Should the State House take the fight out of the Gamecock?

Spartan

Should the spur be removed the the Fighting Gamecock?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Should the spur be removed the the Fighting Gamecock?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I may be wrong but I believe spurs are a natural feature on gamecocks; like ankles are a natural feature on humans albeit some are more visble than others.

The spurs are definately not natural. The image I showed earlier doesn't show it very well, but the talons of the gamecock are suppsed to be an orange/yellow and the spur is a grey/silver color. In cockfighting, spurs are attached to make the animals tear eachother up faster. Thats why the sport is illegal.

The spurs are definately not natural. The image I showed earlier doesn't show it very well, but the talons of the gamecock are suppsed to be an orange/yellow and the spur is a grey/silver color. In cockfighting, spurs are attached to make the animals tear eachother up faster. Thats why the sport is illegal.

Ok, now that I look at your pic I do see the artificial spurs. But why should they be removed? If the spurs should be removed, then there are several other things that need to be removed from mascots all over America. For instance, someone may have a problem with the tomahawk that is synonymous with the Braves. They may say that Indians used the tomahawks to kill their enemies, which is illegal in todays society. Or someone could blow Notre Dame's mascot out of proportion and say "The Fighting Irish" sobriquet is stereotypical, because it evokes in ones mind that all Irishmen have bad tempers.

Just a thought :rolleyes:

Ok, now that I look at your pic I do see the artificial spurs. But why should they be removed? If the spurs should be removed, then there are several other things that need to be removed from mascots all over America. For instance, someone may have a problem with the tomahawk that is synonymous with the Braves. They may say that Indians used the tomahawks to kill their enemies, which is illegal in todays society. Or someone could blow Notre Dame's mascot out of proportion and say "The Fighting Irish" sobriquet is stereotypical, because it evokes in ones mind that all Irishmen have bad tempers.

Just a thought :rolleyes:

Native Americans have taken issue with the tomahawk depictions of the Atlanta Braves. Native Americans were no more blood thirsty than the white men who came here and subdued them, but the the tomahawk continues perputuate the myth that Native Americans were brutal savages that had to be tamed by white civilization.

I think everyone is missing the point why should a State represetitive who we are paying wasting our hard erned money on something as trivial as a spur on a college mascot. I guess all of the important issues like High college tuition and job loss to other countries were already solved. I am a Clemson tiger thru and thru, But I say save the spur if for no other reason than to show the government were there focus should be.

Archived