North Little Rock Development

The area between Fair Park and Midtowne would be a good spot for this type of development.

That's exactly what I was thinking of. Too many 1960s-1970s apartment buildings in poor condition that don't fit the neighborhood. It would be doing a great service to tear these down and I bet you could make a nice profit on brownstones/townhouses through there as that part of town lacks that kind of residence.

• 2 weeks later...

This morning's Demozette had an article about a "lifestyle center" that is being developed in SE NLR on US 165 just off of I-440 and just a mile or two from Scott. In theory this should serve the Stonelinks area as well as Baucom plantation, Willow Bend, and the communities in and around Scott and Keo.

Supposedly it will be home to a major grocery store, restaurants, retail space, entertainment and other commercial ventures and possibly some medical facilities. Some office space will be built on adjacent property.

That's a great area out there but growth's been slow, no doubt in part due to lack of nearby grocery stores and restaurants.

This morning's Demozette had an article about a "lifestyle center" that is being developed in SE NLR on US 165 just off of I-440 and just a mile or two from Scott. In theory this should serve the Stonelinks area as well as Baucom plantation, Willow Bend, and the communities in and around Scott and Keo.

Supposedly it will be home to a major grocery store, restaurants, retail space, entertainment and other commercial ventures and possibly some medical facilities. Some office space will be built on adjacent property.

That's a great area out there but growth's been slow, no doubt in part due to lack of nearby grocery stores and restaurants.

Hurray!!! Now I don't have to drive the 25 miles from Keo to a nice grocery store. It's about time we see people moving eastward. Everyting was headed west away from the area. It's becoming a nice place to live. They have Stonelinks, Cypress Crossing, and other communites out this way. There is also a nice industrial park, new car-wash, a gas-station and some storage buildings. !!!IT'S ABOUT TIME!!! :yahoo:

Hurray!!! Now I don't have to drive the 25 miles from Keo to a nice grocery store. It's about time we see people moving eastward. Everyting was headed west away from the area. It's becoming a nice place to live. They have Stonelinks, Cypress Crossing, and other communites out this way. There is also a nice industrial park, new car-wash, a gas-station and some storage buildings. !!!IT'S ABOUT TIME!!! :yahoo:

Well, look at the bright side. You have the best hamburgers (Cotham's), the best pies (Eats and Sweets), and the best antique store in the state (Morris) out there. I drive out there all the time for these reasons.

I bet we see a lot of new subdivisions once the grocery store is there.

Well, look at the bright side. You have the best hamburgers (Cotham's), the best pies (Eats and Sweets), and the best antique store in the state (Morris) out there. I drive out there all the time for these reasons.

I bet we see a lot of new subdivisions once the grocery store is there.

I can't argue with that. I love Charlotte's pies. She is a very sweet lady I might add. Actually, all three of the places you mentioned have friendly people working for them. But yeah, at least Keo and Scott have something to brag about. LOL :good:

There are reports that the Argenta Community Development Corporation is trying to buy property on Maple Street between 7th and 8th. This is located just north of the Maple Street Townhomes planned development. It will be interesting to know what their plans for the property are?

There are reports that the Argenta Community Development Corporation is trying to buy property on Maple Street between 7th and 8th. This is located just north of the Maple Street Townhomes planned development. It will be interesting to know what their plans for the property are?

They recently purchased a warehouse property on Maple close to 7th street. 710 Maple I believe.

Interesting story from CH #4. "In the last two years, the planning commission has reviewed close to three thousand residential lots in North Little Rock, and now, many of those are being developed." On of the reasons given for the interest is the increase in gas prices. It will be interesting to see if the population in NLR in 2010 returns to the 60,000+ figure.

Skirby, any idea what's planned for the mill property?

The mill still has a few more months of operations and then will shut down. The owners of the property have said that something would be announced in the near future. The property runs between 4th and 7th streets. The city of NLR is buying the property just east of Main between 8th and 9th from Union Pacific. If I am not mistaken the city also owns property between 7th and 8th which they are holding for redevelopment.

