North Little Rock Development

does anyone else think that Alltel Arena is not aging well? The roof is deteriorating and even the brick looks terrible. Its a shame they could not have spent a little more money on it originally. Even the inside is beginning to look outdated. Does anyone know if their are plans to improve/renovate? In 5 years I see there being major problems and us losing events if nothing is done.

I think a power washer would go a long way.

Perhaps I'm an optimist here... And maybe times have changed... But Barton hosted events loooong after it was too small and out of date. I think Alltel as more than five years left -- even without the TLC that it will soon start to require.

I think a power washer would go a long way.

Perhaps I'm an optimist here... And maybe times have changed... But Barton hosted events loooong after it was too small and out of date. I think Alltel as more than five years left -- even without the TLC that it will soon start to require.

I agree.

The issue of washing the roof is frequently brought up and apparently it is expensive to do so, I think they use helicopters.

Still, when you are eating lunch across the river behind the River Market and the arena looks brown, something's wrong.

There is talk in Argenta of a national hotel chain looking at the property at the foot of the Main Street bridge where National Pawn Shop is located. This follows redevelopment talk of the City Services Building, the feed mill and other locations in downtown NLR. It will be interesting to see what comes about in the next few years.

There is talk in Argenta of a national hotel chain looking at the property at the foot of the Main Street bridge where National Pawn Shop is located. This follows redevelopment talk of the City Services Building, the feed mill and other locations in downtown NLR. It will be interesting to see what comes about in the next few years.

Isn't it cool how the the redevelopment of downtown LR has spilled over to NLR? I suspect that by 2010 downtown NLR will be progressing much like the River Market District was in the mid 90s.

I saw on the plumbing permits that American Eagle is putting a store in McCain Mall. That mall needs a major updating both on the interior and exterior. It looks really outdated from the outside and could really use some trees/green space in the parking lot. It does not look apealing at all and it is supposed to be the retail hub of the north metro.

Also any word on what will go in the old Tia's location. It seems to be a prime location.

Isn't it cool how the the redevelopment of downtown LR has spilled over to NLR? I suspect that by 2010 downtown NLR will be progressing much like the River Market District was in the mid 90s.

NLR has a better slate to work with. Prices are quite a bit lower in Argenta than downtown LR and there's more vacant land and fewer existing structures near the Riverfront.

Someone on the Argenta blog that was linked mentioned the idea of a "canyon" of high rises created along the river. That sure would be something. Hyperbole, perhaps, but it sure is a neat idea.

does anyone else think that Alltel Arena is not aging well? The roof is deteriorating and even the brick looks terrible. Its a shame they could not have spent a little more money on it originally. Even the inside is beginning to look outdated. Does anyone know if their are plans to improve/renovate? In 5 years I see there being major problems and us losing events if nothing is done.

It seems like the life spans of arenas are getting shorter. Look at the Pyramid in Memphis. It was finished, I believe, in 1991, and when the Grizzlies moved there they immediately started talking of building a new arena instead of redeveloping the Pyramid. I've read that other cities with arenas that are 15-20 years old are thinking about building new facilities.

I think Alltel is aging gracefully. Yes the roofs needs to be washed more often and some of the bricks, particularly some of the bricks facing I-30 look bad, but as a whole its a nice facility that is PAID FOR. In order to continue to bring in some of the concerts and sporting events the arena has been getting, money will have to be invested in upgrades and I'm sure that those that run the arena know that those upgrades will need to come about in the next few years.

It seems like the life spans of arenas are getting shorter. Look at the Pyramid in Memphis. It was finished, I believe, in 1991, and when the Grizzlies moved there they immediately started talking of building a new arena instead of redeveloping the Pyramid. I've read that other cities with arenas that are 15-20 years old are thinking about building new facilities.

I think Alltel is aging gracefully. Yes the roofs needs to be washed more often and some of the bricks, particularly some of the bricks facing I-30 look bad, but as a whole its a nice facility that is PAID FOR. In order to continue to bring in some of the concerts and sporting events the arena has been getting, money will have to be invested in upgrades and I'm sure that those that run the arena know that those upgrades will need to come about in the next few years.

Well, I think the Pyramid is kind of a distinct example of an arena gone awry. It's the exception rather than the rule. I think Alltel still looks as good as it did when it opened, save the dirt on the roof.

