North Little Rock Development

any word on the old Tia's location? Seems like it would be a good spot with high traffic.

Agreed. No locations over there have sat long before. Smitty's became West End, Regas became PF Chang's, Tony Roma's became Gaucho's and Black Eyed Pea became Sekisui's virtually instantaneously. There's a shortage of prime restaurant locations in the retail core of West LR.

I'd like to see a Ruth's Chris over there. There's no prime steakhouse in West LR.

Agreed. No locations over there have sat long before. Smitty's became West End, Regas became PF Chang's, Tony Roma's became Gaucho's and Black Eyed Pea became Sekisui's virtually instantaneously. There's a shortage of prime restaurant locations in the retail core of West LR.

I'd like to see a Ruth's Chris over there. There's no prime steakhouse in West LR.

What about the Butcher Shop?

What about the Butcher Shop?

I wouldn't call that a "prime steakhouse". It's good but more on the order of Steak and Ale than Morton's or Ruth's Chris.

Of course, you can get a mean steak at Caper's, Faded Rose, and 1620. I haven't had a steak at Crew but I heard good things.

Supposedly Jerry Bakarat, who owns Gaucho's, Terrace on the Green and a few other local restaurants is opening a new "prime steakhouse" in his little restaurant row at the Village on Rahling Road. We'll have to see how that turns out.

Downtown you have Riverfront Steakhouse, Capriccio's and Sonny Williams - all of which are "prime steakhouses" and I believe Sir Loin's Inn in NLR would fit that bill as well. I'm very hopeful LR will soon get a Ruth's Chris.

I wouldn't call that a "prime steakhouse". It's good but more on the order of Steak and Ale than Morton's or Ruth's Chris.

Of course, you can get a mean steak at Caper's, Faded Rose, and 1620. I haven't had a steak at Crew but I heard good things.

Supposedly Jerry Bakarat, who owns Gaucho's, Terrace on the Green and a few other local restaurants is opening a new "prime steakhouse" in his little restaurant row at the Village on Rahling Road. We'll have to see how that turns out.

Downtown you have Riverfront Steakhouse, Capriccio's and Sonny Williams - all of which are "prime steakhouses" and I believe Sir Loin's Inn in NLR would fit that bill as well. I'm very hopeful LR will soon get a Ruth's Chris.

I guess I see what you are saying....but the Butcher Shop does serve "prime" beef and I'd prefer it over anything you mentioned above save maybe Riverfront. The atmosphere and price aren't what you'd see at the others, though.

I guess I see what you are saying....but the Butcher Shop does serve "prime" beef and I'd prefer it over anything you mentioned above save maybe Riverfront. The atmosphere and price aren't what you'd see at the others, though.

Really? I'm no fan of the Butcher Shop over the last decade, though I used to love it when it was down on Asher. My father and I used to go there all the time. True, they serve USDA Prime at additional cost but so does Outback.

Really? I'm no fan of the Butcher Shop over the last decade, though I used to love it when it was down on Asher. My father and I used to go there all the time. True, they serve USDA Prime at additional cost but so does Outback.

Have you been lately? I only started going there within the last year and absolutely fell in love with it. I never expected it to compare to sonny william's or any of the like (especially not sir loin's inn, I absolutely love that place) but I have really liked it the few times I've been there. No frills, just a big piece of meat and a good baked potato. But, I am simple like that.

Anyway, one of the best filets I've had was at Loca Luna. That place is an absolute gem of an eatery.

Have you been lately? I only started going there within the last year and absolutely fell in love with it. I never expected it to compare to sonny william's or any of the like (especially not sir loin's inn, I absolutely love that place) but I have really liked it the few times I've been there. No frills, just a big piece of meat and a good baked potato. But, I am simple like that.

Anyway, one of the best filets I've had was at Loca Luna. That place is an absolute gem of an eatery.

Last time I went was two years ago. It's not the same as it used to be. In the old days when it was down on Asher generally everyone cooked the steaks themselves, now most people let the staff prepare them and on a handful of visits I've had they were never done correctly.

