Beachwood Place

Temeteron

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I find it weird that the whole state of Ohio lacks luxury retail....Charlotte which is smaller than Cleveland has more to offer....we have Burberry, Louis Vuitton, Kenneth Cole, St. John, Kate Spade, and we're getting a Neiman marcus, I guess the demographics arent that good in Cleveland.....and from what I understand it's losing population

Well you got to remember Charlotte is a high growth banking center. Cincinnati has a Kenneth Cole. Cleveland used to have Barney's Versace, Fendi and a few others and all closed not because of poor sales, but because of internal problems with the chains as a whole and problems with the Franchisors. We also have Nordstrom and Saks Fifth Avenue and that store has Chanel and LV boutiques inside it. I wonder though how St Louis (2.7 million versus Cleveland's 2.9 million) has those upscale luxury stores yet Northeast Ohio doesn't.

^^the Cleveland-Pittsburgh corridor as a whole is really stepping up with the addition of Nordstroms at RossPark (on the road to Cleveland) a Nordstrom's in Cleveland since 97 and Nieman Marcus sniffing around the region as a whole is attracting some great retailers of late.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

um Orlando has waaaaaaay more tourists than Charlotte dont forget

.....and you don't see that many tourists at the upscale retailers in Orlando! They prefer the outlet malls and they don't venture much up in to the city where most of the upscale shopping is located. Also, every city with upscale retail attracts "tourists" from probably a 300-500 mile radius for a weekend of shopping. Tourists go to NYC to shop, Atlanta, Miami, LA, Houston, etc. Charlotte's proximity to Atlanta may keep some upscale retailers away, but then again, Orlando is in close proximity to Miami and Tampa (although Tampa's retail is not much better than Charlotte's.) Do you think tourists are going to carry furniture from IKEA on an airplane? When shopping at "the Mall at Millenia" in Orlando, you scarcely see people dressed in tourist garb. You see lots of trendy locals that pack the restaurants and the mall. "Blue Martini" is a very popular local nightspot where you can check out the "beautiful people." Also tourists rarely venture in to Winter Park's Park Avenue and Winter Park Village. Sorry, but Orlando just has that urban "electricity" for trendy shopping and dining. SORRY CLEVELAND, this is your thread, didn't mean to dominate...it's just no mattter where you go you can't escape these Charlotte people, who for some reason thinks the state who kept Jesse Helms in office all those years is some progressive hot spot....

• 3 weeks later...

.....and you don't see that many tourists at the upscale retailers in Orlando! They prefer the outlet malls and they don't venture much up in to the city where most of the upscale shopping is located. Also, every city with upscale retail attracts "tourists" from probably a 300-500 mile radius for a weekend of shopping. Tourists go to NYC to shop, Atlanta, Miami, LA, Houston, etc. Charlotte's proximity to Atlanta may keep some upscale retailers away, but then again, Orlando is in close proximity to Miami and Tampa (although Tampa's retail is not much better than Charlotte's.) Do you think tourists are going to carry furniture from IKEA on an airplane? When shopping at "the Mall at Millenia" in Orlando, you scarcely see people dressed in tourist garb. You see lots of trendy locals that pack the restaurants and the mall. "Blue Martini" is a very popular local nightspot where you can check out the "beautiful people." Also tourists rarely venture in to Winter Park's Park Avenue and Winter Park Village. Sorry, but Orlando just has that urban "electricity" for trendy shopping and dining. SORRY CLEVELAND, this is your thread, didn't mean to dominate...it's just no mattter where you go you can't escape these Charlotte people, who for some reason thinks the state who kept Jesse Helms in office all those years is some progressive hot spot....

Actually it is a progressive hot spot....and ACTUALLY Cleveland is a Degressive spot....if you hadnt noticed the population statistics lately......anyways this is way off topic......

Actually it is a progressive hot spot....and ACTUALLY Cleveland is a Degressive spot....if you hadnt noticed the population statistics lately......anyways this is way off topic......