The mill still has a few more months of operations and then will shut down. The owners of the property have said that something would be announced in the near future. The property runs between 4th and 7th streets. The city of NLR is buying the property just east of Main between 8th and 9th from Union Pacific. If I am not mistaken the city also owns property between 7th and 8th which they are holding for redevelopment.

Thanks, it's prime land. I'd love to see more mixed use development like the Enclave.

Today's ADG mentioned a piece of property that I'd forgotten about, the old Baptist Memorial Hospital in NLR.

What in the world is ever going to be done with that old building?

Anyone have any ideas? Like the old LR VA hospital, it's tough to figure out what to do with an empty building that large.

Today's ADG mentioned a piece of property that I'd forgotten about, the old Baptist Memorial Hospital in NLR.

What in the world is ever going to be done with that old building?

Anyone have any ideas? Like the old LR VA hospital, it's tough to figure out what to do with an empty building that large.

Doze it. The value is in that tract of land. Good location, access to I-40, a killer view, etc. Hopefully the next developer will do something nice.

Doze it. The value is in that tract of land. Good location, access to I-40, a killer view, etc. Hopefully the next developer will do something nice.

Interstate access up there's not as easy as it could be. The view's great and I could see it making a nice site for condos or apartments or maybe an office building, though I don't know who would build offices there. The Pike Lanes shopping center at the base of the hill is looking a little run-down, the area may not support something really nice.

Argenta Place topped out this morning and there were supposed to be some announcements about planned projects in the area made today.

Anyone heard anything?

Arkansas Business reports the topping out will take place, next Tuesday, at which time some other announcements should be made.

Arkansas Business reports the topping out will take place, next Tuesday, at which time some other announcements should be made.

The other announcements could include the new grocery store in the old Rye furniture building. The long desired full service grocery store will be a big asset for Argenta. The fact that they Gary (don't recall last name) from Beans and Grains to consult is interesting. He may have finally been asked enough times and be the right person. There were several earlier attempts made to get him to open a new store in the River Market area through the years.

I am assuming that the size of the building and the the lease made the grocery business model feasible in Argenta. It will be interesting to see how many LR condo dwellers, make the trek across the river for groceries.

The ground floor of 300 3rd will be grocery/prepared food/eat-in restaurant. But, I don't think it will do as well as a full service grocery.

I am assuming that the size of the building and the the lease made the grocery business model feasible in Argenta. It will be interesting to see how many LR condo dwellers, make the trek across the river for groceries.

I wonder about this as well. I know the Argenta neighborhood will be loyal but it's a small population. The LR condo-ites can go to Harvest Foods on Main or the nicer one in Riverdale and not drive much further. The Argenta grocer sure won't be walking distance. Hopefully the grocery will be a unique experience and will become trendy and develop its own customer base, the way Beans and Grains did. Besides, NLR doesn't really have a specialty grocery while there are a couple in that niche South of the river and they seem to be multiplying.

I've driven through North Little Rock downtown a few times over the past 2 weeks, and I have to say I'm pretty unimpressed. I really had never explored the area until recently. There are completely suburban developments with big lawns along the river (like Bank of America or that random furniture store). Main street is dead; there are boarded up buildings along the River Rail. Granted, I wasn't familiar with the scene 5 years ago, so this may be an improvement.

No one was walking "downtown" the times I passed. The trolleys were desolate as well.

I don't really see North Little Rock developing as an urban center like Little Rock (with skycrapers and the like), but I can see it developing into a place like the Loop in St. Louis-- or Dickson street in Fay.

After visiting, I'm beginning to think that maybe it's a good thing that the two cities (LR and NLR) are separate. If they were one, then time would be focused on revitalizing an already present urban environment in Little Rock rather than wasting time on an essentially nonexistent one in North Little Rock. As two separate cities, they can separately focus on their downtowns.