  The recent exception being the expansion of the Robinson Auditorium. Furthermore, LRU1967, if you have a problem with NLR trying to help improve central arkansas' quality of life through urban development than I suggest you post it on a LR thread and quit trolling the NLR thread.  However, feel free to contact your "strong" mayor and CoC and maybe you guys can derail an real opportunity to improve our state's flagship art institution.

Furthermore, LRU1967, if you have a problem with NLR trying to help improve central arkansas' quality of life through urban development than I suggest you post it on a LR thread and quit trolling the NLR thread.  However, feel free to contact your "strong" mayor and CoC and maybe you guys can derail an real opportunity to improve our state's flagship art institution.

Sorry "King" I thought that the threads on this board were free for all, apparently you don't agree. You might notice that I had quotation marks around "Strong" when I was referring to the Little Rock mayor, much like having quotes around "King". I lived in NLR for 20 years, my child attended school there, I have nothing against the city as I believe the political leadership under Pat Hays did a great job in running the city, much better than what we have in LR.

This plan to move the Arts Center and the Rep to the northside has been brewing for well over a year. The LR leadership has sat on their hands and done nothing to ward it off. As a resident of LR it is disappointing that we don't have more forceful politicians running the city. For the city to sit back and allow two major cultural entities leave the city reveals incompetent leaders.

Edited by LRU1967

Sorry "King" I thought that the threads on this board were free for all, apparently you don't agree. You might notice that I had quotation marks around "Strong" when I was referring to the Little Rock mayor, much like having quotes around "King". I lived in NLR for 20 years, my child attended school there, I have nothing against the city as I believe the political leadership under Pat Hays did a great job in running the city, much better than what we have in LR.

This plan to move the Arts Center and the Rep to the northside has been brewing for well over a year. The LR leadership has sat on their hands and done nothing to ward it off. As a resident of LR it is disappointing that we don't have more forceful politicians running the city. For the city to sit back and allow two major cultural entities leave the city reveals incompetent leaders.

The latest article from the Dem Gaz  had a statement from Warren Stephens that had the typical 'hey, I don't know what you are talking about' kind of feel. It doesn't really shed any light on the situation but one interesting line of the article caught my eye. It was a quote from NLR mayor Joe Smith, "I anticipate this is either going to die a quiet death or everybody will know what's going on in, say, 30 days from now." That is an odd statement to me. Looking ahead 30 or so days, I see the major Arts Center Gala which is the event that all the big movers and shakers attend to spend their money.

Smith has also mentioned cantilever buildings over Riverfront Dr. That seems to me a very specific detail that would come from more than just casual conversations. Somebody knows something but I guess we will just have to wait and see.

• 2 weeks later...

The Arts Center Foundation was behind the poll. They want a new building because of the inadequacy of their current building. Seems like the are going to give Little Rock an opportunity to keep it. Mayor Stodola has mention the Main St. area in the Creative Corridor or land near the Clinton Library.

• 2 weeks later...

Mayor Stodola said in an Arkansas Democrat-Gazette article that Little Rock will make its pitch to keep the Arts Center next week. The Arts Center is asking for $100 million in public money to build a new building plus 1/8 cent of sales tax annually for operations. Stodola said there were four areas within the city for the new center.

"The Arts Center is asking for $100 million in public money to build a new building plus 1/8 cent of sales tax annually for operations."

​Good luck on raising $100 million and the  cent tax increase. Can the existing structure not be expanded? Is there room to enlarge the building? Would say, $25 million be enough to solve the Center's ills?

Until recently, Little Rock has had a history of tearing down older buildings.   Let's continue the trend to rebuild the old and only demolish sub-standard structures.

​What is the status of Mayor Smith's poll of NLR voters? 

The Arts Center Foundation is insisting on having a new building from everything I've read. They said the current facility has been expanded a couple of times and the mechanical infrastructure can't support what's there now. I think the are looking to the north and the popularity of Crystal Bridges and now they want something shiny and new also.

Even if Little Rock increases the hamburger tax to support a bond for a $100 million building I can't see the city dedicating 1/8 of a percent of tax money for ongoing support. Not when other things like the jail and CATA don't have dedicated sources of funding.

• 3 months later...

The first of  five new homes are under construction in Rockwater Village.

8nO6E1.jpg

I thought this would never see the light of day after the recession...it's too bad they backed off/compromised on the original TND design (that giant apartment complex wasn't the original scheme).

I agree about the apartment complex. It could have had a better design to fit in but it is what it is. When you first enter Rockwater Blvd. there is a rock sign at the roundabout announcing Rockwater. There are also signs along the street starting when you leave the roundabout about future development sites for the Village. One thing I did notice when I got out to take pictures was there were a number of cars on the street and they all appeared to be speeding.

• 8 months later...