Somerset Collection

Temeteron

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

not really trying to add to the speculative dirtyness of this conversation, but my Ex-girlfriends name is Jenifer Bush She lived off of Big Beaver Rd. It was always a big joke taking exit-69 on Big Beaver, to get to the Bushes.

You have to enjoy the perfect coincidence of Big Beaver Rd. being 69 miles on I-75 from the Michigan-Ohio border.

not really trying to add to the speculative dirtyness of this conversation, but my Ex-girlfriends name is Jenifer Bush She lived off of Big Beaver Rd. It was always a big joke taking exit-69 on Big Beaver, to get to the Bushes.

You have to enjoy the perfect coincidence of Big Beaver Rd. being 69 miles on I-75 from the Michigan-Ohio border.

This is the funnist thread of the night. :rofl:

God that's funny. This conversation has gotten way :offtopic: and maybe a little out of hand. Funny stuff anyway.

The posh gets posher

As long as we keep the center exclusive, give customers what they are looking for, and stay true to our philosophy of how we lease and market the center, I feel really good about our business growing."

Perhaps they should place bouncers at the entrances to decide who is and who isn't allowed entry.

• 2 weeks later...

that would be counterproductive to our overall goal of building urban villages...Trapper's Alley didn't work nor did the RenCen to spark development because they didnt make sense in their urban context, isolated development doesnt work. Before we can have big projects we need to establish the appropriate contexts to make them successful

• 4 weeks later...

Wolverine has eaten at somerset 4 times in this past month. Only because two of my friends live in Troy and we were on our way to the Palace. So kill me, but the meal was only $5.49 at the Bourbon St. Grill. That's the same price as a tiny scoop of ice cream in the unit next to it. Don't worry though, I wasn't paying much attention accidentally threw my tray in the garbage.....that oughta set them behind financially.

For real though, Somerset is just appealing to a market, and it works pretty well. As far as Somerset's plans for expansion. I know hardly anything about it, other than the old K-Mart headquarters is still standing.

BTW, I had lunch at Eastland last week. The mall's aight.........if you need shoes......same goes for Northland.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Can't believe I missed this thread.

I think its interesting how different parts of the country view collections, er, malls. Temerton comes in hungry for information. Detroiters are dumbfounded, asking why someone from Charlotte would wanna know about a mall.

As a Detroiter, I've made it to a mall a grand total of two times, (in the Christmas seasons) because we never had the money to throw around when I was a kid. Eastland I think. I noticed how psyched young Detroiters were when they prepared their trips to the mall, whether it was getting their hair 'did', dressing to impress, you know the drill. Nobody I ever knew has ever been to Somerset. We were too far down the food chain.

Anyways, you are lucky that you made this thread in Urban Planet and not detroit.com. If you are familiar with it, then you should know how anti-urban things are frowned upon. Bunch of bitter old coots who are against anything that is big box, non-storefront, unwalkable, etc. It's ridiculous because this hate for boxed stuff is the reason why Detroit fails as a retail market (because wig and liquor shops are the way to go, right?). The older population is stuck in the days when everything was walkable and urban.

News flash! As a whole, Detroit is not urban. This is the motor city after all. And I think that Detroit needs to support these kind of developments. You shoulda seen the reaction when it was announced that Detroit was getting a Staples. Personally, I believe that any retail is good retail when it comes to Detroit. So why not show support with what we are given?

Now on the other hand, out west, shopping malls are THE place to be (and down south, Temerton :lol: ). I'll take a shopping mall any day of the week over something like this...

http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&amp...p;scene=3776914 (sorry, i suck at screencaps)

...where I'm forced to walk to all these different places in 110 degree heat/or start the car whenever i wanna make it to a different store. Here are the malls of Las Vegas.

Galleria Mall at Sunset (the Henderson mall; extremely suburban, always packed, huge, much too "skater/fake skater/chicks that like [fake] skaters" for me)

http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&amp...p;scene=3776914

Boulevard Mall (where I go slummin' :shades: , rougher area [close to the Wynn], diverse demographic, the "urban" mall of Las Vegas, 600 yards from N to S poles)

http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&amp...mp;scene=300299

Fashion Show Mall (This one is different, its actually more of a tourist draw than a regular visit for the residents. Contains some of the rarer shops in Vegas [The only "Apple" in the valley], swanky, 3 stories)

Main entrance

fashion_show_mall.jpg

other shots

FashionShowMall.jpg

122-2244_IMG.jpg

00000071.JPG

There are more malls, but I don't wanna clog this thread.

Also, another monster in the making also has to be Franklin Park Mall in Toledo (or Westfield, whatever the ever its called now). Anyway, it has expanded like hell in the past 3 years, adding movie theaters, extra stores etc. Ever since Westfield took over, that part of West Toledo have become "Downtown NW Ohio". Seriously, its clogged from dawn to dusk.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe Club Monaco is opening at Somerset, or has already opened. Read about it a little bit back. Somerset Collection has a very beautiful interior for a mall (favorite interior is probably Forum Shops at Caesars Palace.) As much as I like Fashion Show...Forum Shops is still more unique and nicer.

Heh, I dont think you all realize that Somerset Collection (if dividing US in half horizontally) is the most famous mall in the us between King of Prussia in PA and Westfield Valley Fair in Santa Clara. :) Basically the entire midwest and much of thte mountain states.

Driving past it a week ago, I was trying to figure out how exactly they are going to connect the addition on without building through the Nordstrom....although I'm sure Nordstrom wouldl welcome that idea of having people circulated through the store, even if they are just passing through.

Not much activity out there. The K-Mart headquarters is still standing.

• 5 months later...

Are you serious man, I love detroit to death too, but you can't be that way. Where do you buy you're clothes seriously. Last thing I heard, Detroit hasn't a single descent clothing store. Sorry.

Maybe we'll have 50,000 residents in downtown detroit soon, so we can get a Macy's (plus more). At that point, I'll never set foot in any of our great suburban malls.

Archived