^Temeteron if you knew anything about Cleveland you would know that it is again starting to progress nicely. The population may be dipping, but the people moving in are better educated and wealthier. There are tons of new projects under construction that will transform the city and help return it to its former glory. Charlotte is the city that has to catch up with us. You all are the ones just now getting light rail (we've had it for 80 years), you all have a population of 2.1 million we have nearly three million. You all are just getting luxury department stores, we've had Saks for 30 yrs and Halle's (Cleveland's Neiman Marcus) even longer, though they closed in the early '80's. I applaud cities like Charlotte, for annexing and preserving their tax base as well as keeping a clean city, but Cleveland is not just watching itsself erode, it is gentrifying and reinventing itsself. Just don't throw around that word degressive so loosely, especially when you don't know the half. -out.

^Temeteron if you knew anything about Cleveland you would know that it is again starting to progress nicely. The population may be dipping, but the people moving in are better educated and wealthier. There are tons of new projects under construction that will transform the city and help return it to its former glory. Charlotte is the city that has to catch up with us. You all are the ones just now getting light rail (we've had it for 80 years), you all have a population of 2.1 million we have nearly three million. You all are just getting luxury department stores, we've had Saks for 30 yrs and Halle's (Cleveland's Neiman Marcus) even longer, though they closed in the early '80's. I applaud cities like Charlotte, for annexing and preserving their tax base as well as keeping a clean city, but Cleveland is not just watching itsself erode, it is gentrifying and reinventing itsself. Just don't throw around that word degressive so loosely, especially when you don't know the half. -out.

I spent 3 years in the mid 80's in Dayton, Ohio while in the military. I traveled to Cleveland often, at least once per month. I know times were hard at that time, but I always enjoyed the feeling of being in a large city. Being from Orlando and at that time Orlando's population was just 727,000, there was no comparison between the two cities, Clevelend was a true large city and you could feel the vibe. Columbus was nice but very generic and Cincinatti, while interesting being situated on the river with the hills and architecture had too much of a conservative edge to it that didn't jive well with the big city image, Cleveland was always my favorite city in the Buckeye State. In the Midwest at that time, only Chicago outdid Cleveland but we're talking the USA's 2nd largest city at that time. Detroit did nothing for me, Indianapolis was and always will be at the heart of the most boring state in the nation. Pittsburgh was cool, but wasn't Cleveland and St. Louis had its good points but Cleveland still topped that place. Cleveland had that "gotham" or "metropolis" feel to it. Even though it was in the Midwest, you could see and feel a sense of fashion there that other Midwestern cities lacked (except Chicago) and there were actual upscale retailers in the city. So you keep it up Cleveland, there is hope for you still. You have many eclectic and educated residents even now and I believe a little population loss won't hurt in the long run, as long as you keep the pride. My Orlando is now rapidly approaching 2.2 million residents and is surely destined to become one of the great cities of the 21st century. It is becoming the hub of Central Florida with a population approaching 8,000,000 including the cities of Tampa/St. Petersburg and outshining Jacksonville as well. Metro Orlando itself is projected to reach 7,000,000 by 2030 and is one of the few cities in the country that is growing rapidly in population in the downtown area with high income residents. 40,000 in the past five years! And the ethnic diversity as well as the most liberal population along the I-4 corridor is really shaping things up. We will keep our eye on Cleveland and wish you the best, I'm sure out of anywhere in Ohio, Cleveland is poised for a comeback! Best of Luck Cleveland!!

I agree metrowester I like Columbus, but it seems to be a small town trying to become a big city, but is not quite there yet. Cincinnati is fairly large, but there still seems to be something missing. Then Cleveland with all the wide avenues, tall towers, rail transit, Coastline, large apartments, nightlife and sports it gives off a big city aura. People have been sleeping on Cleveland since about the late 1970's, but mark my words 2008 will be the start of Cleveland's return to Prime time.

Archived