Does anyone know the finances? Is the arena putting money away to pay for future improvements?

That's one of the problems with major league sports. When a city lands a franchise, the first thing the franchise does is claim that it needs a new arena/stadium/park. It seems that they think wrapping a new gift in last year's wrapping paper won't be as appealing as seeing the new in a new facility. Teams are allowed to move so easily these days. They use this power to bargain between markets for improved facilities.

Well, I think the Pyramid is kind of a distinct example of an arena gone awry. It's the exception rather than the rule. I think Alltel still looks as good as it did when it opened, save the dirt on the roof.

Does anyone know the finances? Is the arena putting money away to pay for future improvements?

It's happening more than you think. The University of Cincinnati wants to replace it arena that was built in 1989 because it doesn't have all the amenities of modern arenas. I wouldn't be suprised to hear of more talk of replacing arenas that were built in the mid to late 80's

It's happening more than you think. The University of Cincinnati wants to replace it arena that was built in 1989 because it doesn't have all the amenities of modern arenas. I wouldn't be suprised to hear of more talk of replacing arenas that were built in the mid to late 80's

Yeah, but the story of the Pyramid is specifically unique. It was supposed to be a multifaceted entertainment complex, not just an arena. The retail, dining, etc components from the private sector investors never emerged. Despite considerable expense to build it at the time of construction it was lacking in amenities, the costs were mostly tied to the unique external appearance. Because of this, it was going to cost almost $200 million to upgrade it to NBA standards, making it worth building an entirely new arena instead.

Most importantly, though, it was poorly designed. Acoustics were awful and it was shunned by major concert tours, which is part of why Alltel often has major tours Memphis did not for many years until FedEx opened. It far exceeded needed capacity for Memphis State games.

It's been considered for a hotel ,theme park, shopping complex, and lately for a Bass Pro Shop. It really just doesn't fit any mold. What the hell do you do with a giant glass, steel, and concrete pyramid? I have no idea.

I have seen new arenas become obsolete before, no doubt. However, the Pyramid really was unique. It was just a case of trying to fit a square peg in a round (or triangular) hole.

Yeah, but the story of the Pyramid is specifically unique. It was supposed to be a multifaceted entertainment complex, not just an arena. The retail, dining, etc components from the private sector investors never emerged. Despite considerable expense to build it at the time of construction it was lacking in amenities, the costs were mostly tied to the unique external appearance. Because of this, it was going to cost almost $200 million to upgrade it to NBA standards, making it worth building an entirely new arena instead.

Most importantly, though, it was poorly designed. Acoustics were awful and it was shunned by major concert tours, which is part of why Alltel often has major tours Memphis did not for many years until FedEx opened. It far exceeded needed capacity for Memphis State games.

It's been considered for a hotel ,theme park, shopping complex, and lately for a Bass Pro Shop. It really just doesn't fit any mold. What the hell do you do with a giant glass, steel, and concrete pyramid? I have no idea.

I have seen new arenas become obsolete before, no doubt. However, the Pyramid really was unique. It was just a case of trying to fit a square peg in a round (or triangular) hole.

You're right. Certain features of the Pyramid were never finished including the elevator ride to the top and observation post. I think the officials in Memphis thought more of building an iconic building instead of one that would accomodate concerts and sporting events better. Going inside the Pyramid was real interesting to say the least.

The one thing they can't do is blow it up and place something else on the site. For one, the city and county are still paying for the Pyramid. Secondly, they want to keep the building as part of their skyline. As much of a white elephant it has been, it's a big part of Memphis now.

Bass Pro has been dragging its feet with its plans for the Pyramid, but officials there seem to be willing to wait them out.

You're right. Certain features of the Pyramid were never finished including the elevator ride to the top and observation post. I think the officials in Memphis thought more of building an iconic building instead of one that would accomodate concerts and sporting events better. Going inside the Pyramid was real interesting to say the least.

The one thing they can't do is blow it up and place something else on the site. For one, the city and county are still paying for the Pyramid. Secondly, they want to keep the building as part of their skyline. As much of a white elephant it has been, it's a big part of Memphis now.

Bass Pro has been dragging its feet with its plans for the Pyramid, but officials there seem to be willing to wait them out.

It's interesting to follow, it's just hard to imagine that turning it into a Bass Pro Shop is a good solution.

