Should the State House take the fight out of the Gamecock?

Spartan

Should the spur be removed the the Fighting Gamecock?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Should the spur be removed the the Fighting Gamecock?

• Yes
    • No

Every paper in the state today has an article about Richland County Senator Darrell Jackson's suggestion that the spur be taken off of the Gamecock, the mascot of the University of Couth Carolina. This move is parallel to the state's recent crackdown on cockfighting.

"USC traces its gamecock history to Revolutionary War leader Thomas Sumter, whose fearlessness led the British to call him "South Carolina Game Cock."

http://www.sc.edu/usc/gamecock.html

PETA tried to do the same thing two years ago, and everyone just laughed at them.

USC-Gamecock_2.jpg

I can't speak for everyone else, but my Gamecock will always have spurs.

Links: The State

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're all entitle to our own opinions, but I cannot believe that people are voting yes. Why don't we just continue removing all native american related mascots. And to keep it going, why don't we remove all cowboy related mascots because they oppressed the native americans. We might as well just change the name of Columbia, because it's named after Columbus, and if he had not found the Americas, the Native Americans would have never been oppressed.

You see, you can find something in everything that just might offend someone, and america has become entirely too sensitive to everything. Let the Gamecock be, it's not hurting anything.

Historic or not, I think it is many times negative for the state's image. JMHO. -_-

You seriously think so? You think people really give it that much thought?

USC's mascot is the LAST thing that gives this state a negative image. Would you like for me to give you some exceptional examples? ;)

If you REALLY want to see a state whose flagship university has a negative image, check out Mississippi. *shudders*

Yes, and not just the spur I believe the entire mascot should be changed, and it has nothing to do with ethical treatment of animals or cockfighting. I think the mascot should be the sandlapper, which also derived from the revolutionary war.

Sandlapper Definition:

During the Revolutionary War untrained South Carolinians fighting overwhelming numbers of highly trained British troops fought from any position that would give them an advantage. The overly confident Brits continued to march shoulder to shoulder and jeer at the colonials, who often attacked while lying on their bellies in the sandy soil. Derisively calling them sandlappers, the British taunted them until the pesky little

I think the mascot, Sandlapper, is a nobel one. It would be a good choice. I say nay though, because being a tiger here, I'd hate to see such a source of pride be tied into one school. I'd not like the idea of a Sandlapper period for much the same reason I don't like gamecocks now. :) You'd be alienating half of the state from something that is rightfully their's too.

Well what about NC? It's the Tarheel state, and that's UNC's nickname, the Tarheels (although I have absolutely no idea where the ram came from; that one's always been lost on me). Personally, I think a state's flagship university has that right, in a way.

Thats acutally not bad sandlapper.... but I don't think that woudl fly very well. The Gamecock has been our mascot for almost as long as we've had sports at USC. Garnet and Black are tradition too! I am not big on changing traditions.

I never even noticed that the Gamecock had spurs, and I have had to look at that ugly logo my entire life when Clemson plays South Carolina in any sport. I am sure there are many others who have never noticed either. So from that standpoint, I don't think it reflects poorly on our state.

I do, however, think it is pretty funny how South Carolina grads/fans call Clemson "Moo U" and a "farm school," yet our state's supposed "flagship university" has a fighting chicken for a mascot! :rofl:

I never even noticed that the Gamecock had spurs, and I have had to look at that ugly logo my entire life when Clemson plays South Carolina in any sport. I am sure there are many others who have never noticed either. So from that standpoint, I don't think it reflects poorly on our state.

I do, however, think it is pretty funny how South Carolina grads/fans call Clemson "Moo U" and a "farm school," yet our state's supposed "flagship university" has a fighting chicken for a mascot! :rofl:

orrrr it could be because Clemson is an ag school. You know- Farms. Trees. Stuff like that.

Maybe the steer is more befitting Clemson since the creature known as the tiger isn't exactly indigenious to SC, let alone the upstate. Some would say there is a lot of bull in Clemson.

Seems to me the only real tigers in the state are in cages in the Columbia zoo. Kinda ironic isn't it.

:silly:

The whole suggestion is ridiculous. It is totally different than having a Native American mascot. Mascots are supposed to be fierce.

How 'bout them Fightin' Whiteys? :silly:

NN5a.gif

Maybe the steer is more befitting Clemson since the creature known as the tiger isn't exactly indigenious to SC, let alone the upstate. Some would say there is a lot of bull in Clemson.

Seems to me the only real tigers in the state are in cages in the Columbia zoo. Kinda ironic isn't it.

:silly:

haha, great point metro! :thumbsup:

Yes, and not just the spur I believe the entire mascot should be changed, and it has nothing to do with ethical treatment of animals or cockfighting. I think the mascot should be the sandlapper, which also derived from the revolutionary war.

Sandlapper Definition:

During the Revolutionary War untrained South Carolinians fighting overwhelming numbers of highly trained British troops fought from any position that would give them an advantage. The overly confident Brits continued to march shoulder to shoulder and jeer at the colonials, who often attacked while lying on their bellies in the sandy soil. Derisively calling them sandlappers, the British taunted them until the pesky little

I understand your point of view Skyliner, but the symbolism isn't rooted in the "poor, rural, backwoods South." And even if it is, the symbolism has been transformed into something positive; history is full of examples such as these (eg, Sandlappers, Tarheels, Christians, etc.). And I really don't think that anyone (or many) really views the mascot in a negative light, at least within the context you suggest. It's just a mascot.

If they removed it completely there would be major outrage from people accross the state.

Back on topic though, they are only suggesting that the spur be removed, not the mascot itself. I still think it is rediculous, but its better than removing it entirely.

Archived