Somerset Collection

Temeteron

I live in Detroit and do 99% of my shopping in the city. It is possible, it's just not easy to do all the time. People always complain about all the dollar stores and drug stores that are built in the city, but most people don't realize that we have to do a lot of our shopping there because we don't have a choice.

By far the biggest problem is that there's not a single good grocery store anywhere near where I live. I swear, all the half rotted vegetables and fruits from suburban stores get sent to Detroit stores and put on the shelves for us Detroiters to buy. It is very inconvenient to drive out to the suburbs to buy decent food, and not everyone can go to Eastern Market on Saturdays.

It is possible to buy clothes in the city, you just have to know where to look. We don't have all the places that the suburban malls have, but there are other choices. That said, we could use a much better selection when it comes to that stuff.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Allen. I understand and agree with you. Suburbs can be far to get to. But my post goes to the folks that wanna have nothing to do with the suburbs, not people that can't get there. There are some folks that can't stand the suburbs and dont' wanna be assosciated with them. For example, Some people on this forum were celebrating when the troy condominum project was scrapped. This is stupid. Any development that stalls anywhere in michigan should be a tragedy. I see alot of ignorance in this forum. The suburbs are not your're enemy. We're trying work together and improve our relations, not worsen the already bad sitiuation.

Thanks Allen. I understand and agree with you. Suburbs can be far to get to. But my post goes to the folks that wanna have nothing to do with the suburbs, not people that can't get there. There are some folks that can't stand the suburbs and dont' wanna be assosciated with them. For example, Some people on this forum were celebrating when the troy condominum project was scrapped. This is stupid. Any development that stalls anywhere in michigan should be a tragedy. I see alot of ignorance in this forum. The suburbs are not your're enemy. We're trying work together and improve our relations, not worsen the already bad sitiuation.

Did he lose abilities to post because he said there was a lot of ignorance on this forum? I may not agree with what hes saying but that doesnt seem like something altogether that bad to get booted. Just my oppinion though.

In terms of what he said...well I dont agree. I cant stand the suburbs and I live minutes away from Troy where the proposed condo was cancelled. I was happy to hear the news as well, simply for the fact that Troy is trying to create an artificial urban experience while we have an authentic and largely neglected one in downtown Detroit. And if youre looking for cooperation between suburbs and city the suburbs need to put in a much greater effort. The city has tried to go for regional cooperation in the past only to have the suburbs, L. Brooks comes to mind, refuse.

Suspended for that? :blink:

Anyway, for me at least, Detroit probably doesn't do it for me as far as shopping goes. Most malls and big box stores usually don't have what I want, and unless I find a small shop that happens to carry exactly what I like (which is possible, but not very likely) Detroit won't either. Instead I can go online, and find whatever obscure item it is I'm looking for, for cheaper, and I don't have to even go to the store. But that said, I don't buy very much stuff except for people's presents anyway.

I don't think I've ever been to Somerset before. I don't think I've ever even been in Troy, except for the freeway. It's cool being there at night, with the highway lights and cars, and the buildings lights, and the parking lot lights all moving by at different speeds in relation to you.

Anyway, for me at least, Detroit probably doesn't do it for me as far as shopping goes. Most malls and big box stores usually don't have what I want, and unless I find a small shop that happens to carry exactly what I like (which is possible, but not very likely) Detroit won't either. Instead I can go online, and find whatever obscure item it is I'm looking for, for cheaper, and I don't have to even go to the store. But that said, I don't buy very much stuff except for people's presents anyway.

I don't think I've ever been to Somerset before. I don't think I've ever even been in Troy, except for the freeway. It's cool being there at night, with the highway lights and cars, and the buildings lights, and the parking lot lights all moving by at different speeds in relation to you.

He has made some off-the-wall responses to various things, but I didn't think that was that bad.

BTW, I don't shop in Detroit that often either. I live Downriver so there's no need to go north of 8 Mile. The only three malls I need to go to are Frenchtown (in Monroe), Fairlane (in Dearborn), and Southland (in Taylor). Even then I rarely go to the mall.

As far as going north of 8 Mile, I prefer not to. There's *way* too much traffic. I don't mind visiting the communities along Woodward in Southeast Oakland County (Royal Oak, Ferndale, Birmingham, Pontiac, etc.) but it's rare when I do. My life mainly consists of School (in Detroit), Work (in Wyandotte), Home (in Trenton), Family (in New Boston) and Shopping (in Woodhaven or Southgate). Aside from that, I don't go anywhere else.

BTW, I just made up my mind that I'm never going to another Pistons game until they move closer. It seriously took me 2 hours to get from my house to the Palace. I can get to Cedar Point in less time than that...

American Eagle at Somerset!? I never thought I'd see the day. For your average preppy teenager, this is good news. So I am happy. But I was saddened to hear that the Monarch project was put on hold. That area is great for business, but most of the residents are seniors living in retirement homes. Not exactly the kind of young, rich prospects the businesses and mall want to attract. Hopefully interest in the project will start again in a few months.

Both sides are upscale to me, just one slightly more.

I was just in Somerset recently with friends. I was thinking about how much that mall has changed since the first time I went there in seventh grade (about 10 years ago). I think just about every store has changed since then. The mall definitely had more stores, but ever since it blew up into being far more upscale, the units have enlarged which is the whole reason why this mall needs to be expanded.

Downtown Detroit has a lot more work to do to compare to the experience you get at Somerset. Don't take me wrong, I'm a huge urbanist, and love shopping in downtowns. But when you go to Somerset, the atmosphere is bright and incredibly lively. The mall is by no means short of spectacular in design.

• 2 weeks later...

Somerset is fantastic, no question about it. I absolutely love going there. And in April, they're getting an American Eagle store, so I won't have to go Lakeside Mall anymore! You can't beat the cleanliness and rich feel of it. I love the CPK in the mall too, as well as the P.F. Chang's China Bistro. Somerset is definitely the best mall I've ever been to.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived