Random Shreveport

woob

I got a Olympus evolt E-500 it was a bargain deal pretty much came with a couple of lens and things.. The canon rebel has always been the camera of my dreams.. got the olympus because it's the camera for the money it's rugged and easy to operate for newbies like myself..

I just looked up that camera and it's VERY nice! It's very similar to the Rebel XT and the same price as well. Plus I've always heard Olympus makes great cameras.

So you're a DSLR newbie like myself. Very cool... enjoy!!! :) It's SO much fun experimenting with DSLR photography!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It certainly is. I watched in anticipation as the design changed over time, and as new tenants joined the perspective lineup. I even got discouraged from time to time when certain tenants, like Johnny Rockets, were bumped off the list. That one even still bothers me... I LOVE Johnny Rockets and was looking forward to having one here!!

But anyway, I've looked through the site of The Grove many times since I'd first seen the Times report that it was one of the inspirations for this project. That is an astounding property and I hoped that the Boardwalk could be even half as nice. And I think I got my wish. :) For a property mostly based on outlet shopping, the Boardwalk is one impressive property.

By the way, since I dropped out of the bridge competition and no longer have my own design to push, I'm rooting for you!! How exciting would that be, to know someone who posts on here won? Even still, the fact that you've gone this far with it is awesome. I can't wait to see your design when it's time for you to show it off.

The Grove is very nice, but it's small. I've been going there a lot on the weekends to see movies... it's just a madhouse of people. I honestly prefer the boardwalk... it has the city view across the river and it's just a more pleasant experience. They're actually very similar though.

Thanks for the support with the bridge design. I'm proud to say that it's coming along much better than I anticipated. I have four perspectives already layed out and drawn. I've been working with an artist to get them just right. The next step is finishing them in Photoshop. This is my speciality, so I'm hoping I can pull it off. I think the most difficult part will be illustrating the lighting design and colors for the "night view".

For the design itself... I think it's very strong, unique, and "iconic". I'll give you guys a hint... one of my favorite architects is Frank Gehry. :D

The Grove is very nice, but it's small. I've been going there a lot on the weekends to see movies... it's just a madhouse of people. I honestly prefer the boardwalk... it has the city view across the river and it's just a more pleasant experience. They're actually very similar though.

Thanks for the support with the bridge design. I'm proud to say that it's coming along much better than I anticipated. I have four perspectives already layed out and drawn. I've been working with an artist to get them just right. The next step is finishing them in Photoshop. This is my speciality, so I'm hoping I can pull it off. I think the most difficult part will be illustrating the lighting design and colors for the "night view".

For the design itself... I think it's very strong, unique, and "iconic". I'll give you guys a hint... one of my favorite architects is Frank Gehry. :D

You know, I believe Mith242 likes Frank Gehry as well. At least I think I recall him having posted that before.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll do great with your design. Something iconic is definitely needed. The Texas Street Bridge, itself, is just another bridge. At night, however, it's iconic when the neon is all lit. If we had another structure next to it that was iconic both day and night, that would be excellent.

You know, I believe Mith242 likes Frank Gehry as well. At least I think I recall him having posted that before.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll do great with your design. Something iconic is definitely needed. The Texas Street Bridge, itself, is just another bridge. At night, however, it's iconic when the neon is all lit. If we had another structure next to it that was iconic both day and night, that would be excellent.

I also admire Santiago Calatrava - well, at least his building designs, even though he's made a huge career designing bridges.

What do you guys think the chances are of the city actually building a pedestrian bridge? Is the Shreve Times only sponsoring this contest to garner public interest? Has there been any some movement to allocate funds from the city? I think the Urban Land Institute's report labeled this project as a high priority for SBC. I hope something comes of it.

I also admire Santiago Calatrava - well, at least his building designs, even though he's made a huge career designing bridges.

What do you guys think the chances are of the city actually building a pedestrian bridge? Is the Shreve Times only sponsoring this contest to garner public interest? Has there been any some movement to allocate funds from the city? I think the Urban Land Institute's report labeled this project as a high priority for SBC. I hope something comes of it.

I haven't heard any talk of any actual funding, so I do believe it's just to garner support. But that's good, because once the talk of the new bridge really heats up, I believe they'll seek the funding. I think everyone wants to see something built there, including leaders on BOTH sides of the river.

