Pothole Season

So I noticed on City of GR's website that they have this (it's new to me) report a pothole system where you click on the map and you can check the status-n-stuff...you can also check current inquiries made by other people...

I know we had a thread about the failing roads and how we should report every one of those critters...

http://www.grand-rapids.mi.us/591

Edit: After zooming in here are the options of what you can report:

Street Signs

Potholes

Dead Animals

Recycling Misses

Yard Waste Miss

Sewage in Basement

Sinkhole in Street

Manhole Cover is Off

Plugged Catch Basin

Police Thank You

Police Complaint

Exits

Streetlights

Ipp Screener Survey

Abandon Vehicle

Hydrant Request

Graffiti

I apologize in advance if a lot of people already know this, but I just thought this was the neatest thing.

• 2 years later...

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So yesterday (late morning) I got onto Favorite City's issue reporting site, and requested some love for my little 1-1/2 lane dead-end street. It's concrete, but could easily be confused with the lunar surface. I suggested a layer of pavement or at least some cold patch.

This morning I'm headed out to the scenic & sprawling wasteland that is the Twp where I work. Blocking my path is a big yellow truck. Guess whose logo on the side, and on the attire of the charming woman shoveling cold patch into the worst offenders. Turn time: about 20 hours.

My new best friend said that they appreciate being directed to the locations of the big holes, otherwise they are driving around looking for them.

Report those street issues, folks!

While I was at it yesterday, I tagged the two double-deckers out front of the Masonic Temple on Fulton. Anyone in the vicinity, feel free to report...

So yesterday (late morning) I got onto Favorite City's issue reporting site, and requested some love for my little 1-1/2 lane dead-end street. It's concrete, but could easily be confused with the lunar surface. I suggested a layer of pavement or at least some cold patch.

This morning I'm headed out to the scenic & sprawling wasteland that is the Twp where I work. Blocking my path is a big yellow truck. Guess whose logo on the side, and on the attire of the charming woman shoveling cold patch into the worst offenders. Turn time: about 20 hours.

My new best friend said that they appreciate being directed to the locations of the big holes, otherwise they are driving around looking for them.

Report those street issues, folks!

While I was at it yesterday, I tagged the two double-deckers out front of the Masonic Temple on Fulton. Anyone in the vicinity, feel free to report...

Yeah, I tagged that giant one in front of the Masonic Temple a couple of weeks ago because it could practically eat a bicycle wheel. The software basically said that it was the responsibility of the Kent County Roads Dept. and the request would be forwarded on. The next day, July 25th, I got an email saying that the item had been resolved and closed, which I now assume meant that it had been forwarded by the city to the County. A couple of days later some barricades appeared around it, basically blocking off the whole right lane. I thought that meant they were going to fix it soon. A day or two later, the barricades disappeared and were replaced with some cones, one cone sitting all the way down in the hole and sticking out. The cones were just run over by traffic and I noticed a few destroyed looking ones on the side of the road.

For the last week there's basically been nothing there, but the hole is only getting bigger. Is there a deadline by which the county (assuming they really are the responsible entity) must fix this after they've been notified about it? Maybe I'll try and take a photo, but it really is getting quite large, and it's not terribly visible from far away.

I can assure you that Fulton in front of the Masonic temple is NOT under the jurisdiction of the Kent County Road Commission. Even back in the day when Fulton was M-21, it was the City's responsibility to maintain it for the DOT. The statute says the highway authority has 30 days after it's been put on notice for a defect before it has liability for damage.

Well, here is the text that appears when I try to mark a pothole in front of the Mason bldg on the city's pothole reporting application.

"Warning: The location you selected is not maintained by the City of Grand Rapids. Instead it falls within the jurisdiction of Kent County Road Commission. If you continue with the request it will be forwarded to the correct organization for handling by them."

Perhaps I will have to send an email directly to someone at the city.

I just selected the spot again, zoomed out one time further on the map, and it didn't give me the Kent County warning.

So, I submitted my inquiry with this message:

"There is STILL a giant pothole at this location and it is getting bigger. For a time there were some cones placed around it, but people appear to have just run them over. I first reported this on July 25th. If it's not fixed within 30 days the city can be held liable for any damages it causes. Please take care of this dangerous hazard on one of the city's busier roads. Thanks a lot!"

We'll see if it just gets brushed off again.

Finished repair:

pothole.jpg

The workers seemed to be using the time-honored dental technique of making it worse before making it better; when I rode by it had been enlarged quite a bit. I guess the topping of loose gravel is like chopped nuts on a frosted cake.

Also note that the smaller one (further out in the travel lane) was filled with plain ol' asphalt.

Finished repair:

The workers seemed to be using the time-honored dental technique of making it worse before making it better; when I rode by it had been enlarged quite a bit. I guess the topping of loose gravel is like chopped nuts on a frosted cake.

Also note that the smaller one (further out in the travel lane) was filled with plain ol' asphalt.

Yup, the bad part I'm thinking of is from Liberty to Market, all within GR city limits. No large potholes, just many small holes and the sides are crumbling away.

I also notised today that a section of the riverwalk has caved in by 6 inches just north of the Blue Bridge on the west side of the river. Use caution if you plan on biking through there. Let's see if it will allow me to report riverwalk damage.

Finished repair:

pothole.jpg

Archived