Somerset Collection

Temeteron

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hudkina youve only been to downtown southeast Michigan once or twice? Wow you havent lived.

Hmmmm how to improve Somerset.......besides tearing it down im not quite sure. I cant stand that place because its always packed and because a great number of the people who shop there are stuck up. If I have to shop at a mall, i try to avoid at all costs because i dispise malls, I usually go to Great Lakes Crossing. You get a wider range of people and it just doesnt cater to the people who got a lot of extra coin to spend.

Hudkina youve only been to downtown southeast Michigan once or twice? Wow you havent lived.

Hmmmm how to improve Somerset.......besides tearing it down im not quite sure. I cant stand that place because its always packed and because a great number of the people who shop there are stuck up. If I have to shop at a mall, i try to avoid at all costs because i dispise malls, I usually go to Great Lakes Crossing. You get a wider range of people and it just doesnt cater to the people who got a lot of extra coin to spend.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I'm not trying to start the whole "is detroit ready for major downtown retail" debate, but it's a question that could be asked here...Does somerset take away from the possibility of one of these major retail names opening a downtown Detroit location? I'm not very well versed in the retail business world, so I have no clue what the logic behind this would be.

Well, it seems people are tossing in social aspects of the population which aren't an accurately way to describe how the mall (the structure) can improve itself. Yes, I agree that the majority of the population who shops there is stuck up, and yes the prices there are much higher even at the same stores that you'd find elsewhere, but here are my opinions about the mall.

From a completely unbiased standpoint of relating the mall to Michigan's downtowns, Somerest is arguably the best shopping mall in existence in Michigan.

Reason 1, it isn't completely surrounded by by huge parking like every other mall. It also has a parking structure. It isn't a new urbanist dream, but it approaches the idea that malls don't have to be surrounded by a sea of parking lots.

Reason 2, the inside is just downright beautiful. Marble floors, towering glass domes bring back a nostalgia of retail arcades from long ago. No argument, this mall has historical European implications. Yes it's contemporary, but it formally relates.

Reason 3, it isn't generic. The stores almost seem permanent fixtures there. They go a long way to make their units have impressive designs. It's hard to find that quality at other malls.

Reason 4, The mall uses quality materials. Just go there and witness it. This isn't cheaply done.

Therefore, from an architectural standpoint, Somerset is pretty good for the program it fits. It could do better as far being less suburban and embracing street frontage. But what suburban mall does that? It blows other malls that are absolute architectural disasters out of the water. Great Lakes Crossings, is by far the worst mall in terms of architecture I've ever been in. GLC is supposed to be an imitation of Michigan's Heritage. What? For your false enjoyment, they clad everythign in cheap EIFS!!

From a social standpoint, yes I shop at GLC, and yes I enjoy it.

I rarely go to any mall, but when I do the only ones I go to are Southland and Frenchtown, e.g. the "redneck" malls.;) Sometimes I go to Fairlane, but I haven't been there in months. I've been to Great Lakes Crossing a handful of times, and I went to Laurel Park Place in Livonia once (though I hardly consider that a mall). I've also been to Briarwood in Ann Arbor once or twice.

I did go into Somerset a couple of times. I had to take a photo for a project I was working on. I never have actually purchased anything there though...it's not my kind of place. I tend to avoid malls. When I do go to the mall, it's usually Northland, although from my experience, it's mostly shoe stores in there. :lol:

I love how they call it a "collection." lol I think I'll start calling metropolitan Lansing's east shopping mall (Meridian Mall), the "Meridiane Collection." You've got to add the fake French e for effect. lol

I've never been, but every metropolitan that doesn't have a Rodeo Drive or 5th Avenue needs a mall for the wealthy. :)

Does that mean strip malls are actually strip collections?

Wolverine: I'm assuming any expansion would have to happen over where the former K-Mart HQ is. Just build another pedestrian walkway and it works. It would be difficult to expand towards Big Beaver since the giant department stores anchor those corners.

Somerset is nice on the inside, but on the outside it's just a huge box of wall with a huge parking garage on the back side.

