Random Shreveport

woob

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

I decided to survey some metro areas that are similar in size to Shreveport/Bossier to see how the number of highrise buildings compares. I collected all of my data from Emporis, so it may not be perfect, but it's close. I sorted the chart in ascending MSA Population order, so you can see most metro areas are actually larger than Shreveport, but if you look at the number of total floors in highrise buildings, Shreveport actually ranks 5 of 13 - not too bad. Anyway, it's no scientific experiment, but I thought I'd share anyway. By the way, I was completely unbiased in the cities I chose to compare!

153645985.jpg

Oops, that unlabled column should say "Total # of Floors in Highrise Buildings".

153650084.jpg

• 1 month later...

Lovely pics. non urban comment

Shreveport founded donut company-Southern Maid Donuts would put Krispy Kreme to shame. Especially the old one on the Greenwood Rd. That what I am talking about. Southern Maid probably the best donut ever created is from Shreveport. Do I get an amen!!!!!!

You'll get an amen from many, but not from me. I grew up with Southern Maid, but once Krispy Kreme came back into the market I was so thankful to have them back. Now there is a bit more competition in the market, as there are quite a few smaller "donut" franchises scattered about the city.

Now don't get me wrong here, I do like Southern Maid. But when you go for years with that as your only option, it gets old. All of the convenience stores and grocery stores who used to carry Southern Maid donuts around here now carry Krispy Kreme instead, since they no longer have to truck them in from a bakery store in Dallas but rather in Shreveport.

The fondest memory I have of my old neighborhood Southern Maid is of going to their arcade every single day back in the 80s and playing Ms. Pac-Man, Galaga, pinball, and others, until I made my parents go broke. :D

In the first picture, what's the retail/pedestrian area in the foreground? I really like the way it looks. is it a new retail center made to look older or refurbished older buildings?

That's the Louisiana Boardwalk. And yes, it's designed to look like an old downtown area that's come back to life. Its main focus is outlet stores, but it's also home to a Bass Pro Outdoor World, Hooters, Joe's Crab Shack, Buffalo Wild Wings, Regal multiplex theater, bowling alley, 3 nightclubs, arcade, trolley, carousel, and Louisiana's second-largest parking deck behind only the Superdome. It will eventually have 1-2 hotels and a marina.

Basically it's an open-air shopping mall similar to Grapevine Mills or Katy Mills but with a few "outdoor" attractions like the playing fountions, riverwalk, trolley, proposed marina, etc.

Here's a map of the property. You can clearly see that it's laid out like a shopping mall. This map also gives you a good idea of the overall size of this center as well.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/assets/pdf/D93717511.PDF

Edit: looks like woob was replying as I was.

Good to see you posting agian, woob... where have you been hiding!?!? :)

That's the Louisiana Boardwalk. And yes, it's designed to look like an old downtown area that's come back to life. Its main focus is outlet stores, but it's also home to a Bass Pro Outdoor World, Hooters, Joe's Crab Shack, Buffalo Wild Wings, Regal multiplex theater, bowling alley, 3 nightclubs, arcade, trolley, carousel, and Louisiana's second-largest parking deck behind only the Superdome. It will eventually have 1-2 hotels and a marina.

Basically it's an open-air shopping mall similar to Grapevine Mills or Katy Mills but with a few "outdoor" attractions like the playing fountions, riverwalk, trolley, proposed marina, etc.

Here's a map of the property. You can clearly see that it's laid out like a shopping mall. This map also gives you a good idea of the overall size of this center as well.

Man, I wish LR-NLR could develop something like that. We've done a good job of creating an entertainment district with lots of bars and in creating gobs of downtown residential but there's almost no retail downtown. The Bass Pro Shop is going in a few miles from downtown in a very ordinary kind of development.

That's one of the coolest de novo downtown developments I've seen in any mid-sized metro.

Man, I wish LR-NLR could develop something like that. We've done a good job of creating an entertainment district with lots of bars and in creating gobs of downtown residential but there's almost no retail downtown. The Bass Pro Shop is going in a few miles from downtown in a very ordinary kind of development.

That's one of the coolest de novo downtown developments I've seen in any mid-sized metro.

I saw the story you posted from the Shreveport Times about Shreveport looking to Little Rock for ideas for their struggling downtown district. Shreveport could learn something from its sister city right across the river, and it appears that it has. Soon it will beef up security and add a dress code and Code of Conduct similar to that of the Boardwalk. Little Rock's River Market seems to be a nice thing, and I'd like to actually stop in sometime and check it out. I'm in that area of Arkansas at least once every year, so I really need to do that.

