North Little Rock Development

18 hours ago, Smith said:

The McDonald's on McCain is closed for what I believe is a complete tear down/rebuild instead of just a remodel. A "friend" might have stopped there to grab a quick lunch only to find it closed and full of workers.

It's a fairly significant development. During 2014, that particular McDonald's ranked as North Little Rock's ninth-best restaurant in overall food and nonalcoholic beverage sales

23 hours ago, ArkansasTraveler said:

It's a fairly significant development. During 2014, that particular McDonald's ranked as North Little Rock's ninth-best restaurant in overall food and nonalcoholic beverage sales

Yes, they are always busy. I run through here for lunch quite often. The building was getting pretty sad. Lights were burned out, broken chairs, etc. The staff was always nice and never had any issue with the food.

The rebuilding instead of a remodel is only me guessing. I was in there last year when some important guys in suits and the franchiser or GM were talking. They had plans out on the tables. I definitely heard the words "new" and "bulldozer." They walked all around inside and outside with a lot of pointing going on. I wondered what was taking so long to start because they seemed very serious.

Edited by Smith

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/2/2016 at 11:46 AM, SangreRaVen said:

I imagine they were trying to figure out the best time of the year to do it since this will put that location out of business for the time being until they are finished. 

-R

The McDonald's on McCain is definitely a rebuild. Drove by last night and it is a large hole in the ground. Probably smart to do it now. It's passed the holiday shopping rush but before school is out for the summer.

• 2 months later...

A plumbing permit was issued for Freddy's Frozen Custard at 4305 E. McCain in North Little Rock.  This should place the location in the parking lot of the NLR Home Depot.  Freddy's is sort of a combo of Steak N Shake and TCBY.  

I had heard Freddy's was looking at a LR location between Taco Bell and Walmart on Chenal.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A building has started going up in the last week or so next to Chuy's. Chuy's is 5105 Warden Road. A plumbing permit for Hideaway Pizza was filed for 5103. It is an Oklahoma place with several stores in OKC and Tulsa. This will be it's first in Arkansas. Looks to be along the lines of Mellow Mushroom.

https://www.hideawaypizza.com/content/specialty-pizzas

• 4 weeks later...

McCain McDonald's is reopening today. It is supposed to be the largest McDs in LR/NLR and will have touchscreen drink machines (the diet coke better taste right or so help me..) and two computer ordering stations at the counter. The building it self if kinda blah but it is in the newer style. It has three drive thru windows as well.

1 hour ago, Smith said:

McCain McDonald's is reopening today. It is supposed to be the largest McDs in LR/NLR and will have touchscreen drink machines (the diet coke better taste right or so help me..) and two computer ordering stations at the counter. The building it self if kinda blah but it is in the newer style. It has three drive thru windows as well.

Ha!  I'm with you on the Diet Coke mix!  The drink machine on Rodney Parham puts out some nasty excuses for soft drinks.

I do really like the new McDonald's prototypes.  Very well done generally.  I'm a bit flummoxed about how NONE of the Little Rock area (short of this now, new McCain location, the one-off University/Park Avenue location, and ironically one on I-440 east of the airport) have been updated.  Very dirty and outdated restaurants in and around the city, while nearly all of the statewide and even rural McDonald's are all new.

3 hours ago, Architect said:

Ha!  I'm with you on the Diet Coke mix!  The drink machine on Rodney Parham puts out some nasty excuses for soft drinks.

I do really like the new McDonald's prototypes.  Very well done generally.  I'm a bit flummoxed about how NONE of the Little Rock area (short of this now, new McCain location, the one-off University/Park Avenue location, and ironically one on I-440 east of the airport) have been updated.  Very dirty and outdated restaurants in and around the city, while nearly all of the statewide and even rural McDonald's are all new.

The Promenade location is the new style, as well. But you're right about the rest of them.

45 minutes ago, adman0468 said:

The Promenade location is the new style, as well. But you're right about the rest of them.

Dagnabbit...you're right!  I forgot about that one too...I guess that makes four or five new, but that's out of what...20-25 in central Arkansas?

I was curious about this new McDonald's so I swung through at lunch. It was very large inside compared to other stores. It was almost too crowded. Every table is very close together. A couple of places you had to uncomfortably squeeze through if there was someone sitting there. No computer ordering screens like I read previously. The drink machines worked nicely. No funny tasting Dt. Coke. There were a lot of visible fingerprints so it was kind of gross to touch it when you knew you would have to touch your food too. I also miss the slanted parking outside. Being in a truck, there almost wasn't enough room to swing out and park straight. The few inches they gained inside are honestly needed outside, IMO. At the end of the day though, it's still a McDonald's.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Smith said:

At the end of the day though, it's still a McDonald's.

^^^ this...ha!

I do have a theory about urban vs. rural (small town) McDonald's though.  A lot of the "new" one's I've seen...Fordyce, Clinton, etc. serve in a market with very few retail dining options.  I wouldn't be surprised if their revenue per SF (or per capita...pick any metric) isn't on par or even exceed any particular outlet in a metro region, say LR or NWA where each is just one of 20-25 McDonald's in a market with literally THOUSANDS of dining options.  I may be way off base here..maybe LRretail (<--I wish you could "tag" people like on FB) can weigh in here.

• 5 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, skirby said:

Arkansas Business is reporting that Richardson Properties will be building a $150 million multi-family development to be located between 67/167, I-40 and North Hills Blvd. The development will consist of 960 units.

That's a very large development.  They described it as "luxury" (but who doesn't), so hopefully it will prove to be well done.

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, Smith said:

Driving by this morning, I saw the entire backside of the Tandy 10 theater is being demolished. Have not seen anything about redevelopment of the space but somebody is doing some work.

If I remember correctly, they're turning it into a ready-to-finish-out space that has floors that are no longer uneven because of all the ramps a theater requires. I don't remember hearing that they had any tenant(s) lined up yet.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Interesting find today, I was looking for some Toyota truck parts online and searched for the nearest dealer that had the part in stock. It pulled up Mark McLarty Toyota. Checked and it has a website. Is McLarty taking over North Point Toyota? They already renamed the Nissan, Mazda, and Volkswagen lots a little while back.

Apparently they purchased all of the northpoint auto group in Arkansas. including: Toyota, Ford, Lincoln, BMW, Volvo, and two collision centers. BMW is the only dealership that will retain its name.  

http://www.autonews.com/article/20161213/RETAIL07/161219967/soros-backed-mclarty-group-buys-asbury-dealerships

8 hours ago, vbfl85 said:

Apparently they purchased all of the northpoint auto group in Arkansas. including: Toyota, Ford, Lincoln, BMW, Volvo, and two collision centers. BMW is the only dealership that will retain its name.  

http://www.autonews.com/article/20161213/RETAIL07/161219967/soros-backed-mclarty-group-buys-asbury-dealerships

By keeping its name, you mean "BMW of Little Rock" instead of "McLarty BMW"?