I haven't heard any talk of any actual funding, so I do believe it's just to harner support. But that's good, because once the talk of the new bridge really heats up, I believe they'll seek the funding. I think everyone wants to see something built there, including leaders on BOTH sides of the river.

Good point and I agree. Since both sides would benefit, they would split the bill. That should make it appear more affordable, and therefore more feasible.

Good point and I agree. Since both sides would benefit, they would split the bill. That should make it appear more affordable, and therefore more feasible.

I just realized I said "harner" support. Wow, I make some typos! :D

I'm betting there could even be some Corps of Engineers funding involved since it spans the Red River. But who knows...

Who know that Shreveport used to have an old streetcar rail line?! It would be incredible if the city would invest in refurbishing this as a means of public transportation:

Shreveport lawyer stumbles upon city's past

I knew about it. ;) My mother talks about it from time to time. Being under 30 myself, I didn't get a chance to see it but I've heard a lot of great things about it. Thanks for posting that article! I'm jealous I didn't get photos before the tracks were paved back over. :)

I think sometimes we tend to forget one other nice feature we have in our own backyard: Red River Raceway, the NHRA drag strip located in Gilliam, but often referred to on the circuit as "the drag strip in Shreveport."

Red River Raceway used to be an IHRA track, and while I'm not quite sure when the transformation to NHRA took place, upgrading to NHRA is awesome!

Looking at their schedule, there's ALWAYS something going on out at Red River!

http://www.redriverraceway.net/

That doesn't surprise me at all.

Since El Dorado just bought the district the city can finally be glad to get that albatross of it's neck.

The only successfull business still operating is the Funny Bone and maybe a complete change of ownership is what is needed.

Gotta run,

Mudbugger

hey guys tried out my camera for the first time yesterday.. yeah I think I had picture size and compressin issues HA!!! but the B52 pictures turned out great compared to :tough: what I'm used to... a 3.2 CANON digital elph... upgraded to a OLYMPUS EVOLT E500..

heres some pics more shreveport bossier ones coming soon!

http://community.webshots.com/myphotos?act...security=DeQJfC

Awesome pictures, woob! You're quite a photographer, man! :thumbsup:

I really liked all of them, epsecially the skyline, planes, and fountains. This one was one of my favorites as well:

2085584490094185049uzjcMm_ph.jpg

^Is that the Texas Street bridge in the Louisiana Boardwalk?

Awesome pictures, woob! You're quite a photographer, man! :thumbsup:

I really liked all of them, epsecially the skyline, planes, and fountains. This one was one of my favorites as well:

2085584490094185049uzjcMm_ph.jpg

^Is that the Texas Street bridge in the Louisiana Boardwalk?

thats actually the Jimmy Davis bridge on the Shreveport side.

thats actually the Jimmy Davis bridge on the Shreveport side.

Oh ok, thanks. I really had no idea, but the buildings around the bridge seemed like they fit in with what I've seen of the Louisiana Boardwalk.

Oh ok, thanks. I really had no idea, but the buildings around the bridge seemed like they fit in with what I've seen of the Louisiana Boardwalk.

Wait... isn't that the Texas Street bridge through the Red River District?

Nice photos by the way. Thanks for sharing.

Ah, ok, so I was half right! :D

You were very close, especially considering the Red River District has newer buildings and a brick "street" under the bridge like the Boardwalk. And considering you've never actually visited either spot, it certainly wasn't a bad guess.

I'm still marveling over woob's photos. For it being his first trip out with his new camera, they are remarkable - particularly the airplane photos. When those things take off, they're going SO fast. I will say, today as I drove down I-20 and saw a B-52 right overhead getting ready to land (the base is maybe 1/4-mile off the interstate) I SO wanted to get that picture but I neither wanted to stop, nor had my camera with me. Maybe another time.

Anyway, again... great job, woob.

Yep, sure is... Texas Street Bridge through the Red River District.

Woob... AWESOME job!! I'm looking forward to the rest.

By the way, are you in the Air Force? If not, did you take the B-52 photos from Mike Woods Park?

Yeah MIKE WOODS PARK! I just walked past a barbed wire fence haha that had no tresspassing on it... but I think lots of folks go there.. theres a good trail to the end of the runway!

Archived