Anyway, if you're interested, here's a pano I took a few weeks back of the Boardwalk. I was standing on the riverwalk on Shreveport's riverfront, facing the Boardwalk when I took the frames for this pano. When you click on the link below and come to the image, it will be really small. If you're using Firefox, just click on the image once and it will enlarge. If you're using Internet Explorer, hover your mouse pointer over any part of the image (particularly the right-hand side) for IE's image enlarging tool.

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...ost&id=2415

Here's a thread I started about Louisiana Boardwalk which has some photos I took over a period of months with my old camera. They're okay, but they give you a good look inside the Boardwalk.

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=23073

By the way, I also forgot to add that the Boardwalk is home to the first Saltgrass Steakhouse to be built outside of Texas. :) I figured that would be familiar to you since they're big in Dallas, Houston, Austin, and San Antonio.

I saw the story you posted from the Shreveport Times about Shreveport looking to Little Rock for ideas for their struggling downtown district. Shreveport could learn something from its sister city right across the river, and it appears that it has. Soon it will beef up security and add a dress code and Code of Conduct similar to that of the Boardwalk. Little Rock's River Market seems to be a nice thing, and I'd like to actually stop in sometime and check it out. I'm in that area of Arkansas at least once every year, so I really need to do that.

Anyway, if you're interested, here's a pano I took a few weeks back of the Boardwalk. I was standing on the riverwalk on Shreveport's riverfront, facing the Boardwalk when I took the frames for this pano. When you click on the link below and come to the image, it will be really small. If you're using Firefox, just click on the image once and it will enlarge. If you're using Internet Explorer, hover your mouse pointer over any part of the image (particularly the right-hand side) for IE's image enlarging tool.

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...ost&id=2415

Here's a thread I started about Louisiana Boardwalk which has some photos I took over a period of months with my old camera. They're okay, but they give you a good look inside the Boardwalk.

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=23073

By the way, I also forgot to add that the Boardwalk is home to the first Saltgrass Steakhouse to be built outside of Texas. :) I figured that would be familiar to you since they're big in Dallas, Houston, Austin, and San Antonio.

Thanks. I love it. Something like that would be perfect in downtown North Little Rock near Alltel Arena and the new Arkansas Travelers ballpark. There is a plan to build twin 9-story towers with a marina there and we're trying to get a marina culture started on the Arkansas River as well. People in Central Arkansas are squeamish about downtown retail development because of a failed downtown redevelopment attempt in the early 1980s called the Main Street Mall, which really was a completely different situation. There are no significant outlets in the area yet and it would be a terrific idea. I don't see anyone in LR/NLR taking the risk, though, unfortunately.

Thanks. I love it. Something like that would be perfect in downtown North Little Rock near Alltel Arena and the new Arkansas Travelers ballpark. There is a plan to build twin 9-story towers with a marina there and we're trying to get a marina culture started on the Arkansas River as well. People in Central Arkansas are squeamish about downtown retail development because of a failed downtown redevelopment attempt in the early 1980s called the Main Street Mall, which really was a completely different situation. There are no significant outlets in the area yet and it would be a terrific idea. I don't see anyone in LR/NLR taking the risk, though, unfortunately.

That's really a shame, because I believe something like this could be successful in North Little Rock. North Little Rock is very much like Bossier City... similar population inside the city limits, similar placement to the larger city in its metro, etc, etc. Like Bossier City, North Little Rock has very busy shopping areas quite a distance outside of the downtown area. A developer from Bossier City was willing to take the gamble with the backing of a group from Los Angeles, and I think it would be awesome if someone in Little Rock or North Little Rock were willing to do the same.

^A definite must-see next time I'm in the SBC area ! :thumbsup: That's one BIG development. I am glad the risk was taken. That type of "Out-the-Box" thinking is what Louisiana needs. I am glad Bossier was bold enough to go for it ! Brian, just curious...what's your opinion with the Texas Street Bridge that runs thru the middle of the Boardwalk ? I think it's really cool since you can walk under the bridge to the other side. It's not a barrier...is it ? Bec. I've never visited it firsthand. I think a nice little minor league baseball stadium would go well with new hotel development. A nice mid-rise 9-story condo would top-it-off nicely.