I noticed the space where the Irish Pub is going to be located in downtown NLR is still torn up. Are they still planning on opening by St. Patrick's Day?

According to the Web site, their grand opening has been delayed by construction. However, the site says they still plan to have a St. Patrick's Day celebration on the 17th. For more information, see www.cregeenspubs.com.

According to the Web site, their grand opening has been delayed by construction. However, the site says they still plan to have a St. Patrick's Day celebration on the 17th. For more information, see www.cregeenspubs.com.

I couldn't remember the name of the pub. Thanks for the update. It's a shame they won't be open by St. Patty's, but it'll be nice to have actual "pub" in LR/NLR once it opens.

In today's Arkansas Democrat Gazette there is a story about North Little Rock city officials discussing relocating the Greyhound bus terminal in downtown NLR. The property is next to the above mentioned site at the foot of the Main Street bridge.

In today's Arkansas Democrat Gazette there is a story about North Little Rock city officials discussing relocating the Greyhound bus terminal in downtown NLR. The property is next to the above mentioned site at the foot of the Main Street bridge.

I missed that article. Any more details on that? I think it would be smart move.

• 3 weeks later...

John Gaudin, developer of Argenta Place, has announced that he has formed a design and construction team for 58 condos on Maple Street. They will be between 4th and 7th Streets in downtown NLR. Also included in the project are plans for a public pocket park. Plans call for development to start the fall or winter.

• 2 weeks later...

John Gaudin, developer of Argenta Place, has announced that he has formed a design and construction team for 58 condos on Maple Street. They will be between 4th and 7th Streets in downtown NLR. Also included in the project are plans for a public pocket park. Plans call for development to start the fall or winter.

There's a good article in the ADG today about downtown NLR development that listed this project. They seem to have an aggressive timetable for this and prices are designed to be affordable, $199,000 to $250,000.

Argenta Place was also mentioned but it will have only 6 residential units.

The reason the Marina Towers project never took off apparently had to do with soil contamination, something that work should begin on in 60-90 days and once the site is cleaned up suitors may be more interested.

Other projects:

In 2008 or 2009, developers hope to convert Maple Place, located at 201 Maple St., into a $30 million mixed-use facility composed of residential, office and retail components.

Also in the planning stage is new Argenta Town Center, which would be at 123 E. Broadway, also a $30 million mixed-use project which hopefull would include a small grocery store and theater.

Sam Perroni's building will have 16 condos.

Then there's the new urbanist North Bluffs Development, a mixed-use complex that will include about 300 residences, including town houses west of DS stadium and will cost roughly $50 million to build.

There's a good article in the ADG today about downtown NLR development that listed this project. They seem to have an aggressive timetable for this and prices are designed to be affordable, $199,000 to $250,000.

Argenta Place was also mentioned but it will have only 6 residential units.

The reason the Marina Towers project never took off apparently had to do with soil contamination, something that work should begin on in 60-90 days and once the site is cleaned up suitors may be more interested.

Other projects:

In 2008 or 2009, developers hope to convert Maple Place, located at 201 Maple St., into a $30 million mixed-use facility composed of residential, office and retail components.

Also in the planning stage is new Argenta Town Center, which would be at 123 E. Broadway, also a $30 million mixed-use project which hopefull would include a small grocery store and theater.

Sam Perroni's building will have 16 condos.

Then there's the new urbanist North Bluffs Development, a mixed-use complex that will include about 300 residences, including town houses west of DS stadium and will cost roughly $50 million to build.

I don't understand what they intend to do to Maple Place. Maple Place is the old Rye Furniture store building. I don't know why they would spend $30 million on this building. Why not just take it down and start from the ground.

I don't understand what they intend to do to Maple Place. Maple Place is the old Rye Furniture store building. I don't know why they would spend $30 million on this building. Why not just take it down and start from the ground.

I didn't quite catch that. You're right, you would have to think the author botched that. That's just an old furniture warehouse, nothing one would spend that kind of money on.

The location is OUTSTANDING, though.

I didn't quite catch that. You're right, you would have to think the author botched that. That's just an old furniture warehouse, nothing one would spend that kind of money on.

The location is OUTSTANDING, though.

A $30 million project would put it above the amount of the First Security building in the River Market District and the Enclave in NLR.