Digging Downtown?

BoylanHghts

I just picked up the new Independent this evening and was pleasantly surprised to see a cover story about the development going on in downtown Raleigh. I encourage everyone to pick up a copy. You can also read it on there website.

"Downtown Raleigh, a joke more than a location for the last 30 years, is rumbling back to life at last. With each new hole in the ground, the sound is building to a roar. The city counts nearly $1 billion in public and private investment either under way downtown or starting soon."

http://www.indyweek.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid%3A29165

Most of the info is nothing new to folks that fequent this place, but it's an interesting read none the less. It does sound like the chandeliers may be losing support.

"What about the controversial dichroic chandeliers? They were in, now they appear to be on their way out."

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

didn't bob geary write that article? since he has been against the chandeliers from the beginning, i am not sure i would believe that entirely. i had heard that they were more than likely headed for approval, with some possible tweaking. the thing that makes me think they may not get approved is that they are dichroic glass, like the time + light tower, and that piece of course did not go over so well. it won't be the end of the world to me if they don't get approved, i just thought they were kind of cool, and since they would be placed at the intersections, would do a good job of letting people know they were in a special place. i suppose the same could be done with tasteful (boring) gas lamps that everyone seems so hell-bent on putting up.

Yep I agree those gas lamps the typical black ones are boring as all. The city needs to add some spark to the city in my opinion and the light shifting glass would be a great addition. But it is amazing what has changed in just the last couple of years downtown. And in 2008 camera crews will be hard at work getting some new postcards created with our new Skyline. I love it.

Thanks for the link! I'm telling people that because the retail culture in America has drastically changed since the 50's, a restoration of F-St to "classic" conditions will probably only restore the deadness that it was in the 70's.

We need to make the street different in order for it to attract people over the Southpoints, North Hills, and even Glenwoods of the world. Traditional lanterns and a non-descript sculpture or fountain would not achieve the distinction we need, and two pretty buildings bookending F-St won't quite do it either.

Fayetteville Street needs to be a "destination" for people just like Glenwood Ave. South. This will be the only way it will be a success. I'm being optimistic that they will get the development in the area, but there will be some competition from Glenwood for where to go. We will have to wait and see.

Thanks for the link! I'm telling people that because the retail culture in America has drastically changed since the 50's, a restoration of F-St to "classic" conditions will probably only restore the deadness that it was in the 70's.

We need to make the street different in order for it to attract people over the Southpoints, North Hills, and even Glenwoods of the world. Traditional lanterns and a non-descript sculpture or fountain would not achieve the distinction we need, and two pretty buildings bookending F-St won't quite do it either.

I like that approach......can I use it...I will pay copyright fees of course :)

The southern face of the capitol should be renovated to include columns and a grand entrance, to mirror the progress energy center. It could be mostly cosmetic; we don't use the building for much now.

No way! It is an historic structure, such a change would totally destroy the integrity of the existing building. Below is the floor plan, as you can see the entrys are located on the east and west sides where the existing columned porticos are located (north is to the right side of the drawing). Porticos are used to indicate entry, like a front porch....something you walk through as you enter or exit the building. So, after you go through the portico, you enter the entry hall and then the center of the rotunda. You'll also notice that the north and south wings house the meeting chambers. These are accessed by way of the rotunda.

Essentially, adding a portico to the south wing would be for no other reason than decoration. It would just be dressing added to the face of the south wing with no real purpose.

61img6bl.jpg

The southern face of the capitol should be renovated to include columns and a grand entrance, to mirror the progress energy center. It could be mostly cosmetic; we don't use the building for much now.
I agree with BoylanHghts, although, I presume you're being facetious.

I doubt many people would really want to modify a building constructed in 1840 just so it cosmetically "matches" Memorial Auditorium.

Yeah, the NC Capitol is one of the more modest in the nation, but I think it's looks just fine. In a lot of ways it matches NC's modest, populist, rural roots.

And it is one of the only greek revival capitals in the country. Modest indeed, but from what I have read it is well recognized.

Archived