I like the skywalk that connects the two parts, but it is definately too snoody for my tastes. If you're dressed any bit like a normal human being there, people will stare you down. The teens are the most annoying. Just people watching them makes you want to stick a rag in their hands, drop them to their knees and say, "start scrubbing!" ;)

HA! Notice their map doesn't even list Detroit. The directions on the directions page not once mentions the word Detroit. How pathetic.

http://www.thesomersetcollection.com/directions.asp#

I'm not trying to start the whole "is detroit ready for major downtown retail" debate, but it's a question that could be asked here...Does somerset take away from the possibility of one of these major retail names opening a downtown Detroit location? I'm not very well versed in the retail business world, so I have no clue what the logic behind this would be.

Major retailers do extensive studies to decide where to place their stores. They look at such things as traffic counts at the major crossroads nearby, household income, median age, number of households, population within what they consider their market draw range to be and which other retailers are in that range. The market range varies by retailer or product type being offered.

I don't feel that Somerset takes away anything from Downtown Detroit. The Somerset Collection is a destination point. People are willing to drive an hour there and back. If the occupancy levels rise on the residental properties and the household income levels are in the higher range, retailers will come.

And I've only been to The Somerset Collection once. It's not for me, but apparently there's a need for it, it's doing well...so more power to it.

Anyone think to ask why someone from Charlotte, NC would be curious about the store makeup of a mall in Troy? :huh: And probably the nicest mall in the Midwest at that?

No, I don't think it's odd.

We just had a ton of visitors from all over the world because of the Auto Show, the Super Bowl, and there are a lot of corporate headquarters located in Oakland County who have employees from all over the world who have to visit HQ every now and then.

Besides Oakland County is among the wealthiest counties in the country. If someone were researching the development of this type of a commercial property, I think The Somerset Collection would be a good place to start.

Not everyone who frequents the various forums are hobbyists; some are actually involved in the commercial real estate industry in varying degrees. This person could just be looking for some feedback for The Somerset Collection, which I don't see any harm in if they are.

I think it's refreshing to see new posters around here every now and then; no offense but it gets stale when the same folks post in the same forums all the time. It's good to get insight from others, even if they're "outsiders".

From your post it appears you read more into the remarks and questions than what I see.

Here's what was said

"What are your thoughts about the mall, how can it improve? Stores you would like added? Stores you would like gone??"

And to respond to this post...I have only been to this mall once. I live and work too far away to shop there.

Haha, Somerset isn't my style either. Baggy jeans, hoodie, some new balance shoes, and a Detroit hat are my ticket to Northland. The same goes for my friends, so we kind of avoid it. But even the most fashionably dressed will admit Somerset is pretty stuck up. But I think Michigan needs Somerset. It may not help the city of Detroit, but it does help the state by at least attracting residents who may find Troy a good place to live. Those people may even discover Detroit as great place to visit, and spend money there. Even the smallest bit helps. Yeah, I took it a bit far there, but I hope people see where I'm going.

Somerset is realy one of the most upscale malls I've ever been to. I've been to some pretty swank malls and department stores in New York, Chicago, and L.A, but still didn't see the kind of atmosphere Somerset breeds.

But I have to say, anytime I go there you'll be seeing me wearing a fresh polo and some nice jeans and my best Pumas. That's just enough to tip me over the edge to their status. And NO I will not pop that collar!!

I would probably never have any reason to shop their, myself, but just as an area needs shopping for lower income persons, it also needs shopping for the wealthy. I don't think anyone has to like it, to also believe that it is also a necessity. And if downtown Detroit had an upscale shopping district, I'm sure some would still be complaining that it was for the rich. You're never going to please everyone. Not everyone wants to shop at a Northland-type establishment, nor does everyone want to shop at a Somerset-type establishment. There is room enough to all.

Hehe. That's so great. I will admit I do the same thing when it comes to amusement parks. I've saved the park map for every single amusement park I've been to since the mid 90's. I've got like 30 different maps! Granted, a lot of them are from Cedar Point over the years...;)

Archived