Somerset Collection

Temeteron

Way off topic, but can someone imagine if this happened at Somerset?

http://www.break.com/index/bubblebandits.html

Tried doing this once at the Grand Traverse Crossings "mall" in Traverse City. The only problem was is that we did it on Devils Night :ph34r: ( about 10 years ago ) and they shut the fountains off at the end of October, so we never got to see it. Tons, well maybe 5 gallons, of industrial strength dish soap "borrowed" from Crystal Mountain Resort. Man, I wish we could have seen it. :(

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pronunciation is the real key.

"Tar-zhay"

"Kro-zhay"

(I have yet to figure out a way to swankify the Hypermart Chain Based in Walker Mich. Usually I refer to it as "Shifty's" or "Fred's." Those who recall the "thrifty acres" moniker understand, and everyone knows who Fred is.)

This proves once and for all that Wal-Mart is not classy. There is no way to make the name sounds classy. lol

This proves once and for all that Wal-Mart is not classy. There is no way to make the name sounds classy. lol

My daughter calls it, well called it when she was 4, the happy-face store :) Smily face, get it? GEEZUS, I HATE WAL-MART.

You can also call it WallyWorld.

I don't know if this is the place to talk about it since it is a completely different type of mall, a lifestyle center, similar to the shops in rochester, but has anyone ever been to Easton Mall in Columbus Ohio? The entire place is built like a small town, like a birmingham or royal oak. Cars can drive through, there is a mcdonalds, a movie theater, a park, fountains, streetlights, streetsigns, even condos and hotels...but the entire complex is really just a glorified mall. It has a fairly large indoor section, but nothing too big. Most of that is just the movie theater. There is parking lots situated around the outside, but on the inside cars can drive through and park on the streets with parking meters as well. It is like being on the set of a movie. Like the truman show or something. You go down an alley to go to the parking lots and the back of the "town" is just blank. It really is quite an amusing place to visit.

I don't know if this is the place to talk about it since it is a completely different type of mall, a lifestyle center, similar to the shops in rochester, but has anyone ever been to Easton Mall in Columbus Ohio? The entire place is built like a small town, like a birmingham or royal oak. Cars can drive through, there is a mcdonalds, a movie theater, a park, fountains, streetlights, streetsigns, even condos and hotels...but the entire complex is really just a glorified mall. It has a fairly large indoor section, but nothing too big. Most of that is just the movie theater. There is parking lots situated around the outside, but on the inside cars can drive through and park on the streets with parking meters as well. It is like being on the set of a movie. Like the truman show or something. You go down an alley to go to the parking lots and the back of the "town" is just blank. It really is quite an amusing place to visit.

There's a mall in Schaumburg IL like that. The parking deck is decorated to look like urban downtown buildings. Comical since Schaumburg is the edge city of edge cities.

Also reads somewhat like the whatever it is in Rochester, and the new section of downtown Hudson OH.

I live in Rochester so ive been to the Village a handful of times. Its nice i suppose and really was an attempt to become a "new" downtown for the area but it doesnt have the history or charm that downtown Rochester has, or I should say has left. Rochester is known to many now as Little Birmingham and will soon lose its charm. No matter how real the make these lifestyle centers look, and from what im told Roch's is one of the nicer ones, it still feels really fake and I get the same stomach cramps I usually get when im in a mall. I dont like it.

JeffM, I grew up in Columbus, OH. Easton Town Center is analogous in many ways to Southfield Town Center except that Easton is retail-focused while Southfield is office highrise-focused. I say this because although they both have semi-dense townhouses built into the town center, it's not a true mixture of uses because the residential is in a separate zone from the other use. In Easton, you have to cross a major road to get from the townhouses to the shopping. In Southfield, it's more integrated, but the residential is definitely walled off on the outside by roads.

Neither is successful as a civic center although both are successful at their real purpose - either as a shopping or office center. Both are quite a ways away from the real downtown. Easton's a lot cuter. Royal Oak and Birmingham naturally beat them both as town centers. Southfield, though, has enough undeveloped greenfield that it could actually go the direction of being a true mixed-use center, and they already have the parking infrastructure, which is currently completely unused beyond the 9 to 5. Add a shuttle that went around the offices, to Northland, the hospital, and Kroger, and you have an actual functional city that isn't completely car-dependent. Well, you'd have to build a lot of nightlife into the new buildings around the offices.

JeffM, I grew up in Columbus, OH. Easton Town Center is analogous in many ways to Southfield Town Center except that Easton is retail-focused while Southfield is office highrise-focused. I say this because although they both have semi-dense townhouses built into the town center, it's not a true mixture of uses because the residential is in a separate zone from the other use. In Easton, you have to cross a major road to get from the townhouses to the shopping. In Southfield, it's more integrated, but the residential is definitely walled off on the outside by roads.

Neither is successful as a civic center although both are successful at their real purpose - either as a shopping or office center. Both are quite a ways away from the real downtown. Easton's a lot cuter. Royal Oak and Birmingham naturally beat them both as town centers. Southfield, though, has enough undeveloped greenfield that it could actually go the direction of being a true mixed-use center, and they already have the parking infrastructure, which is currently completely unused beyond the 9 to 5. Add a shuttle that went around the offices, to Northland, the hospital, and Kroger, and you have an actual functional city that isn't completely car-dependent. Well, you'd have to build a lot of nightlife into the new buildings around the offices.

I've only been to Easton once, and I agree it did seem fake, but it was cute, and a nice break from normal malls. The hotels, townhouses , etc, were seperate from the "city" center. But it was still very interesting. I have always thought more shopping and , restaurants and nightlife would have been cool at the southfield town center around where i live, between 10 and 11 by Evergreen and Civic Center. They added new townhouses and a new strip mall which is mostly small restaurants. The town center is just really one massive office complex is it not? Easton is basically a movie set town with retail in it.

http://www.eastontowncenter.com/directions.../eastonmaps.cfm

I find it funny that they have multiple districts...and the coke machines around the town center have 1950's americana pictures of men in office suits with Easton logos on them. It is certainly an interesting place to visit.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a bit late to this conversation, but I've been to Somerset Collection a number of times and I love it. The atmosphere is what I go for, as well as the retailers that are harder to find elsewhere (such as the Sony Store). The people may be snooty, but who cares? I am an upper-middle class white teenage male, and I also think American teenagers there are quite snooty, but I choose to not pay attention to them. It is one of the cleanest and most beautiful shopping places I have been to and I can't wait to go again this summer. One bone I have to pick with Somerset is the eating places. VERY overpriced and a lack of variety. I want Somerset to get an Olga's Kitchen, if it doesn't already. But overall, I love Somerset. It's atmosphere of sophistication makes a trip to the mall seem like it will solve all of your problems. :lol:

I also like Great Lakes Crossing as well as Oakland Mall (for sentimental reasons), although Oakland Mall has seen better days.

i know it would never happen, but it would be cool if they took the Louis Vitton store out of somerset and put it in downtown Detroit, itd bring rich people out there...if they werent too afraid to go

lol, the rich people in the burbs, haven't had a different view of Detroit since July of 1967, if you took louis vitton, and put it say on Jefferson, or Woodward. They'd just go to the one in Chicago. There will have to be an influx of wealthy residents back to downtown, before you could justifyably add the classy high end retail that exists in healthier cities.

Archived