^A definite must-see next time I'm in the SBC area ! :thumbsup: That's one BIG development. I am glad the risk was taken. That type of "Out-the-Box" thinking is what Louisiana needs. I am glad Bossier was bold enough to go for it ! Brian, just curious...what's your opinion with the Texas Street Bridge that runs thru the middle of the Boardwalk ? I think it's really cool since you can walk under the bridge to the other side. It's not a barrier...is it ? Bec. I've never visited it firsthand. I think a nice little minor league baseball stadium would go well with new hotel development. A nice mid-rise 9-story condo would top-it-off nicely.

Oh no, it's not a barrier at all. You really don't even notice the bridge as you go around the property, once you've gotten used to it. All you see are huge concrete supports, and they've been integrated into the design of the property. In one case, the main public restrooms are built under the bridge, and in another area there are Coke and ice cream machines up against the bridge supports. Also, the interactive fountain for children is right under the bridge. If anything, the bridge actually helps by giving a nice, shaded area in the middle of the project. Also when it starts raining, you can stand underneath the bridge and be fine.

Yeah a condo development would be very nice down there. Initially a 10-12 story hotel was planned to be built next to Bass Pro, but there hasn't been any mention of that in a while.

Oh no, it's not a barrier at all. You really don't even notice the bridge as you go around the property, once you've gotten used to it. All you see are huge concrete supports, and they've been integrated into the design of the property. In one case, the main public restrooms are built under the bridge, and in another area there are Coke and ice cream machines up against the bridge supports. Also, the interactive fountain for children is right under the bridge. If anything, the bridge actually helps by giving a nice, shaded area in the middle of the project. Also when it starts raining, you can stand underneath the bridge and be fine.

Yeah a condo development would be very nice down there. Initially a 10-12 story hotel was planned to be built next to Bass Pro, but there hasn't been any mention of that in a while.

gonnabe posting lots more.. my wife got me a new camera for my birthday :)

You know, if you just take step back and look at it, the Louisiana Boardwalk is an incredible development... and it would be for any city. Even The Grove here in Los Angeles (which the Louisiana Boardwalk was actually designed to emulate) is only about half the size. I'm thinking about flying in for a few days for the bridge design competition in late Sept/early Oct. I can't wait to see all of the changes there. Maybe Copeland's Cheesecake Bistro will finally be open by then. :D

gonnabe posting lots more.. my wife got me a new camera for my birthday :)

Good to hear back from you, woob! What kind of camera did you get? I recently got a Canon Digital Rebel XT, and I've taken well over 1,000 photos since I got it! :D New cameras are exciting, especially when you live in a city with a lot of places and things to photograph.

I hope you will definitely share your photos here, because I will deifnitely be interested in seeing them!

Good to hear back from you, woob! What kind of camera did you get? I recently got a Canon Digital Rebel XT, and I've taken well over 1,000 photos since I got it! :D New cameras are exciting, especially when you live in a city with a lot of places and things to photograph.

I hope you will definitely share your photos here, because I will deifnitely be interested in seeing them!

I got a Olympus evolt E-500 it was a bargain deal pretty much came with a couple of lens and things.. The canon rebel has always been the camera of my dreams.. got the olympus because it's the camera for the money it's rugged and easy to operate for newbies like myself..

You know, if you just take step back and look at it, the Louisiana Boardwalk is an incredible development... and it would be for any city. Even The Grove here in Los Angeles (which the Louisiana Boardwalk was actually designed to emulate) is only about half the size. I'm thinking about flying in for a few days for the bridge design competition in late Sept/early Oct. I can't wait to see all of the changes there. Maybe Copeland's Cheesecake Bistro will finally be open by then. :D

It certainly is. I watched in anticipation as the design changed over time, and as new tenants joined the perspective lineup. I even got discouraged from time to time when certain tenants, like Johnny Rockets, were bumped off the list. That one even still bothers me... I LOVE Johnny Rockets and was looking forward to having one here!!

But anyway, I've looked through the site of The Grove many times since I'd first seen the Times report that it was one of the inspirations for this project. That is an astounding property and I hoped that the Boardwalk could be even half as nice. And I think I got my wish. :) For a property mostly based on outlet shopping, the Boardwalk is one impressive property.

By the way, since I dropped out of the bridge competition and no longer have my own design to push, I'm rooting for you!! How exciting would that be, to know someone who posts on here won? Even still, the fact that you've gone this far with it is awesome. I can't wait to see your design when it's time for you to show it off.

Archived