Never eaten a steak at Loca Luna but I've never had a bad dish there, either. I like it was well and it's moderately priced. Brave New Restaurant has a couple of steaks on the menu and that's probably my favorite restaurant in town, despite the new location being a little weird.

The article on Pleasant Ridge in this week's Ark Business mentioned Schickel's in negotations with a "prime steakhouse", FWIW.

The new urbanism development in the Baring Cross neighborhood will be know as Rockwater Village. It will cover 40-acres bordering Ninth Street, River Road, Pike Avenue and the Arkansas River. Plans call for 250 structures made up of street level retail that will have second and third stories for offices and apartments. The development will consist of a mix of housing styles including single family homes, townhouses, and condos. They will retain the old Vestal chimney as a focal point for the development.

The new urbanism development in the Baring Cross neighborhood will be know as Rockwater Village. It will cover 40-acres bordering Ninth Street, River Road, Pike Avenue and the Arkansas River. Plans call for 250 structures made up of street level retail that will have second and third stories for offices and apartments. The development will consist of a mix of housing styles including single family homes, townhouses, and condos. They will retain the old Vestal chimney as a focal point for the development.

Cool. Is their a website? I was invited to the "unveiling" last Thursday, but couldn't make it.

Sounds good. Let's hope this development happens. It will add to all of the good things going on in NLR

The old Vestal chimney.

p1000845us9.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

V3 Partners of NLR is looking into the possibility of grocery-anchored project in downtown NLR. They control a large number of properties in the Argenta area. In the mean time they will be starting the permit process tomorrow before the Historic District Commission for a planned 58 unit development on Maple St. Planned construction to start this fall or winter.

V3 Partners of NLR is looking into the possibility of grocery-anchored project in downtown NLR. They control a large number of properties in the Argenta area. In the mean time they will be starting the permit process tomorrow before the Historic District Commission for a planned 58 unit development on Maple St. Planned construction to start this fall or winter.

A nice grocery store in downtown NLR would be a good idea imo. I'm sure it would draw several customers from the new highrises in LR as well. Especially if the trolley connected the two locations.

A nice grocery store in downtown NLR would be a good idea imo. I'm sure it would draw several customers from the new highrises in LR as well. Especially if the trolley connected the two locations.

There's a Kroger near downtown but like the Harvest Foods on Main across the river, it's kind of limited and sketchy at times. A small gourmet grocery is what we'd like to see.

For NLR to support this it needs more downtown residential. The new development in Emerald Park will help but a high rise or two would be better.

The Historic District Commission approved the townhome development for Maple St. The cost is listed as $13.5 million for the project.

That townhome niche is missing in LR (aside from West LR in the Pleasant Valley area). I bet these do well.

Yeah, I've felt the same way too. There are some townhomes in the PV area, but that's about it. I'd think that LR/NLR could use more of this.

Yeah, I've felt the same way too. There are some townhomes in the PV area, but that's about it. I'd think that LR/NLR could use more of this.

These 2-3 story townhomes are popular in areas near downtowns in Atlanta and Dallas. They tend to be a bit more affordable than highrises and afford more privacy as well, with a private garage and all. I'd like to see this trend take off.

I always thought if I had a little extra cash I'd tear down some of the old run-down (nonhistoric) apartments in the Hillcrest area or along West Markham across from War Memorial and build some townhomes. I bet they'd do well with a subset that loves that part of town but doesn't want the hassle of a large yard or the maintenance on an older home.

These 2-3 story townhomes are popular in areas near downtowns in Atlanta and Dallas. They tend to be a bit more affordable than highrises and afford more privacy as well, with a private garage and all. I'd like to see this trend take off.

I always thought if I had a little extra cash I'd tear down some of the old run-down (nonhistoric) apartments in the Hillcrest area or along West Markham across from War Memorial and build some townhomes. I bet they'd do well with a subset that loves that part of town but doesn't want the hassle of a large yard or the maintenance on an older home.

The area between Fair Park and Midtowne would be a good spot for this type of development.